REVIEW: We Found a DELICIOUS and FILLING Lunch in Disney’s Animal Kingdom for UNDER $10

Disney4me

If you’ve been following us for a while, you probably know that Disney’s Animal Kingdom has some of our favorite food in Disney World.

2023-wdw-dak-tree-of-life-stock-1-700x52

Animal Kingdom

Whether you’re looking for a quick snack or a table service meal, there are a ton of delicious options to choose from. Recently, I stopped by The Smiling Crocodile for lunch. Keep reading for my full review!

Atmosphere

The Smiling Crocodile, which was once called the Gardens Kiosk, is located on Discovery Island.

2023-wdw-dak-the-smiling-crocodile-atmo-

The Smiling Crocodile

You can find this small stand near Flame Tree Barbecue, which is beneficial because you can take advantage of its expansive seating area by the water.

flame-tree-barbecue-seating-2-600x465.jp

Flame Tree Barbecue seating

It’s a small kiosk with an even smaller menu — come take a look!

Menu

In the past, this spot had a frequently changing menu with some unique items like the Pulled Pork Jelly Doughnut Sandwich. In recent years, it has consistently served various tacos. The Pulled Pork Jelly Doughnut Sandwich has moved down to Eight Spoon Cafe.

2023-wdw-dak-the-smiling-crocodile-menu-

The Menu

Now, you can find three styles of tacos, chips and salsa, and a selection of drinks.

Eats

I decided to order the Pulled Pork Street Tacos for $9.99, the Street Corn Tacos for $9.99, and the Guava Limeade for $5.49.

2023-wdw-dak-the-smiling-crocodile-full-

Full spread

The Street Corn Tacos came with two tacos filled with black beans, roasted corn, poblano peppers, red onion, pico de gallo, lime crema, and cotija cheese. They were also served with chips and salsa.

2023-wdw-dak-the-smiling-crocodile-stree

Street Corn Tacos

These were a bit spicy! I really loved the flavors on this — the sweet corn, tangy tomatoes, and bright onions paired really well with the creamy cotija cheese, which was soft and a little sharp-tasting. The cheese helped balance the spices and made the tacos taste a little more complex.

Street Corn Tacos

I thought the lime wedge also really brightened these up and added another nice tangy component.

YUM

Overall these were good, but the tortillas were not the best corn tortillas I’ve had. They were a tad on the dry side, which is typical of corn tortillas, but they didn’t have enough flavor to make up for it and it didn’t seem like they had been warmed or steamed.

Not the best tortillas, unfortunately

The chips and salsa on the side, however, were great! The chips seemed fresh and were well-salted.

2023-wdw-dak-the-smiling-crocodile-pulle

Chips and salsa

The salsa was tangy and bright and reminded me of a salsa verde. It was a tad spicy but nothing too overwhelming.

Salsa

Next, the Pulled Pork Street Tacos came with two pulled pork tacos tossed in a house-made sauce and topped with lime crema, cotija cheese, cabbage, and pickled onion. They were served chips and salsa.

Pulled Pork Street Tacos

I loved these! The pork was tender, savory, and salty in a good way. They had a little bit of spice but not a ton.

Pulled Pork Street Tacos

The pickled onions and peppers added a deliciously bright, vinegary, and slightly sweet flavor that went so well with the pork and added some spice. There was also a lot of fun texture between the crunchy cabbage and the creamy cotija cheese and crema.

The tacos themselves were savory and actually really filling — there was a good amount of pork in them so I thought these were a great deal!

A LOT of pork

Lastly, I had the Guava Limeade for $5.59. At first sip, I wasn’t a huge fan of this one. The guava flavor was really strong which I thought was overpowering, but once the ice started to melt it mellowed out a ton.

2023-wdw-dak-the-smiling-crocodile-guava

Guava Limeade

Once the ice softened the flavors, I thought this was a really refreshing drink. It was tart, sweet, and very lime-forward with a sweet fruity kick at the end.

Overall

If you’re looking for a quick snack in Disney’s Animal Kingdom, it can be tough to narrow it down. There are so many great options!

2023-wdw-dak-the-smiling-crocodile-full-

Full spread

Overall, I thought this location was a worthwhile stop, especially if you’re in the mood for tacos. While the tortillas weren’t the best ones I’ve ever had, overall the flavors were great and I’d order them both again. If you’re looking for a quick and affordable snack, you could order the chips and salsa for $4.99, which is a great option!

Nosh or Not

Check out The Smiling Crocodile if…

• You want something quick and easy
  • You love tacos
  • You’re on a budget

Skip this spot if…

• You have picky eaters in your group
  • You want a more elevated dining experience
  • You don’t love corn tortillas

We’ll continue bringing you all the latest Disney news and food reviews, so stay tuned to DFB for more!

REVIEW: We’re Trying an Underrated Snack in EPCOT’s World Showcase!

Which park in Disney World do you think has the best food? Let us know in the comments below!

The post REVIEW: We Found a DELICIOUS and FILLING Lunch in Disney’s Animal Kingdom for UNDER first appeared on the disney food blog.

View the full article