Bob Iger Comments on “Woke” Criticisms, Says Disney Isn’t Out “To Advance Any Sort of Agenda”

The Walt Disney Company just held its Annual Meeting of Shareholders for 2024 and came out victorious in the battle for seats on the Board of Directors.

2024-the-walt-Disney-company-annual-shar

©Disney

Disney CEO Bob Iger referred to the proxy battle as a “distraction” during a question-and-answer session held after the meeting, where he also gave updates on several different areas of business — including a new trailer for Inside Out 2 and a new look at the Moana sequel. And, Iger yet again commented on Disney’s “woke agenda” in movies.

During the April 3rd meeting, shareholders voted in support of Disney’s current board and the 12 directors it recommended. You can learn more about that decision here, but it was CEO Bob Iger’s comments after the vote during a question-and-answer session where things really started to heat up — especially when he was asked whether or not it was possible for Disney to stay out of the “social and political debate.”

2024-wdc-bob-iger-shareholder-video-1-70

©Disney

Disney and Iger have been accused of pushing a “woke agenda” with its latest film and television releases, diversity initiatives, and overall commitments to inclusion.

During the 2023 Shareholder Meeting, one individual shared how, in their opinion, Disney’s films and entertainment are “increasingly promoting the woke agenda.” They went on to accuse Disney of choosing to “collaborate” with “predators to sing to children.” The individual concluded with another question, “Would it not be beneficial for the Company to ditch the LGBTQIA+ and gender ideology for good?” His advice was to “Turn Disney back to the a-political fun place that it used to be and I bet that you’ll win back both the trust of families and the stock market.”

2024-wdw-atmo-mk-magic-kingdom-cinderell

Cinderella Castle

Iger’s response back then was to say that Disney prides itself on being “accessible to all people.” He acknowledged that Disney has “recently gotten criticism…for what some perceive to be agenda-driven content.” Iger shared that he is sensitive to that and that Disney’s “primary mission needs to be to entertain.”

To drive this home, Iger said, “I’m very serious about that. It should not be agenda-driven. It should be entertainment-driven. That should be the goal in all of our stories.”

2024-wdc-bob-iger-shareholder-video--700

©Disney

It seems Iger hasn’t changed his thoughts on the matter, because when he was asked a similar question during the 2024 Shareholder Meeting, he said:

“Our job is to entertain first and foremost, and by telling great stories, we continue to have a positive impact on the world and inspire future generations, just as we’ve done for over 100 years. Disney has always been and will continue to be a source of hope, joy and optimism for people of all ages. We’re committed to telling stories that reflect the world around us and using those stories to entertain people from all walks of life.”

Screen-Shot-2023-09-18-at-8.56.29-PM-700

©Disney

He continued, “I’ve always believed that we have a responsibility to do good in the world. But we know our job is not to advance any kind of agenda. So as long as I’m in the job, I’m going to continue to be guided by a sense of decency and respect. And we will always trust our instincts.”

2024-wdw-atmo-dhs-hollywood-studios-ride

Hollywood Studios

Ultimately, though, Iger said he doesn’t “get distracted by those things” when asked about Elon Musk’s trolling of the company. “People have been coming after me and the company for years,” he added.

And as far as Disney’s “woke agenda” goes, he said, “The term woke is thrown around rather liberally, no pun intended in that regard. I think a lot of people don’t even understand really what it means.”

2024-wdw-epcot-atmos-flower-and-garden-f

EPCOT

“I think the noise is sort of quieted down. I’ve been preaching this for a long time at the company before I left and since I came back then our number one goal is to entertain,” he continued. “The bottom line is that infusing messaging as a sort of a number one priority in our films and TV shows is not what we’re up to. They need to be entertaining, and where the Disney company can have a positive impact on the world whether it’s you know, fostering acceptance and understanding of people of all different types, great.

“But generally speaking, we need to be an entertainment first company … And understanding that look, we’re trying to reach a very, very diverse audience. And on one hand in order to do that, what you do, the stories you tell, have to really reflect the audience that you’re trying to reach, but that audience because they are so diverse, really, first and foremost, they want to be entertained, and sometimes they can’t be turned off by certain things. And we just have to be more sensitive to the interest of a broad audience. It’s not easy, you know, so that he can’t please everybody all the time, right?”

Disney-CEO-Bob-Iger-wwdc-23-keynote-appl

©Apple

What this means for the future of Disney content remains to be seen, but one thing is for sure — we’ll be on the lookout for the latest news and updates from the Walt Disney Company.

10 Controversial Things Bob Iger Has Said About Disney’s Alleged ‘Woke Agenda’

Join the DFB Newsletter to get all the breaking news right in your inbox! Click here to Subscribe!

WE KNOW DISNEY.
YOU CAN, TOO.

DFBGuide-ShortCode-Image-1.png

Oh boy, planning a Disney trip can be quite the adventure, and we totally get it! But fear not, dear friends, we compiled EVERYTHING you need (and the things to avoid!) to plan the ULTIMATE Disney vacation.

Whether you're a rookie or a seasoned pro, our insider tips and tricks will have you exploring the parks like never before. So come along with us, and get planning your most magical vacation ever!

Are you a Disney shareholder? Tell us in the comments.

The post Bob Iger Comments on "Woke" Criticisms, Says Disney Isn't Out "To Advance Any Sort of Agenda" first appeared on the disney food blog.

View the full article