“Ron, You’re Right” — Fired Marvel Exec Says He Sided With DeSantis Over Disney

Disney4me

In an effort to cut back on spending, Disney CEO Bob Iger announced 7,000 job cuts across the company. Now an executive let go during the first wave of these cuts says he did not agree with Disney’s stance on the Florida Parental Rights in Education Act.

walt-disney-company-headquarters-burbank

©Disney | Walt Disney Company Headquarters

We reported recently that Marvel Entertainment Chairman Isaac “Ike” Perlmutter was laid off in a round of job cuts. But now, Perlmutter has spoken with The Wall Street Journal, sharing his thoughts on everything that happened.

Perlmutter claims that he wasn’t laid off but was instead fired, saying, “I have no doubt that my termination was based on fundamental differences in business between my thinking and Disney leadership, because I care about return on investment.”

isaac-perlmutter-disney-marvel-entertain

©Susan Walsh/Associated Press via The New York Times

“It was merely a convenient excuse to get rid of a longtime executive who dared to challenge the company’s way of doing business,” he said. Perlmutter has been at odds with executives, namely people like Bob Iger and Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige, in the past because of differences in business strategy. “All they talk about is box office, box office,” Perlmutter shared. “I care about the bottom line. I don’t care how big the box office is. Only people in Hollywood talk about box office.”

marvel-studios-logo.jpg

©Marvel

Perlmutter also told the Journal that he disagreed with Disney getting involved with politics — namely, the feud between the company and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. Perlmutter says he actually called DeSantis during the battle over the Parental Rights in Education bill (which opponents dubbed the “Don’t Say Gay” bill), and that he told the governor, “Ron, you’re right. Disney doesn’t have the right to get involved with politics.”

florida-governor-ron-Desantis.jpeg

©Governor Ron DeSantis Website

Disney CEO Bob Iger, by contrast, has defended Disney’s right to take a political stance on multiple occasions. During a recent shareholder meeting, Iger said, “A company has a right to freedom of speech just like individuals do.”

Iger went on to note, “I don’t think we should or can weigh in on every issue. And I also understand there are gonna be gray areas. There are gonna [be] times when we decide to weigh in on an issue that we believe is worthy of debate because of its relevance and importance to our business or to our employees…and there are times when I actually believe we shouldn’t.”

But, he continued, “I strongly feel that we alone have to determine whether, when, or how to weigh in on an issue, whether it’s private or public. Of course with the standard that when we take a position on those matters, there’s a true reason why we have. And in almost all cases it has to be because it directly affects our business or our people.”

Bob-Iger-700x394.jpg

©Disney

Perlmutter says that he told Disney executives, “Don’t get involved in politics. You’re going to get hurt. It’s a no-win situation.” However, even though Perlmutter opposed Disney’s political stances and has had connections to top Republican politicians, including former President Donald Trump, he has made donations in the past to causes typically more associated with liberals. These causes include projects like overhauling the justice system and providing transgender medical care, according to the Wall Street Journal.

We’ll keep you updated as Disney announces more layoffs in the future and we’ll share any more company news you need to know. Stay tuned to DFB.

Click Here to Learn More About the Job Cuts

Join the DFB Newsletter to get all the breaking news right in your inbox! Click here to Subscribe!

The post "Ron, You're Right" -- Fired Marvel Exec Says He Sided With DeSantis Over Disney first appeared on the disney food blog.

View the full article