Epcot Food and Wine Festival Review: French Family Meal Traditions Luncheon

Disney4me

This is an exciting time, my friends. The Watch and Wait Season has officially arrived for all things 2016 Epcot Food and Wine Festival!

2016 Epcot Food and Wine Festival Logo Official Disney

What do I mean by that? Well, this is the time of the year when details begin to emerge for all of the events, menus, and more for our Favorite Event of the Year!

If you’re a festival fan, you’re gonna want to pay close attention in the upcoming weeks, as we provide you with all of the updates FIRST. Better yet — subscribe to the DFB Newsletter, and we’ll bring all the news directly to you!

In the meantime, as we await all of the latest as well as the start date — the festival will run from September 14 through November 14 — we love looking through some of the fun that we had last year.

Today, we’ll take a closer look at one of the NEW Special Events we attended in 2015 — French Family Meal Traditions. And I’m gonna get a little ahead of myself: this was so fabulous that we totally expect it to be back again this year.

There’s lots to see, so let’s get started!

Ready to Plan for Your Epcot Food and Wine Festival Trip?

The DFB Guide to the 2016 Epcot Food & Wine Festival e-Book is now available for pre-order! This 250+-page guide to the Festival offers insider tips and advice as well as all of the details you need to know to plan your best Festival visit ever.

2015 DFB F&W Guide Cover

Your purchase includes several bonus items as well — including a full daily schedule of events at the Festival and a printable World Showcase Booth Menu Checklist to carry with you as you Eat around the World!

Order your 2016 edition today and we’ll immediately send you the 2015 edition for FREE to get started on planning right away! Don’t miss a moment of the fun!

Use code Chefs at check-out for a 20% off the cover price!

Atmosphere

One of my favorite things about Special Events that take place in Epcot’s World Showcase Pavilions, versus events in World ShowPlace, is that you often get a chance to see inside a restaurant that you may not have experienced before. Both French Family Meal Traditions and The Parisian Afternoon: Sandwiches, Macarons, and Bubbles! take place at Monsieur Paul.

Monsieur Paul Entrance

Monsieur Paul Entrance

If you haven’t had the chance to dine at Monsieur Paul, you may not be familiar with it. It’s the fine dining option in Epcot’s France Pavilion. You’ll find it by heading back through France as though you’re getting a Macaron Ice Cream Sammie at L’Artisan des Glaces. :-) But hang a left before you get to the boutique ice cream shop. Go through the door with the awning, past the hostess stand, and you’ll spy this beautiful art nouveau staircase leading up to the second floor restaurant.

Stairwell leading up to Monsieur Paul

Stairwell leading up to Monsieur Paul

You’ll walk past the restaurant’s small but well-stocked wine cellar en route to the dining room.

Wine Cellar

Wine Cellar

For this event, the part of the dining room closest to the entrance was emptied of tables. Cast Members greeted us as we entered and took us to our seats. I liked this touch; while seating isn’t assigned, staff helped us to find a place, rather than just turning us loose to find our own seats.

Entrance into the Event

Entrance into the Event

After I was shown to my seat, I had a few minutes before lunch began, so I decided to look around a bit. Monsieur Paul pays homage to Chef Paul Bocuse. Fitting, since he’s one of the original trio of chefs referenced in the France Pavilion. It’s also appropriate because the Bocuse Group runs all of the restaurants in the pavilion.

Decor -- Chef Paul Bocuse and Remy

Decor — Chef Paul Bocuse and Remy

How to Wear Your Apron in Chef Paul Bocuse's Kitchen. :-)

How to Wear Your Apron in Chef Paul Bocuse’s Kitchen. :-)

Monsieur Paul exudes understated elegance. You won’t find any over the top themeing here, and the decor was lightened up a little during a recent refurbishment. (You can see photos of the previous decor here.) But you’ll still find white table cloths and cloth napkins, signaling an experience that’s just a cut or so above Les Chefs de France, the bistro downstairs.

Seating

Seating

Mercury glass pieces echo the general art nouveau feeling of the place.

Decor -- Mercury Glass Pieces

Decor — Mercury Glass Pieces

And extremely fancy Cognac reminds you that you are some place special.

Cognac

Cognac

I love the light fixtures at Monsieur Paul as well. The bubble motif makes them feel elegant without seeming the least bit stuffy.

Chandelier

Chandelier

I’m always charmed by this small alcove outside of the restrooms. I can’t imagine ever needing to sit down here. But somehow, it’s comforting to know it’s there in case I have need of it. And look — more cool lights!

Seating Alcove Near the Restrooms

Seating Alcove Near the Restrooms

Seriously. If I could figure out how to lift this and stick it in my purse, I’d probably be pretty tempted to do it.

Beautiful Sconce

Beautiful Sconce

Another great thing about going to an event like this — you get to see Monsieur Paul in a whole new light — literally. Many folks haven’t had lunch here, so it’s fun to see it all lit up with bright daylight.

Seating

Seating

Windows that allow for partial views of Illuminations at night let in plenty of light during the day.

Table with a View

Table with a View

For the luncheon, place settings were simple and looked a lot like what you find when you’re dining at Monsieur Paul. While our water was already poured, our wine glasses were still empty as we chatted with our table mates.

Place Setting

My Place Setting

I’m anxious to share this experience with you. So let’s get to the food.

Eats

General Manager Eric Weistroffer was on hand to kick off the festivities. As he explained, we were there to experience family favorites — home cooked foods, and flavors that Monsieur Paul’s chefs learned in the most important kitchen of all — their homes.

Eric Weistroffer, Manager

Eric Weistroffer, Manager

The menu changed each week for the event. We were excited to see what we’d have the chance to sample.

Menu -- Click to Enlarge

Menu — Click to Enlarge

Five courses, with wines paired to each course, certainly seemed promising.

Menu -- Click to Enlarge

Menu — Click to Enlarge

As soon as we were seated, staff began to pass out the Welcoming Cocktail — a Cocktail La Presse. The drink was a take on a classic Citron Presse, which is similar to lemonade, but way less sweet. The cocktail was plenty sweet enough, though, with Grand Marnier Titanium added to the Lemon Juice, Simple Syrup, Raspberries, and Sparking Wine.

Beginning Cocktail

Beginning Cocktail

Our table also received a plate of Cheese Straws to begin with. While they were delicious, I probably wouldn’t have forsaken any stomach space for them, had I known the portions of the courses that would be coming.

Cheese Straws

Cheese Straws

We also received fresh Demi Baguettes, baked right in the ovens of Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie. These are terribly hard to resist.

Demi Baguette and Butter

Demi Baguette and Butter

Before our first course arrived, the servers began pouring wines. The first was Marquis de Coulaine Vouvray. I know that French wines typically are meant to be consumed with food, but this light, crisp white was a table favorite even before the food arrived.

First Wine -- Vouvray

First Wine — Vouvray

First Wine -- Vouvray

First Wine — Vouvray

The first course was a Quiche Lorraine with a perfectly dressed Salad of Greens served alongside.

Quiche Lorraine

Quiche Lorraine

The Quiche itself was incredible — pillowy and rich, full of Cheese and bits of Ham. It was also enormous. I seriously could have called it a day right there, so reluctantly, I did not clean my plate.

Epcot Food and Wine 15_-020 Monsieur Paul French Family Traditions Quiche Lorraine

Quiche Lorraine — Inside

Soon, we were ready for our next course, and that meant another glass of wine. For the main dish, the pairing was Le Haut Presle Chinon.

As much as the table loved the first wine, this one met initially with some resistance, probably due to the minerality. It may have benefitted from breathing a bit before it was served; I’m not really sure. But I was confident that it would improve greatly when paired with food.

Second Wine -- Chinon

Second Wine — Chinon

Second Wine -- Chinon

Second Wine — Chinon

My Kinda Hidden Mickey

My Kinda Hidden Mickey

And it wasn’t long before we had the chance to put our theory to the test, as this little beauty arrived at my place setting. The petite Le Creuset put the “cocotte” in our dish’s name.

Le Creuset Individual Server

Le Creuset Individual Server

When the lid was removed, I was treated to a creamy Blanquette de Veau en Cocotte.

Blanquette de Veau en Cocotte

Blanquette de Veau en Cocotte

Our server also provided a little dish of Rice on the side, and we were instructed to dump it into the stew.

Blanquette de Veau en Cocotte, With Rice Added

Blanquette de Veau en Cocotte, With Rice Added

This was truly one of the best dishes I have ever tasted. The decadent sauce was perfectly seasoned. The Veal was tender, and the vegetables complemented the dish in terms of texture and flavor. Even the rice enhanced the dish. I can’t think of a starch that would have been better served here.

Veal -- Up Close

Veal — Up Close

I think at this point, everyone at my table was so impressed with the food and wine, both in terms of portions and quality.

But there was another course to be savored! And that meant more wine. Our second red was the Chateau de Ricaud Bordeaux Superieur. The fruit forward, medium-bodied wine met with universal approval from wine-loving table.

Third Wine -- Bordeaux

Third Wine — Bordeaux

The Bordeaux was a lovely match for the Brie served with Fruit and Nut Bread, Grapes, and Walnuts.

Cheese Course

Cheese Course

At this point, I took the opportunity to stretch! Seriously. In my opinion, the slow pace of the meal is one of the most wonderful aspects of eating at Monsieur Paul anytime, and the French Family Meal Traditions event is no exception. You’re expected to relax.

Speaking of relaxing, we had one more wine to consume. For our dessert course, we enjoyed a lovely Jean-Charles Boisset No. 21 Cremant. Fans of sparkling wine will know that a Cremant is a sparkling wine made in a hand full of winemaking regions outside of the Champagne region. This particular wine came from Burgundy.

I’m a big fan of Cremants because they tend to offer great value when compared with Champagne, so I was excited to try this. The hints of vanilla were the perfect match for our next course.

Fourth Wine -- Brut

Fourth Wine — Brut

Fourth Wine -- Brut

Fourth Wine — Cremant de Bourgogne

Dessert was a Black and White Macaron, served in a pool of Creme Anglaise with a Quenelle of House made Ice Cream on the side.

Macaron

Macaron

The plate was stunning, and the macaron, with its chewy consistency and fudgy filling, was as delicious as any of the macarons I’ve enjoyed in the France Pavilion. (And believe me. There have been many.)

Macaron -- Inside

Macaron — Inside

As our meal wound down, Eric took the opportunity to festively honor the men and women who prepared and served the meal.

Celebrating the Staff

Celebrating the Staff

After we applauded them, they paraded through the dining room, so we had the chance to say a quick thank you for a fantastic experience.

Overall

There are no two ways about it: French Family Traditions is one of the best events that we’ve had the pleasure of attending during the Epcot Food and Wine Festival.

There are a few reasons for this. First, while the price tag is steep (it was $95 per person last year), it was well worth it, in my opinion. Each course was exquisite, with dishes that were impeccably prepared and plated. Servings were more than generous; I’m not exaggerating when I say that I was full after the first course. Finally, the wines served were full glasses. And I should probably add…we received refills as well.

If you’re on the fence about whether or not to splurge on an event like this, I say go for it. Because if you can find a better way to spend the afternoon than drinking wine and eating French food in a beautiful setting, then I really need you to tell me about it.

2016 Epcot Food and Wine Festival Index

2016 Epcot Food and Wine Festival Booth and Menu Index
2016 Epcot Food and Wine Festival Special Events
2016 Epcot Food and Wine Festival Low-Cost Seminars and Demonstrations
2016 Eat to the Beat Concert Schedule
Epcot Food and Wine Festival Fans Facebook Page
2016 Epcot Food and Wine Festival Wine and Dine Half Marathon
2016 Swan and Dolphin Food and Wine Classic
Food and Wine Festival 101
2015 Epcot Food and Wine Festival Menus and FOOD PHOTOS
2015 Epcot Food and Wine Festival Gluten Free Items

How to Book Epcot Food & Wine Festival Events

To book all special events and demonstrations, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378). Join the Disney Food Blog Newsletter to find out as soon as we do about details and booking dates! Culinary Demonstrations, Beverage Seminars, Mixology Seminars, and general admission for some special events may be bookable online at www.epcotfoodfestival.com as well as by phone.

Tables in Wonderland members, Annual Passholders, Disney Vacation Club Members, and Golden Oak Residents may be eligible for a discount (per person, per event) for beverage and mixology seminars and culinary demos taking place Mon-Thurs during the festival. Discounts are by phone only at 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378). Stay tuned to DisneyFoodBlog.com and the Disney Food Blog Newsletter for details.

Chase Disney Visa Cardholders may be able to book select special events, demos, and seminars early. A limited number of seats would be available for the TBD booking date.

Will you be booking your French Family Meal Traditions at the 2016 Epcot Food and Wine Festival? Leave a comment and tell us what you think!

We were guests of Monsieur Paul for this event, but our opinions are entirely our own. Read more about our Disclosure Policy here.

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com! Also, come on over and:

View the full article