Review: Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port in Disneyland’s Tomorrowland

Disney4me

So, you’re up in space (I know — “What else is new,” right?) and suddenly you have a hankerin’ for a slice of pizza. Before space pilot Redd Rockett came along, your mission would have been… well, impossible.

But not anymore, thanks to Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port in Disneyland’s Tomorrowland!

Redd Rocket's Pizza Port sign

Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port sign

You see, the backstory for Pizza Port revolves around the difficulty experienced by astronauts of finding a “decent pizza” in space (#SpaceProblems — you know how it goes). That is, until Redd Rockett decided to solve that problem once and for all by setting up a pizza port in the sector. Its success was so great that Redd opened up a second location right here on Earth, in Tomorrowland, located near Space Mountain.

Get ready to blast off with us on another visit to Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port!

Atmosphere

As you’ve likely surmised from the backstory (and just the fact that it’s located in Tomorrowland), Pizza Port offers a whimsical take on space travel in the decor.

Pizza Port

Pizza Port

Fun props display methods of preparation so astronauts can enjoy their favorite earth foods!

Pizza Port props

Pizza Port props

The bright, vivid colors give it a fun feel, while remaining a bit of a tribute to the late 90s when Pizza Port opened in the spot that was formerly home to the Mission to Mars attraction.

Pizza Port color and decor

Pizza Port color and decor

Nods to the more vintage feel of Tomorrowland’s classic retro-future vibe can be spotted in attraction posters lining the walls.

Tomorrowland Attraction Posters

There is seating aplenty both indoors and out, for groups large and small.

Indoor Seating

Indoor Seating

Outdoor seating

Outdoor seating

So let’s see what’s up for grabs at the Pizza Port.

Eats

Well, obviously it’s called “Pizza Port” for a reason. But while the emphasis is on slices, there are actually three different stations serving up pizza, pasta, and salads.

Pizza Port Station listings

Pizza Port station and entree listings

It’s just a matter of approaching the stations to check out the offerings, and the nice thing is this allows you to have a glimpse at pretty much everything before you make your choice. So let’s take it station by station.

Pizza Station

Beginning with the headliner dish, the Pizza Station serves up fairly standard slices alongside a couple less traditional styles. And as with the other stations, you’ll gather quickly that checking out the names of the items is part of the interplanetary fun, like the Lunar Cheese and Mega Pepperoni Pizza. The Venus Vegetarian is fairly self-explanatory (and we’ll be diving into a slice soon), but the Supernova Pizza Special is rather unique.

Supernova Pizza

Supernova Pizza

It’s shawarma chicken topping mozzarella cheese while a curry-oiled crust is further garnished with a lemon-enhanced relish of tomato, cilantro, onion and cucumber, all drizzled with garlic yogurt. These specialty slices will likely switch out regularly.

Next up? Pasta!

Pasta Station

You’ll see later that we selected the Mars-inara with meatballs, but other choices include the Terra Nova Tomato Basil Pasta.

Terra Nova Tomato Basil Pasta

Terra Nova Tomato Basil Pasta

I resisted the Count Down Chicken Fusili this time, but it wasn’t easy.

Count Down Chicken Fusili

Count Down Chicken Fusili

I’d enjoyed it before and I gotta say… it’s outta this world (Yep. Had to. ;) )!

Salad Station

Offerings at the Salad Station feature a standard Celestial Caesar Chicken Salad and Asian Chicken Salad tossed in a hoisin-soy vinaigrette.

Celestial Chicken Caesar Salad

Celestial Chicken Caesar Salad

Asian Chicken Salad

Asian Chicken Salad

Pepperoni spices up the Planetary Pizza Salad, topped with a parmesan-mozzerella cheese blend.

Planetary Pizza Salad

Planetary Pizza Salad

Starfield of Greens is available in an entree size or scaled down side version.

Starfield of Greens entree

Starfield of Greens entree

Starfield of Greens Side Salad

Starfield of Greens Side Salad

Speaking of sides, the Breadsticks (served with dipping sauce) are currently served up in festive Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration packaging.

Breadsticks and Dipping Sauce

Breadsticks and Dipping Sauce

Diamond Celebration Packaging

Diamond Celebration Packaging

Kids Meals include a Kid-size Pizza and Space-getti with Meatballs, and Yummy Cheesy Macaroni is the Toddler Meal option.

Kids and Toddler Meals

Kids and Toddler Meals

Before heading over to purchase your meal, be sure to check out the refrigerated cases of grab-and-go drinks and desserts.

Grab and Go

Grab and Go

You’ll spot things like condiments and whole fruit to complete your meal as well.

Condiments

Condiments

Whole Fruit

Whole Fruit

And, of course, there are a few further temptations you’ll find at the cash registers before making your purchase.

More treats at the cash registers

More treats at the cash registers

Got everything? Good! It’s time to make your purchase.

Pizza Port Cash Register

Pizza Port Cash Register

Armed with a couple slices, pasta, and dessert (but of course!), we grabbed our table. First things first: if you’re gonna review a pizza spot, you gotta grab at least one slice of the standard. In this case, that’s the Mega Pepperoni.

Mega Pepperoni Pizza

Mega Pepperoni Pizza

Sooo… how “mega” is it? Not remarkably so. I mean, the pepperoni slices are fairly large, but even they’re not especially noteworthy. The flavor is good here, but the crust is pretty doughy — so be prepared.

I do need to give at least some props, though, to the Venus Vegetarian Pizza: it was fairly well stacked with the seasonal vegetable toppings, which included some rather unique choices like artichoke and zucchini among the more typical mushrooms and Hidden Mickeys made of black olives.

Venus Vegetarian Pizza

Venus Vegetarian Pizza

No, seriously — check out the lower left corner of the photo below and just try to tell me those three olive pieces do not form a perfect Mickey shape. While I’m 99.9% sure that was unintentional, it’s still kinda rad.

My recommendation is to stick with the pastas over the pizza here. This time I went with the Mars-inara Pasta with meatballs which, granted, is pretty standard. Just your basic spaghetti and meatballs, but the decent amount of fresh-grated Parmesan is a nice touch, and the sheer portion size makes this a better buy than the pizza slices. I also enjoy the super-thin, angel-hair type pasta used in this dish. (Still the Countdown Fusili will always be my pasta preference here at the Port.)

Mars-inara with Meatballs

Mars-inara with Meatballs

It occurred to me during my last visit to Tomorrowland Terrace when I enjoyed the Carrot Cake and Chocolate Parfait that the basic in-a-cup variety desserts at Disneyland Counter Service spots have been bumped up a notch.

I found the same thing to be true at the Pizza Port, where I went with the Tiramisu — a fitting dessert choice for the Italian options here. The plentiful, creamy mascarpone base was nicely dusted with spice, and topped with a spot of whipped cream and piece of dark chocolate for garnish.

Tiramisu

Tiramisu

Now, the custard base did very much overwhelm the ladyfingers — which was honestly fine by me, since I think the custard is the best part of Tiramisu. But if you’re a bigger fan than I am of the soaked spongecake, that’s something to keep in mind.

Inside the Tiramisu

Inside the Tiramisu

Once we wrapped up dessert, it was time to hightail it to Space Mountain… with thanks to Redd Rockett for the provisions, of course ;).

Overall

Well, I hate to say it, but it’s pretty much “meh” at the Pizza Port for me. The backstory is cute, but there is nothing so remarkable about it that makes it a must-visit, especially given that the food doesn’t particularly stand out, either.

True, your basic Disney pizza joint is never going to get a rave review from me. But I get where it fills a need: it’s difficult to think of a more universally appealing dish than pizza, so families trying to make their way around the park while also feeding the kiddos may find this to be an agreeable stop where everyone can find something. My recommendation, in that case, is to stick with one of the more memorable pasta dishes while the little ones fill up on pizza.

Have you grabbed a slice at Redd Rockett’s? Let us know in the comments below!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

View the full article