Review: NEW Mickey Mousse and Snowball Cake Amorette’s Patisserie in Disney Springs

Disney4me

We are stopping into Amorette’s Patisserie today to see what’s new!

The high-end pastry shop has showcased classy pastries from the beginning. Combining classic flavors with new and creating some of the most beautiful sugary confections we’ve ever seen, Amorette’s has been an interesting addition to Disney Springs.

Why “interesting?” Well, the DFB team is split on whether or not we love this place. Some of us think it’s great; others aren’t impressed. While the eats are extraordinarily beautiful, I, personally, am not necessarily sure that they’re worth the extraordinarily high price tag.

But on a recent visit we simply had to try out the brand new — and gorgeous — Mickey mousse, introduced in honor of Mickey Mouse’s birthday, and the holiday Snowball.

Mickey Mousse and a Snowball

When Mickey Mouse celebrated his most recent birthday, some pretty awesome treats debuted in Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

But this Petit Mickey Domed Cake at Amorette’s was a showstopper. Originally the cake was reported to feature Chocolate Chiffon Cake, Milk Chocolate Mousse,  and Orange Blossom Pâte de Fruit.

Mini Mickey Dome Cake ©Disney

Mini Mickey Dome Cake ©Disney

I was a bit afraid that the sweet little treat would disappear soon, since it was a special offering for Mickey’s special day. But the cast members told us that the cake is here to stay!

Oh — and since we first told you about it, the cake has received an updated name, and a slightly simpler ingredient.

Behold: The Mickey Mousse. Pretty much the cutest thing you’ve ever seen, yes?

Mickey Mousse

Mickey Mousse

Inside, we found a slightly different ingredient line up: Chocolate Chiffon Cake, Dark Chocolate Mousse, and White Chocolate Mousse. There was no Pate de Fruit in sight. But since I’m not a huge fan, I’m totally fine with that.

We really enjoyed the two different mousses. The consistency was nice and creamy, and the flavors of the chocolate came through nicely in contrast to one another.

Mickey Mousse -- Cross Section

Mickey Mousse — Cross Section

This one’s a winner, and even I think it’s worth your while (and your wallet).

We also couldn’t pass up the chance to try the Snowball. It’s one of the seasonal offerings you’ll find at Amorette’s right now, in addition to a Christmas Ornament Dome Cake and the seasonal Petit Cake. (We’ll be showing you pics of those selections soon, when Wendy shares her “What’s New” December post.)

This one proved irresistible though, when I found out the filling was Red Velvet Cake and Cream Cheese Mousse!

Snowball

Snowball

And that’s just what we found when we cut into it. While it doesn’t look all that interesting, again, the flavors were lovely and delicate, and we really enjoyed this fun twist on one of my favorite cake combos.

Snowball -- Cross Section

Snowball — Cross Section

I do have to say, however — we had a little trouble distinguishing much of a flavor difference between the White Chocolate Mousse in the Mickey Mousse and the the Cream Cheese Mousse in the Snowball. I’d like to have tasted a little more of that characteristic cream cheese tang. Still, we enjoyed both.

The treats will set you back $8 a piece, the same as Amorette’s other poetically-named specialty desserts, like 49th and Broadway (NY Cheesecake) or Viennese Waltz (a Sacher Torte). And while there are other great dessert options in Disney Springs, if you’re looking for a classy, high-end option, I’d say these are good choices.

Amorette’s Announcements…

Now, for a little housekeeping when it comes to Amorette’s. When we visited last month, we were surprised to see that the spot wasn’t opening until 3:00PM. That may not be the case every day, but we wanted to let you know about it, just as a heads up.

Also, the menu has undergone some changes. Recently, we told you about the move at Amorette’s relatively nearby neighbor, AristoCrepes, to expand their menu in some ways, and contract it in others. Signs point to the possibility of AristoCrepes closing after the holidays, but we’ll just have to wait and see.

What does this have to do with Amorette’s? Well, in addition to the patisserie’s whimsical pastry creations, the kitchen is also cranking out a few crepes now as well.

Crepe Menu

Crepe Menu

Find a couple of hearty savory option here, like the Caprese and Ham & Cheese Crepes. Of course, there’s a sweet version offered as well, and a combo of Banana, Nutella, and Salted Caramel fit the treat bill nicely.

Now, let’s hear from you! Will you be making a stop into Amorette’s this holiday season? Tell us which treat you look forward to trying the most!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com! Also, come on over and:

View the full article