“Know Your Worth.” Scarlett Johansson Comments on Disney Lawsuit

Disney4me

Earlier this year, Scarlett Johansson sued Disney over her Black Widow contract following its unconventional joint release in theatres and on Disney+.

Marvel-BlackWidow-1-700x393.jpeg

©Disney/Marvel

Though the back and forth between Johansson and Disney was volatile for a time, the two parties ultimately reached a settlement and Disney opted to change talent contracts going forward. Now, Scarlett Johansson is speaking out about the lawsuit.

The Associated Press spoke with Johansson on the red carpet for the American Cinematheque tribute in her honor. When asked about the lawsuit, Johansson said, “I think it’s important in general to know your own worth and stand up for yourself, and I think, you know, in this industry.” 

walt-disney-studios-black-widow-700x394.

Black Widow ©Marvel

She continued on to mention some worries and hopes about the industry, “I’ve been working for such a long time. It’s been almost 30 years and so I’ve seen … there’s so much that has shifted over those 30 years.” Johansson also expanded to say she used to be worried about getting blacklisted, but “thankfully that’s changing in the zeitgeist.”

sdcc-panel-_-Marvel_July-2019-7-700x489-

Black Widow Film

Johansson also spoke with The Hollywood Reporter about the suit. “It’s an evolving time where there’s this huge sea change happening,” she said, “and as my daughter [Rose] told me the other day, you can’t make an omelet without breaking some eggs. It was a very surreal time because, of course, the film had come out and was hugely successful and that was a big celebration. I had a baby and that was obviously a life-changing, amazing, celebratory thing.”

Disney-Springs-Black-Widow-Photo-Op-700x

Black Widow comes out tomorrow!

She continued to say, “In a way, that sort of buoyed me through the very uncertain, stressful time. I feel mostly very fortunate that nobody will have to go through what I went through and that it’s made, I think, a positive impact in the industry and hopefully for artists and creatives’ lives and livelihood.”

Marvel-BlackWidow-3.jpeg

©Disney/Marvel

Johansson is still set to work with Disney on the upcoming Tower of Terror movie. As always, keep an eye on DFB for the latest Disney news.

Click here to learn more about the Tower of Terror movie!

Join the DFB Newsletter to get all the breaking news right in your inbox! Click here to Subscribe!

Got questions about this situation? Ask them in the comments! 

The post "Know Your Worth." Scarlett Johansson Comments on Disney Lawsuit first appeared on the disney food blog.

View the full article