Guest Review: Star Wars Symphony in the Stars Dessert Party at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Disney4me

The Force is strong at Symphony in the Stars, a Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party! Beth Wesesky, guest author, takes us to this hard ticket event at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. No faster-than-light travel necessary. ;)

A short time ago…in a state far, far away…
Nerd, geek, dweeb, scruffy-looking Nerfherder… any way you describe it, my family and I are proud Star Wars fanatics! So, on our most recent trip to Walt Disney World, we just KNEW that we had to get our “fix”! That “fix” included booking reservations for the “Symphony in the Stars, A Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party” held in Disney’s Hollywood Studios on select nights through April 30th, 2016.

Symphony in the Stars

Symphony in the Stars

The day the reservation window opened, I made the jump to hyperspace and booked our party! Admission price is $69.00 for adults and $39.00 for children ages 3-9 and Hollywood Studios admission is required. Disney Dining Plan entitlements may not be used and prepayment with a credit card is required.

The party is described on the Walt Disney World website as: The Dessert Party You’re Looking For! Enjoy an out-of-this-world selection of desserts and specialty drinks—including alcoholic beverage options. Nibble on Darth Vader cupcakes as you take in an up-close view of the enthralling Symphony in the Stars: A Galactic Spectacular Fireworks Show.

A Galactic Evening

A Galactic Evening

Atmosphere

We arrived in Disney’s Hollywood Studios around 6PM on January 24th, and headed for the Dessert Party check-in, which is located beside Min and Bill’s Dockside Diner. We were checked in by a lovely Cast Member who instructed us to return closer to 7PM. We were given a wrist band to present at the entrance when we returned.

Around 6:45PM, we headed back to an already very long line of party-goers waiting to be admitted to the viewing area. The viewing area was set up on the left side of Center Stage, in the hub of the park. The tables were standing tables, draped with black and red (nice Dark Side touch) tablecloths that just touched the ground. Keep in mind, there is no seating available, but the area is spacious and comfortable. Besides, once the fireworks begin, you’ll be on your feet in awe! The evening of our party, the temperature was about 38 degrees (brrrrr…), so Disney had several heat sources set up in the area to keep guests from shivering through the show!

Standing Tables

Standing Tables

Dessert Party Tables

Dessert Party Tables

Before the event got started, park-goers were entertained by an awesome light show and DJ who was playing modern dance tune mixes, which everyone enjoyed! As soon as we got into the viewing area, we headed for a table near the front to get a clear view of the fireworks. There were some trees blocking a bit of the view for other tables, but I’m sure this wasn’t a deal breaker.

Eats

We made the table our own, and went off to scope out the offerings! WOW…I’ve got to say, we were very impressed with not only the taste of the desserts and savory bites, but also with the presentation and layout as well! There were two food buffet stations, one on either side of the viewing area. Each station had the same selections, and it made navigating the area very stress-free. No bumping into other people reaching over you for food!

The sweet dessert options that were beautifully displayed on the stations included: Blue Milk Panna Cotta with Crispy Pearls (our 15-year old son’s favorite), “Darth Maul” The Pastry Menace Eclairs, mini Droid Cupcakes (BB-8 Lemon cake with Vanilla Buttercream), Rice Crispy Bon Bons, “Yoda” Pistachio Morella Cherry Bites, “Death Star” Chocolate Cake, “Sun” Citrus Financier, mini Darth Vader Cupcakes (Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting), Green Grape Sabers, and fresh Raspberry and Blueberry Sabers.

Blue Milk Panna Cotta with Crispy Pearls

Blue Milk Panna Cotta with Crispy Pearls

“Darth Maul” The Pastry Menace Eclairs

“Darth Maul” The Pastry Menace Eclairs

BB-8 Lemon cake with Vanilla Buttercream

BB-8 Lemon cake with Vanilla Buttercream and candy rocks

Rice Crispy Bon Bons

Rice Crispy Bon Bons

“Yoda” Pistachio Morella Cherry Bites,

“Yoda” Pistachio Morella Cherry Bites, “Sun” Citrus Financier, and “Death Star” Chocolate Cake

mini Darth Vader Cupcakes

mini Darth Vader Cupcakes

Darth Vader Mini Cupcakes

Darth Vader Mini Cupcakes

Green Grape Sabers

Green Grape Sabers

Fresh Raspberry and Blueberry Sabers

Fresh Raspberry and Blueberry Sabers

There was also a Freeze-Fried Nutella Truffle dessert option that was so amazing that it had its OWN station set up near the entrance to the viewing area!

The Cast Member scooped a small scoop of rich, delicious Nutella mousse into a pool of liquid nitrogen. She swirled it around a few times, then fished it out into a bowl. POOF, it had turned into a frozen ball of chocolatey, hazel-nutty goodness! How’s that for Disney Magic!? There were even toppings…yes…toppings, to slather all over your frozen Truffle! The choices were Raspberry Sauce and Dark Chocolate Sauce. Both were fantastic!

Freeze-Fried Nutella Truffle Dessert

Freeze-Fried Nutella Truffle Dessert

We enjoyed the Galactic Warm Space Debris Bread Pudding as well, which was absolutely divine! It was chock-full of candy pieces, pretzel pieces, chocolate chunks, and marshmallows! You could choose between Vanilla Bean Sauce, Fresh Berries, Whipped Cream, or Mickey Galactic Dust (or all four, not judging!) to top off your Space Debris Pudding as well.

Galactic Warm Space Debris Bread Pudding

Galactic Warm Space Debris Bread Pudding

Galactic Warm Space Debris Bread Pudding Close-Up

Galactic Warm Space Debris Bread Pudding Close-Up

Vanilla Bean Sauce, Fresh Berries, Whipped Cream, or Mickey Galactic Dust

Vanilla Bean Sauce, Fresh Berries, Whipped Cream, or Mickey Galactic Dust

There was a dedicated Ice Cream cart with a chilly, but smiling Cast Member handing out Mickey Bars and other frozen treats. Poor guy, he didn’t have too many customers on that frosty evening! There was another ice cream station as well, with hand-scooped vanilla ice cream and all the sundae toppings one can imagine!

Ice Cream Station

Ice Cream Station

To our delight, the night’s treats also included several savory items as well! After all of those rich, sweet treats, having some salty and savory bites really helped keep the sugar comas in check!

The savory items included: “C3-PO” Crackers, Cheddar and Green Olive Sabers, Smoked Sea-Salted “Quarter Ration” Biscuits with a delicious smoky dipping sauce, and “Scorched” Pesto Crisps. I am a HUGE olive junkie, so I was in heaven! I think I must have eaten 10 “sabers”!

“C3-PO” Crackers

“C3-PO” Crackers

Cheddar and Green Olive Sabers

Savory Items

Savory Items

Smoked Sea-Salted “Quarter Ration” Biscuits with a delicious smoky dipping sauce

Smoked Sea-Salted “Quarter Ration” Biscuits with a delicious smoky dipping sauce

Biscuits

Biscuits

Smoky Dipping Sauce

Smoky Dipping Sauce

“Scorched” Pesto Crisps

“Scorched” Pesto Crisps

Now for the piece-de-resistance… the DRINKS. Disney bartenders know how to pour a great cocktail, let me tell ya! Joey, our bartender that evening, was an absolute hoot! He spoke with each guest personally and asked if we would like our drinks, “Youngling strength or Jedi Strength”!

The specialty cocktails included: “The Force” (Pomegranate Lemonade with Jim Beam Bourbon), “First Order Finale” (Blood Orange Lemonade with Coruba Coconut Rum), “Jakku Juicy Cocktail” (Green Apple Lemonade with Citrus Vodka) or the warm “Corellian Smuggler’s Coffee” with Bailey’s Irish Crème.

Between the two of us, my husband and I sampled each cocktail and found them strong, but not so strong as to mask the delicious flavors. My personal favorite was the Corellian Smuggler’s Coffee, just because it was warming me up on such a chilly night!

Bartender

Bartender

Specialty Alcoholic Beverages

Specialty Alcoholic Beverages

Specialty Beverages

Specialty Beverages

Cheers!

Cheers!

Non-alcoholic drinks included: coffee with a selection of syrups, hot tea, hot chocolate, soft drinks, bottled water, and specialty drinks, the “Padawan Punch” and “Ewok Juice”.

Coffee, Tea, and Hot Cocoa

Coffee, Tea, and Hot Cocoa

Hot Beverage Station

Hot Beverage Station

Specialty Drinks, the “Padawan Punch” and “Ewok Juice”

Specialty Drinks, the “Padawan Punch” and “Ewok Juice”

After noshing for about 45 minutes, Cast Members announced that we should find our spots to view the show! The Symphony in the Stars Galactic Fireworks began, and we were absolutely amazed!

In my opinion, this display of fireworks, soundtrack, and experience tops even Wishes! OK, it may be the fact that I am a HUGE Star Wars nut, but still… this show was utterly outstanding. The view was spectacular, the music selections and integrated voice-overs were perfectly meshed with the exploding bursts of color — I had tears in my eyes the entire time! Phenomenal!!

Fireworks for Star Wars Fans

Fireworks for Star Wars Fans

Star Wars Fireworks

Star Wars Fireworks

Fireworks

Fireworks

After the fireworks, we were encouraged to stay and eat more (as if!) and even take “Chewie Bags” with us! Speaking of Chewie, on the way out of the event, we were each presented with the souvenir Chewbacca drink stein. How cool is that?

Chewbacca Souvenir

Chewbacca Souvenir

Overall

Overall, the Symphony in the Stars Galactic Fireworks Dessert Party is an event that any Star Wars fan should do, at least once, if not three or four times! If you love desserts, Star Wars, and fireworks, this is the party for you! Right now, the party is set to continue through April 30th, but hopefully Disney will hear the Krayt Dragon Calls of its Star Wars fans and continue the party for the foreseeable future!

Let us know if you think this Star Wars party should be extended. What is your favorite dessert party at Walt Disney World?

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com! Also, come on over and:

View the full article