Review: New Menu at Liberty Tree Tavern at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom

Disney4me

Hear Ye, Hear Ye! It’s time to head back to one of our favorite spots — Liberty Tree Tavern!

Ah, how we love thee, Liberty Tree. Located in Magic Kingdom’s Liberty Square, there are plenty of reasons why this park original is still one of our favorites. First of all, although we can embrace and even enjoy change (within moderation ;-) ), Liberty Tree Tavern has literally been around since the beginning. And that makes it a shoe-in for a spot in some of our collective earliest memories. A show of hands out there — how many of you recollect this Colonial-inspired dining room as one of your first Disney meals?

But then, it keeps us coming back as grown-ups for delicious comfort food! The a la carte menu served at lunch features one of DFB’s Favorite Burgers, the Angus Chuck Cheeseburger! And who could possibly resist the Pilgrims Feast at lunch? Because Thanksgiving Dinner served all year ’round is A-OK with me!

Recently, we learned of updates here (what?!?!) to the dinner menu. And while I don’t usually need an excuse to make an advance dining reservation at Liberty Tree, I figured it was the perfect reason to visit.

Join us to see what’s new — and what remains the same — when you dine at Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner!

Liberty Tree Tavern Entrance

Liberty Tree Tavern Entrance

Atmosphere

To step into Liberty Tree Tavern is to step back in time. The restaurant offers seating in six different rooms (none of that modern open floor plan stuff here).

Seating and View

Seating and View

Of course, an argument could be made that the throwback nostalgia here is part Colonial, part 1970s. But you know what? We’re totally fine with it. While some rooms offer paneling a plenty…

Decor

Seating and Wood Paneling Decor

Others are awash in white. Still, ample wood accents and parquet floors lend warmth and a feeling of antiquity.

Seating

Seating

Padded ladderback chairs provide most of the seating throughout, and are fairly comfortable. Some of our favorite tables are those with views to the outside.

Seating

Seating

I personally love the immersive experience here. In so many Disney restaurants, you have the theme inside, but it may not match what you look out on. With views onto Liberty Square, it all works together nicely in this nostalgic corner of the park.

(And don’t forget to look for Ben Franklin’s kite and George Washington’s wooden teeth in their respective rooms.)

Kite in Ben Franklin Room

Kite in Ben Franklin Room and a Lovely View

Each dining room is themed to a notable historical figure. They include Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, John Paul Jones, Paul Revere, Betsy Ross, and George Washington. Wanna know more? Check out this earlier in-depth atmosphere review.

John Paul Jones

John Paul Jones

Decor

Model Ship and John Paul Jones Portrait

Cloaks and hats at the ready! It’s best to be prepared.

Coats and Hat Hanging at the Ready

Coats and Hat Hanging at the Ready

Ah. It’s always fun to have a little look around Liberty Tree. But now, let’s see what’s new with the menu.

Eats

I mentioned some menu changes. Don’t get too up in arms. Honestly, not much is terribly different about the Bill of Fare at Liberty Tree Tavern.

New Dinnerware

Menu — Click to Enlarge

There are two major differences that you can see from the menu: Some of the meats have been changed up; and dessert is a little different as well.

We also noted that the Patriot’s Punch is now a Patriot’s Slush, and that the price of the drink served in a Souvenir Tavern Keeper’s Collector Mug has gone waaaaaaayyyyy up. Like, double-digits-up.

But the menu isn’t the only thing that’s changed. Glassware and tableware have received a refresh as well. This is most welcome; during our last visit, everything was served on and in these weird, modern wavy bowls and plates. It was all wrong.

New Glassware

New Glassware

The plates are a warm stoneware pattern, and I like that the main dinner plates actually resemble three-corner hats.

But the reason for the change here is because the kitchen is now shared by three restaurants — Liberty Tree, Skipper Canteen, and Diamond Horseshoe (when it’s serving). And all three now use the same tableware and flatware. Still, it seems to fit each one.

Liberty Tree Tavern 15_-001 New Plates

New Dinnerware

The first thing to arrive to our table was a plate of Hot Dinner Rolls. They were served on a plate, rather than in a basket as they had been before. I was a little disappointed to see that there was no Cornbread on offer. It’s my favorite, and I’ll always pass plain rolls right by in favor of it.

Rolls and Butter

Rolls and Butter

Incidentally, I thought it was pretty cool that the tableware makeover even extended to ramekins!

Whipped Butter -- Up Close

Whipped Butter — Up Close

Next up was the Declaration Salad, which is still the same fresh mix of crisp Iceberg Lettuce, Shredded Carrots, Red Onion, and Cherry Tomatoes. During our last visit, the House Made Dressing was served on the side. This time, we received the salad already tossed with the dressing.

Declaration Salad

Declaration Salad

Next, the Patriot’s Platter, the centerpiece of the meal, arrived. And here’s where you’ll start to see major differences in the menu.

Previously, the meats were all roasted: Roasted Turkey Breast, Carved Roast Beef, and Sliced Pork Roast. While the Turkey Breast remains unchanged, the Pork Roast has been replaced by Sliced Tavern Ham. You’ll also notice that Carved Roast Beef has been replaced by fan favorite New England Pot Roast, complete with veggies like Carrots mixed right in. The platter also includes Herb Stuffing; you’ll see it peeking out from beneath the Turkey and Ham.

While my husband wasn’t thrilled at the loss of the Roast Beef, I LOVED the addition of the Pot Roast and the Ham. This whole mess right here? Perfect, as far as I’m concerned!!

Patriot's Platter

Patriot’s Platter

Another oblong platter arrived with sides of Macaroni and Cheese, Green Beans, and Mashed PotatoesGravy, and lots of it, arrived in its own boat — the only serving piece that remains unchanged.

The Mac and Cheese here is basically Stouffers, and tends to look gorgeous, but taste bland. Just be prepared to salt it within an inch of its life. The beans were ah-mazing. I pretty much ate them all. And the potatoes are always wonderful here.

Side Dishes -- Macaroni and Cheese, Green Beans, Mashed Potatoes, and Gravy

Side Dishes — Macaroni and Cheese, Green Beans, Mashed Potatoes, and Gravy

With many dishes that are reminiscent of a Thanksgiving feast, you might be asking one question: what about the cranberry sauce? Here’s where we share one of our favorite DFB Tips: it’s available upon request, so be sure to ask if you’d like some!

Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry Sauce

While the servings are ample, it’s important to remember that you can always ask for more of anything, or everything! Your server is always more than happy to bring seconds of all of the dishes.

Soon, it was time for dessert, and we were greeted with another change. Previously, the finale was Johnny Appleseed’s Cake, featuring lots of Craisins (thanks to a corporate sponsorship deal with Ocean Spray). This time, Johnny Appleseed’s Tart was the offering. Full of both sliced Apples and Craisins, this was a little more reminiscent of the Apple Cobbler that used to be on the menu.

I was never a fan of the Johnny Appleseed cake, so this addition is just fine in my opinion. I loved the flavors together, and thought this was delicious.

Johnny Appleseed's Tart

Johnny Appleseed’s Tart

Happily full from a meal of comforting favorites, we concluded dinner and headed out to enjoy evening in Magic Kingdom. Splash Mountain, anyone?

Overall

Liberty Tree Tavern has long been a favorite of mine in Walt Disney World. In fact, it’s one of the few restaurants where I dine nearly every time that I visit. And while I favor the a la carte lunch service, dinner has its charms as well.

Although some guests might not love the changes to the dinner menu, we’re actually okay with them. While the addition of the New England Pot Roast from the lunch menu into the dinner platter might seem like a cost cutting measure, I love the stuff, so I’m psyched. (Can’t make it to Liberty Tree? Here’s the recipe.) And really, you can never go wrong with Turkey, Dressing, and Mashed Potatoes.

All of this means one thing: Liberty Tree Tavern, with all of its charm and nostalgia, will continue to be a place that I recommend that you visit.

Now, I’d love to hear your thoughts about the matter! Is Liberty Tree Tavern a must-do for you? Leave a comment and tell us what you think of this Disney World classic!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com! Also, come on over and:

View the full article