REVIEW: We Tried 3 Entrees at This Disney World Hotel Restaurant, and 1 Was the Clear WINNER

Disney4me

In order to find some of Disney World’s best meals, you’ll need to leave the parks.

2023-wdw-riverside-mill-food-court-exter

Riverside Mill Food Court

Sure, we love the Cheeseburger Springs Rolls in Magic Kingdom, and Flame Tree Barbecue’s Pulled Pork Fries in Disney’s Animal Kingdom are iconic. But, Disney World’s hotels are full of some eats that you don’t want to miss! From Tonga Toast to Mickey Beignets, there are so many hidden gems outside of the parks. Over at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort — Riverside, there’s a quick-service dining spot nestled along the water — Riverside Mill Food Court. I stopped by for lunch recently to see how it compares to some of our other favorite hotel spots — read on for the full review!

Atmosphere

Riverside Mill Food Court sits on the Sassagoula River at Disney’s Port Orleans — Riverside. On the side of the building, you’ll see a 32-foot water wheel!

2023-wdw-riverside-mill-food-court-exter

Water wheel

Inside the restaurant is a large dining room with tons of wooden tables and chairs, as well as the working cotton press that is powered by the big mill outside.

2023-wdw-riverside-mill-food-court-dinin

Dining room

This spot serves up all kinds of options, from traditional quick-service fare like pizza and burgers to more Louisiana-inspired food like Jambalaya and Shrimp and Grits. Typical of a food court, there are multiple windows to order from, depending on what kind of food you’re in the mood for.

2023-wdw-riverside-mill-food-court-700x5

Riverside Mill Food Court

In the center of the room, there is a large area for self-service options, like coffee…

2023-wdw-riverside-mill-food-court-self-

Coffee

soft drinks

Beverages

condiments

Condiments

…and utensils.

Self-serve station

The restaurant also offers Mobile Ordering, but keep in mind that not all of the options are available this way.

2023-wdw-riverside-mill-food-court-mobil

Mobile Order window

Let’s take a look at the menu!

Menu

There are quite a few counters with different styles of food. To start, you’ll find a window with Create-Your-Own-Entrees, which includes options like the Mojo-roasted Chicken and Panko-crusted Salmon, each served with two sides of your choice.

2023-wdw-riverside-mill-food-court-menu-

Entrees

There’s also a window with more New Orleans-style food, like the Jambalaya and Gumbo.

Entrees

This window also serves options like Shrimp and Grits and Chicken Parmesan Pasta. There’s also a Macaroni & Cheese with Barbecued Beef that has made its way to a few of the food courts on property — we tried it at Disney’s All-Star Sports Resort in June.

Entrees

At another window, you’ll find options like the Korean-style Impossible Burger, French Dip, and Chicken Strips.

Entrees

There is also a Bacon Cheddar Cheeseburger, Grilled Chicken Sandwich, and Bayou Amber Ale Burger at this window, as well as a few kids’ meals.

Entrees

In another section, you’ll find cold sandwiches, like the Ham and Cheddar Sandwich and the Pimento BLT, as well as a Mediterranean Curry-Chickpea Sandwich. Here, you’ll also be able to order specialty coffee and milk shakes.

Riverside Mill

This spot also has a few fun options in its bakery case, like a Brownie Sundae and a Cookies ‘n Cream Sundae Cupcake.

Desserts menu

You can also order hand-dipped ice cream!

Desserts menu

The bakery case here is tempting, but sadly the Cherry Cobbler that we once loved has been missing for a few years.

2023-wdw-riverside-mill-food-court-baker

Bakery Case

Let’s eat!

Eats

I ordered the Bayou Amber Ale Burger for $13.99, the Mojo-roasted Chicken for $14.79, the Shrimp and Grits for $15.29, and a Side of Macaroni and Cheese for $4.99.

2023-wdw-riverside-mill-food-court-full-

Full spread

The Bayou Amber Ale Burger is topped with Spicy Shredded Prime Rib and an Amber Ale Cheese Sauce, served on a Toasted Brioche Bun, and comes with French Fries.

2023-wdw-riverside-mill-food-court-bayou

Bayou Amber Ale Burger

The beer cheese on this was great! It was rich, nutty, and creamy and complemented the prime rib really well. The prime rib, which was flavorful with bits of char throughout, made this incredibly hearty and filling.

Beer cheeeeeeese

Unfortunately, the burger itself was just okay. It was tender enough but not great, and it definitely could have used more seasoning.

Bayou Amber Ale Burger

Overall this was a bit underwhelming because of the burger, unfortunately. If it weren’t for the mediocre patty this would probably be amazing! The fries were good though — your typical hot and fresh Disney World french fries.

French Fries

I ordered the Mojo-roasted Chicken, which is part of a Create-Your-Own-Entree, with Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes and Garlic Green Beans.

2023-wdw-riverside-mill-food-court-creat

Mojo-roasted Chicken

The chicken was pretty juicy and tender — save for a few small parts — and the exterior skin was beautifully crispy and golden brown. It tasted a bit herby and garlicky, but overall wasn’t bursting with flavor.

Chicken

I thought the chicken itself was enjoyable enough if you’re looking for something a bit healthier, but it didn’t blow me away.

Chicken

The potatoes were flavorful, with bits of skin throughout, but the texture wasn’t amazing. You could tell they were sitting in a heated tray waiting to be served.

Potatoes

I did love the green beans though! They were fresh, a little crunchy, bright, and very garlicky.

Green beans

Thankfully, the Shrimp and Grits were a grand slam! After I ordered, I watched as a Cast Member got started on the dish, adding fresh garlic and shrimp right into a pan!

2023-wdw-riverside-mill-food-court-shrim

Shrimp and Grits

This dish is made with Shrimp, Grits, Smoked Ham, Vegetables, and Cream Sauce, and I was really impressed with how fresh it was, especially for a food court meal.

Shrimp and Grits

To me, this was perfect. The fact that you can watch it being made adds a nice touch — seeing the chef sauté up some garlic, add the shrimp, and so on was so fun!! As for the flavor, the cream sauce was SO decadent and delicious, packed with flavor from the garlic and smoked ham, and made this a really satisfying meal.

Shrimp and Grits

The shrimp were cooked perfectly — not overdone — and the bed of grits was soft but with a bit of that gritty texture you can expect from grits. This was a bit more of a cream sauce-based Shrimp and Grits than what I typically see around Disney World, which I loved, but keep that in mind if you’re not looking for something so heavy.

YUM

Lastly, the side of Macaroni and Cheese was very similar to sides of Macaroni and Cheese that you’ll find around Disney World — creamy, soft, and delicious.

2023-wdw-riverside-mill-food-court-macar

Macaroni and Cheese

It’s not quite as flavorful as the iconic Macaroni and Cheese from Gasparilla Island Grill that we love, but it’s a great affordable option if you’re looking to add some comfort food.

2023-wdw-riverside-mill-food-court-macar

Macaroni and Cheese

Keep in mind that it is not baked, however, so it won’t have any crispy edges!

Overall

As a whole, I enjoyed the offerings here, but some meals were more impressive than others. While the Create-Your-Own-Entrees were prepared ahead of time and might not be worth the money, there are a few New Orleans-inspired options that are worth checking out.

Shrimp and Grits

The restaurant is great for groups of people who are all looking for something different. Also, we really love Disney’s Port Orleans Resorts — so it might be worth it to take a boat over from Disney Springs to experience it and grab a bite to eat.

Nosh or Not

Take a boat ride over to Riverside Mill Food Court if…

• You love New Orleans Style food
  • You have a group with a large variety of preferences
  • You are staying at one of Disney’s Port Orleans Resorts and want a good quick-service meal

Skip this waterside restaurant if…

• You are on a tight schedule and not staying at Port Orleans Resort
  • You want a more elevated dining experience
  • You don’t care for New Orleans-style food

We’ll continue bringing you all the latest Disney news and food reviews, so stay tuned to DFB for more!

NEVER Order These 4 Items at Disney World Restaurants

What is your quick service restaurant in Disney World? Let us know in the comments below!

The post REVIEW: We Tried 3 Entrees at This Disney World Hotel Restaurant, and 1 Was the Clear WINNER first appeared on the disney food blog.

View the full article