Review: Mocha Brownie Cupcake at Erin McKenna’s Bakery NYC in Downtown Disney

Disney4me

It was just this past February when many Disney World guests celebrated the opening of Erin McKenna’s Bakery NYC  in The Landing of Disney World’s Disney Springs area.

For those who had missed the presence of BabyCakes in Downtown Disney’s Marketplace since its previous location  closed to accommodate construction in March 2014, the new storefront was a welcome re-addition.

While the name has changed, the focus on vegan (dairy-free, egg-free), soy-free, and gluten-free baked goods remains the same, making it a great destination for many Disney World guests on special diets.

Though I’m not on a special diet myself, I sometimes find myself stopping by Erin McKenna’s when I’m at Downtown Disney, anyway. I’ve found that I’ve come to enjoy several of the treats (I can’t walk by without at least entertaining the notion of picking up a slice of Lemon Teacake), and I can never resist any bakery case full o’ cupcakes.

Erin McKenna's Bakery NYC indoor sign

Erin McKenna’s Bakery NYC indoor sign

Cupcakes!

Cupcakes!

Just a reminder, though, that the updated location has been able to expand its selection, and offers

items such as scones, cinnamon rolls, cookies, donuts (have you seen the gorgeous Samoa Donut?!), and even a few savory breads.

Our selection on this trip was the Mocha Brownie Cupcake (while flavor choices may vary per visit for these fresh-baked treats, the other Brownie Cupcake option on this trip was Mint).

Brownie Cupcakes selections in case

Brownie Cupcakes selections in case

As the name suggests, the Mocha Brownie Cupcake is a brownie in the form of a cupcake with a chocolate mocha frosting and mini chocolate chips throughout.

Mocha Brownie Cupcake

Mocha Brownie Cupcake

The cupcake offers a solid punch of chocolate while not being overly sweet. The cake itself is rich in flavor and dotted with a generous amount of mini chocolate chips. The frosting has a hint of mocha mixed in, keeping the chocolate as the star without hitting you in the face with coffee.

Mocha Brownie Cupcake

Mocha Brownie Cupcake

Now, as somewhat expected with gluten-free baked goods, the texture does differ from a more traditional cake recipe. This one was a bit dry and very dense — it was even a little difficult to cut in half with a fork. That’s possibly due to both the cakes being chilled in the case before serving and the denser brownie style for this one, because I’ve found the regular cake-style cupcakes here to be less dry on several occasions.

Overall, though, it tamed both the sweet tooth AND the chocolate craving, and served as a solid reminder that it’s good to have BabyCakes back in Downtown Disney.

Oh, one more thing! If you’re a fan of the cupcakes or donuts at Erin McKenna’s Bakery NYC and are able to frequent the location, be sure to ask about their brand new loyalty card on your next visit!

©Disney

©Disney (via @WDWDowntown Twitter)

Are you in the market for a free cupcake?

Have you had a chance to stop by the still-new Erin McKenna’s Bakery NYC? Please let us know about your experience with a comment!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

View the full article