Secret Menu: Disney World Citrus Swirl…JUST THE CITRUS!!!!

Disney4me

I’ve always loved the Citrus Swirl at Magic Kingdom’s Sunshine Tree Terrace. Who doesn’t? If you haven’t had one — it’s basically frozen orange juice swirled with vanilla soft serve. And it’s everything.

And even though there was a time where it was off the menu (we call those the “unmagical” days…and then there were the SUPER “unmagical” days when they SAID they brought it back, but it was just orange soft serve twisted with vanilla. NOT. THE. SAME.), it’s back again and has been for a while, thank goodness.

But today we’re not just talking about your run-of-the-mill Citrus Swirl. No sir. We’ve got a twist (see what I did there? of course you did.) that I think some of you will really like. ;-D Maybe not all of you. Maybe just a few of you. But if you’re as excited about this as I am, we’re clearly best friends and we need to hang out.

Sunshine Tree Terrace

Sunshine Tree Terrace

Standard Citrus Swirl -- frozen orange juice swirled with vanilla soft serve

Standard Citrus Swirl — frozen orange juice swirled with vanilla soft serve

First — you’ve got to make your way to Sunshine Tree Terrace. It sits right at the entrance to Adventureland, so it’s pretty easy to find. OH, and if this looks like Aloha Isle to you, remember that the two traded places a while back. ;-)

Sunshine Tree Terrace

Sunshine Tree Terrace

And then it’s time to order the goodness. But let me give you a little backstory on my weirdo tastebuds to set the stage.

Well, like I said, I’ve always loved Citrus Swirls; but my favorite part of the treat was clearly the frozen orange juice. The super-tartness of that side of the swirl reminded me of frozen, concentrated orange juice. The kind you can buy in a can. I loved that stuff. Like…LOVED it. (And that’s all I’m going to say about that.) So whenever I’d get a standard Citrus Swirl, I’d always try to get a few spoonfuls of just the super-tart citrus half before I got to the vanilla. It was the best part!

Sunshine Tree Terrace Menu

Sunshine Tree Terrace Menu

And I’m seriously kicking myself for not figuring out this secret menu item sooner! Guest what, kids! You CAN get a swirl…that’s ALL citrus! No sappy-sweet vanilla soft serve to sully that crazy-tart frozen orange juice!

I was thrilled to find out you could do this, but I still had the final hurdle to leap: finding a cast member who would do it for me. When I visited, the first Cast Member I approached totally shot me down. She said there was no way they could do it. And I was heartbroken.

But lucky for me, another CM overheard my request and confirmed that THEY CAN! AND THEY DO! This guardian-angel cast member first warned me that if I ordered this, it would be SUPER tart. Upon my confirmation that I still, indeed, wanted it, he simply popped the handle off of the vanilla side of the machine and popped it onto the orange side. Then I was served what I can only think of as orange perfection.

Sunshine Tree Terrace All Citrus Swirl

Friends! Romans! Lovers of that frozen-orange-concentrate sweetness! It’s literally a childhood dream come true!

Frozen, concentrated orange juice in a nice swirly shape? Heaven! And, yes, it is tart….and very flavorful. But for me, it was yet another Disney food desire fulfilled.

So, I know this might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but for my buddies on this side of the crazy, this is for us! At $3.79 or a Disney Dining Plan snack credit, I vote yea!

Is a Citrus Swirl on your Adventureland to-do list? Give us a citrusy shout in the comments!

Source: Huge thanks goes out to Cast Member Tyler Slater, whom I follow on Instagram, for posting about this epic-ness on his feed!!!!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com! Also, come on over and:

View the full article