Review: Happily Ever After Fireworks Dessert Party in Magic Kingdom

Disney4me

Who doesn’t love capping off a night at Disney World with a Fireworks spectacular? I know I do, whether I’m standing shoulder-to-shoulder with literally thousands of other guests in the Hub of Magic Kingdom or taking it all in from the balcony at California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary Resort.

But there is one thing that can make a nighttime show even better…

Desserts at the Happily Ever After fireworks dessert party

Desserts at the Happily Ever After fireworks dessert party

And that’s DESSERT. Better yet, make that plural: DESSERTS.

That’s where Fireworks Viewing Parties come in! At present Disney is offering the Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party at Hollywood Studios, and the Frozen Ever After Dessert Party at Epcot, which pairs desserts and a ride on the Frozen Ever After attraction with a showing of IllumiNations.

But on my last trip, I booked what might be the highest in demand of them all: the Happily Ever After Dessert Party (technically named the Fireworks Dessert Party) at Magic Kingdom.

Happily Ever After

Happily Ever After

Like all dessert parties (and other special events), the Fireworks Dessert Party can be booked at DisneyWorld.com or by calling (407) WDW-DINE. You’ll want to check available times as early as possible as it can be a bit tricky to snag a reservation. While it can be a good idea to start checking within the 180-day out Advance Dining Reservation window, we have seen parties open up only as much as 30-60 days ahead, since there are plenty of instances when showtimes (which directly affect the Party start time) aren’t established much before that timeframe.

sparkling cider and desserts at fireworks dessert party in Magic Kingdom

sparkling cider and desserts at fireworks dessert party in Magic Kingdom

When booking the Fireworks Dessert Party, you’ll actually find TWO different opportunities for viewing: Garden Plaza Viewing takes guests into the Garden Plaza in the Hub in front of the Castle to enjoy the show, and therefore offers no seating during the fireworks. Tomorrowland Terrace Viewing, however, offers seating during the show.

No matter which you choose, you’ll sit at Tomorrowland Terrace while enjoying your desserts, even if you’ve booked the Garden Plaza standing view for the actual show.

Covered Seating

Tomorrowland Terrace Seating

As far as viewing from Tomorrowland Terrace, the views from the seated area do vary a bit. The closer you are to the railing, the better your view, generally speaking.

View from Tomorrowland Terrace

View from Tomorrowland Terrace

Whether you book the Tomorrowland Terrace or Garden Plaza option, the desserts part of the party itself is one in the same and gives you all-you-care-to-enjoy desserts and beverages. The parties begin 60-75 minutes ahead of the start of Happily Ever After, and you’ll check in with some friendly cast members before entering the party area.

Check In Desk

Check In Desk

Of course, once you’re in, you’ll be treated to a full array of desserts and drinks, buffet-style!

Dessert Spread

Dessert Buffet

I imagine you’re curious as to what those are ;) . Let’s go down the line! NOTE: as is the case with  most Disney dessert parties, none of these desserts are life-changing. They’re all pretty mediocre.

The Raspberry Chocolate Cake was moist, and I liked the contrast between the rich chocolate and the tart berry.

Raspberry Chocolate Cake

Raspberry Chocolate Cake

The S’mores Tarts were a fun option, with toasted marshmallow topping, big chunks of dark chocolate, and a graham cracker crust.

S'mores Tarts

S’mores Tarts

Red Velvet Cupcakes feature bright yellow cream cheese frosting and a Happily Ever After shard of printed white chocolate.

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Red Velvet Cupcakes

But why have one cupcake when you can have two? These Dark Chocolate Cupcakes are topped with purple frosting to lend an air of drama appropriate to the colorful show.

Chocolate Cupcakes

Chocolate Cupcakes

Creamy and fruity Strawberry Tarts are finished off with a dollop of whipped cream and a fresh berry.

Strawberry Tarts

Strawberry Tarts

These shiny Macarons were light and crispy on the outside with a soft interior.

Macarons

Macarons

Meanwhile, the Pineapple Delights married pineapple compote, sweet cream, and a fresh sliver of pineapple for a fun alternative to heavier treats.

Pineapple Dessert

Pineapple Delights

Likewise, the Chocolate-Covered Strawberries offered a juicy and refreshing bite, plus they’re a classic go-to even for picky dessert eaters.

Chocolate-Covered Strawberries

Chocolate-Covered Strawberries

For those looking to indulge even further, the Cheesecake Brownie Bites fit the bill. In keeping with most Disney round cheesecakes, the cheesecake was soft rather than dense, but the brownie bite was nice and fudgy.

Cheesecake Brownies

Cheesecake Brownies

Mickey ears make an appearance on these Grey Stuff Oreos! Okay, though the topping is not exactly “The Grey Stuff” a la Be Our Guest Restaurant, the piped cookies-and-cream topping is fun to eat on the crispy Oreos. Though this was the most “phone-in-in” dessert I’ve seen on a Disney dessert buffet.

Grey Stuff and Oreos

Grey Stuff and Oreos

Also available at the party were small Hot Fudge Sundaes, prepared to order by a cast member. (Note: the line gets LONG for these.)

Sundaes

Sundaes

And finally, the sweets finished up with Chocolate Chip and Sugar Cookies and some Frost-Your-Own Cupcakes. (I didn’t ask if the frosting bags counted as all-you-care-to-enjoy, but I was tempted!)

Cookies and Cupcakes

Cookies and Cupcakes

To counteract all that sugar, guests can also enjoy Cheese Cubes and an array of fresh fruit.

Cheese Cubes

Cheese Cubes

In case you’re traveling with younger guests and are worried they won’t find suitable treats, there’s a super fun Kids’ Kabob Plate. Components can be skewered on a souvenir Mickey Straw and dunked in a cup of melted chocolate. Yum!

Kids' Kabob Plate

Kids’ Kabob Plate

Beverages include champagne flutes of Sparkling Apple Juice, in case you’re looking to class it up. ;)

Sparkling Apple Juice

Sparkling Apple Juice

Drinks include hot and cold options, and we’ll start with the cold since the heat of Florida sumer is still very much on as I write this.

Beverage Options

Beverage Options

First from the left in the picture below is POG Juice! This passion fruit, orange, and guava juice combo is a big hit with guests at locations like ‘Ohana.  Other fruity options include Lemonade and Strawberry Lemonade.

Fruity Drink Options

Fruity Drink Options

Water, Milk, and Unsweetened Tea are also available, as is some sugar from the hot beverages area if you need.

Water, Milk, and Unsweetened Tea

Water, Milk, and Unsweetened Tea

Hot beverages include CoffeeDecaf CoffeeHot Water for Twinings Tea, and Hot Cocoa. There are several tea bag options and all the necessary accompaniments.

Hot Beverages

Hot Beverages

And now… for the BIG SHOW!! After all, you’re really booking the party for a terrific view of the Happily Ever After projection and fireworks show, and this truly is a great location for that purpose. And the Garden Plaza option offers a terrific view as well… without waiting in the Hub for an hour prior to showtime and still having a bit of trouble finding a spot!

View from the Seated Area

View from the Seated Area

Nosh or Not?

Now, let’s talk price, because obviously that’s a major factor in deciding if a Magic Kingdom Fireworks Party is a good value for you and your traveling group. The Fireworks Dessert Party at Tomorrowland Terrace (that’s the one that includes seating during the show) is $79 per adult and $47 per child ages 3 to 9. The Fireworks Dessert Party with Garden Plaza Viewing (from the Hub without seating during the show) is $59 per adult and $35 per child ages 3 to 9.

Personally, I think this is actually a good deal (a better deal for plaza garden viewing, but still a decent deal for seated viewing) and it’s something I would do again.

The Fireworks Dessert Party Might Be For You If:

• You’re looking for a failsafe way to see Happily Ever After. Booking the party — either plaza garden viewing or seated viewing — guarantees you a great view of the show. If you believe time is money and you don’t want to waste time looking for a good viewing spot, or holding it down once you do, this is a winner.
  • You have a super sweet tooth. This many desserts might be overkill for some, but if you love sweet stuff and are totally willing to make a meal of it, this is a good option for you.
  • You’re celebrating a special event. This is a lower-cost way to indulge in a Disney “enchanted extra” event.

The Fireworks Dessert Party Might Not Be For You If:

• You don’t care much for desserts or have a specific food allergy or dietary requirement that doesn’t allow you to eat desserts. Just the viewing alone isn’t enough to make the price worth it.
  • You have a huge family. The price adds up FAST here.
  • You’re on a significant budget. The price is worth it in my opinion, but if I was on a super budget trip to Disney World this would definitely get the ax. You can find good spots for Happily, and just grab a mickey bar on your way.

So, yes, it is for sure a splurge, but your group may find that the desserts, convenience, great view, and that bit of VIP feel may be well worth it to celebrate a special occasion or just make a magical memory together!

Have you enjoyed a Fireworks Dessert Party at the Parks? Tell us about your experience in the comments! 

Looking for tips for seeing Happily Ever After in Disney World’s Magic Kingdom? Check out our youTube video with our advice!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com! Also, come on over and:

View the full article