Why I Regret Staying at a Disney World Hotel

Disney4me

We’re constantly talking about the Disney World hotels — why you should stay on property, which hotel you should choose, and what perks they have.

2022-wdw-disneys-grand-floridian-resort-

Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort

There are SO many options in Disney World, but there are even more options outside of the resort! From other hotel brands to Airbnbs, you could just as easily stay off-property. And if you’re on the fence with that decision, today we’re telling you why we’ve regretted staying in Disney World hotels in the past!

I Wanted to Cook Meals

Our first reason for regretting a Disney World Resort stay? We would’ve rather had a kitchen! Only select Disney hotel rooms come with kitchens, and most of the are found at the Disney Vacation Club properties, which are more expensive than the regular hotels.

2023-wdw-disneys-grand-floridian-resort-

Coffee Bar

If you’re staying in a regular room, you’ll be left with nothing more than a coffee bar and a mini-fridge, most of the time. So if you want the kitchen, the price will be significantly higher! That’s a bummer for those who like to do some of their meals at the hotel to save money.

2023-wdw-disneys-art-of-animation-resort

Kitchenette

If you go off-site, you’ll be able to rent vacation homes that have ample kitchen space, usually for much cheaper than you’ll find in Disney World.

I Didn’t Have Enough Space

Another problem we’ve had with Disney World hotels is the lack of space. Similar to the kitchen dilemma, you have to pay a LOT more to get a substantial amount of space in your hotel room. And space might be a necessity if you’re a larger family or need some alone time.

2023-wdw-caribbean-beach-resort-under-th

The bed

There are some places you can stay in Disney World that offer 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, and 3-bedroom accommodations, but they cost hundreds (if not thousands) more per night than your basic 4-person hotel room. Rental homes off-property are probably a better choice if everyone wants their own room and bathroom space!

I Wish I’d Saved More Money

Let’s be honest — Disney World Resorts are NOT cheap! Even the cheapest hotel accommodations are well over $100 per night in the slow season. (And those all the All-Star Resorts, the least impressive of the bunch!) If you want to stay in a Deluxe Resort, you’re often looking at $500/night or more.

2023-wdw-atmo-disneys-polynesian-village

Polynesian Resort

Probably the biggest reason people choose to stay off-site is to save the dough. If all you’re doing at your hotel is sleeping, then it might not be worth it to get the “Disney experience.” Instead, you can save that cash for souvenirs, a nice meal, a fun experience, or extra days of park tickets.

I Spent Too Much Time Waiting On/Riding Buses

There are several ways to get from the hotels to the parks in Disney World. Some resorts have walking paths, while others have Monorail or boat transportation to select parks. But all of the Disney World Resorts have some form of bus transportation. And with a few of the hotels, bus transportation can be a PAIN.

2023-WDW-Disney-Bus-Transportation-Atmo-

Disney Bus

Resorts like Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Saratoga Springs, and Old Key West all have internal bus loops, since the resorts are so large. Because of this, you may spend a lot of time on the bus going around to different stops before you arrive at your destination.

2022-wdw-caribbean-beach-resort-building

Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort

On top of that, there are some resorts (like the All-Stars and Coronado Springs) where bus transportation is the only option to get places. If you’re anti-bus or want to get to your destination faster, you might consider either bringing a car or staying somewhere off-site where you can park right at your door. It’s easier that way!

It Was a LONG Walk to My Room

Some of the Disney World resorts are BIG, and not all the rooms are close to the main parts of the hotel or the transportation drop-off spots. Even at some of the Deluxe Resorts (like Grand Floridian and the Polynesian Village Resort), the rooms are spread out away from the lobby, the boats, and the Monorail.

wdw-2022-disneys-port-orleans-resort-fre

Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter Resort

We’ve definitely been those people who were SO exhausted at the end of the night that a long hike back to the room was almost too much to bear. And if you want to cut back on those steps, it might be easier to stay at an off-site hotel where there’s one entry point or at a vacation rental where you can get dropped off at the door.

2021-WDW-Disneys-Polynesian-Village-Reso

Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

So there you have it — the reasons why you might not want to stay in a Disney World hotel! Don’t forget that staying onsite comes with certain perks, like Early Theme Park Entry, discounted MagicBands, and the ability to book your dining reservations all at once. You’ll just want to weigh the pros and cons.

Stay tuned to DFB for more Disney World tips and advice!

The Best Disney World Hotels for 2024 — Click Here!

Join the DFB Newsletter to get all the breaking news right in your inbox! Click here to Subscribe!

WE KNOW DISNEY.
YOU CAN, TOO.

DFBGuide-ShortCode-Image-1.png

Oh boy, planning a Disney trip can be quite the adventure, and we totally get it! But fear not, dear friends, we compiled EVERYTHING you need (and the things to avoid!) to plan the ULTIMATE Disney vacation.

Whether you're a rookie or a seasoned pro, our insider tips and tricks will have you exploring the parks like never before. So come along with us, and get planning your most magical vacation ever!

Are you staying at a Disney World hotel soon? Let us know in the comments!

The post Why I Regret Staying at a Disney World Hotel first appeared on the disney food blog.

View the full article