Review: New Menu at Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe in Disney World’s Magic Kingdom!

Disney4me

Howdy hey there! After being closed for a few days, Pecos Bill Tale Tall Inn and Cafe is back up and running with a completely new menu!

Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe Sign

Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe Sign

I know this may be not-to0-happy news for those old school Pecos Bill fans, but the new menu isn’t so bad. Let’s take a look at the changes!

Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe Outside Menu

Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe Outside Menu

Atmosphere

So there was some speculation that since the restaurant was closed for a few days that they might have done some redecorating, but the atmosphere looks exactly the same!

Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe Registers

Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe Registers

Multiple dining rooms with rustic, Old West elements remain your air conditioned dining options.

Pecos Bill Tale Tale Inn and Cafe Seating Area

Go a little further down the hallway to check out a dining room that fits a bit more into the Adventureland side of the restaurant (it straddles Frontierland and Adventureland after all).

Pecos Bill still watches over the ordering area.

Pecos Bill Portrait

Pecos Bill Portrait

The biggest change I could find inside was some of the cast members having fun with the new theme — sombreros!

Cast Members Welcoming Guest at Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe

Cast Members Welcoming Guest at Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe

But the Code of the West still stands.

Code of the West

Code of the West

Eats

Now one of the best parts of Pecos Bill’s is the fixins’ bar, and I am happy to report that it is still here — updated of course to better coordinate with the food choices. A full list of the toppings with pictures is coming up later in the post. (Sadly, Plastic Cheese is of course still missing, but just wait…we may have a good replacement.)

Fixins' Bar

Fixins’ Bar

Fixins' Bar

Fixins’ Bar

So here’s what’s no longer on the menu: the Barbecue Pork Sandwich, Deluxe Chicken Sandwich, Angus Bacon Cheeseburger, Chili, Fries, and Corn on the Cob are all gone. But there are plenty of new items to choose from!

Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe Menu

New entree items are a Fajita Platter with either beef or chicken, Burrito with beef or chicken, Rice Bowl with beef, chicken or roasted vegetables, and the Southwest Salad with Beef or Chicken. The Southwest Salad is the same as it was on the previous menu, but now you have a choice of beef or chicken.

Side options now are either a Chicken Enchilada Soup (which I’m looking forward to trying once the weather cools down a bit!) or chips. They also have some new dessert options: Churros and Sopaipillas.

So first thing I wanted to try: The Fajita Platter with chicken.

Fajita Platter

Fajita Platter

I heard chatter about the price of the new menu items being high, but I must say the proportions are really large! To me it seemed the portion sizes are larger than at other quick-service spots.

Fajita Platter

Fajita Platter

The chicken is served mixed with sautéed green peppers and onions and is marinated and well seasoned.

Fajita Platter

Fajita Platter – Beans

You also get a great helping of black beans and a large roasted green chile pepper.

Fajita Platter

Fajita Platter – Rice

What could’ve been my favorite part of the dish was the Cilantro Rice! It was really yummy and seasoned very well. I was definitely picking up a lime flavor as well! (But if you hate cilantro like AJ does, you’re in for disappointment.)

Also served with the Fajita Platter was a side of 4 flour tortillas.

Fajita Platter - Tortillas

Fajita Platter – Tortillas

And you can make your own.

Burrito

Burrito

The other item I wanted to try was the Burrito! For this one I decided to go with beef.

Burrito Open

Burrito Open

This one is also served with the Cilantro Rice and Black Beans, but they are layered inside the burrito. The burrito isn’t rolled, so you can add as many toppings from the Fixin’s Bar as you want!

You get a lot of beef, which was finely shredded and tender and also had some great flavor. The main negative to this one was the set-up. The ingredients are placed next to each other so one side is all meat and the other is all rice and beans. I imagine cast members will soon learn to layer the ingredients so guests get a bit of each in every bite.

Burrito - Beef

Burrito – Beef

Now let’s take a peek at those new toppings from the Fixin’s bar!

All Of The Toppings From The Toppings Bar

All Of The Toppings From The Toppings Bar

For those of you who like to customize your meal, the burrito is going to be the perfect choice.

Sour Cream

Sour Cream

Individual packets of sour cream.

Diced Onions

Diced Onions

Diced raw onions.

Queso

Queso

A delicious queso (what WHAT?!).

Banana Peppers

Banana Peppers

Banana peppers, if you’re looking to kick up the heat.

Shredded Cheese

Shredded Cheese

Shredded cheese.

Verde Sauce

Verde Sauce

What might be my favorite new topping: a verde salsa that added great flavor without adding any spice.

Guacamole

Guacamole

Some yummy guacamole!

Salsa

Salsa

A delicious dark salsa that added a slight spice, but not too much!

Pico de Gallo

Pico de Gallo

A fresh-tasting Pico de Gallo.

Limes

Limes

Some lime wedges to add some extra lime flavoring to the rice if you’d like.

Roasted Corn

Roasted Corn

And finally, some roasted corn mixed with onions and tomatoes, which I used to mix with my black beans! So there are plenty of ways to customize your meal here! I can’t wait to see how some of the DFB readers get creative here.

Also new to the menu are Mexican influenced desserts, and since I can get Churros right outside at the Frontierland Churro cart, I decided to venture out and try the Sopaipillas.

Sopapillas

Sopaipillas

Sopaipillas are a fried pastry with a nice crispy outside and flakey, layered inside — doused with powdered sugar.

Sopapilla Cut In Half

Sopaipilla Cut In Half

The texture of these was great and they had a nice, moderate amount of sweetness. For those of you who want to add some extra sweetness, just ask a Cast Member for a side of chocolate dipping sauce, which usually comes with the Churros.

Overall

For those of you die-hard Pecos Bill fans who loved the old menu, I am strongly suggesting for you to give this new menu a try. Tortuga Tavern fans, you will find this menu very similar to their Mexican influenced items — and at least Pecos Bill doesn’t close seasonally!

You can always get Barbecued Pork Sandwiches, Chicken Sandwiches, and Burgers over at Cosmic Rays if Mexican fare isn’t your thing. But I must say that I throughly enjoyed everything!

Will you be trying to new menu items at Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe? What menu item will you miss the most?

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

View the full article