Disney World performers say they’re out after 32 years

Disney4me

Disney’s Grand Floridian Society Orchestra announced Saturday afternoon that after playing for 32 years at Walt Disney World its last day would be Oct. 3.

“It’s hard to find the words but, sadly, our days at the Grand Floridian are over,” the ensemble posted on its official Facebook page. “In fact, as of Oct 3, 2020, our days at WDW will come to an end as well.”

The Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, where the orchestra generally played, had been closed for months but reopened last week.

In August, after months of furlough, Disney rebranded the group as the Disney Society Orchestra and installed the musicians in the Hollywood Studios theater formerly home to “Beauty and the Beast — Live on Stage.” There, they played multiple short shows of Disney music each day that ended with appearances by “Beauty and the Beast" characters.

The news comes just weeks after Disney World canceled many of its annual Christmas events, including Epcot’s Candlelight Processional concert. The Candlelight Processional also featured an orchestra and employed many local musicians.

The Grand Floridian Society Orchestra message did include a small bit of hope: “As we all know, these are very uncertain times and can’t say what will happen from one day to the next.”

But it concluded with a note of finality, as well as gratitude: “We will miss you! Thank you - thank you - thank you!”

Find me on Twitter @matt_on_arts or email me at mpalm@orlandosentinel.com. Want more news and reviews of theater and other arts? Go to orlandosentinel.com/arts