Review: The Boathouse at Disney World’s Disney Springs

Disney4me

We’ve been waiting, and it’s finally here! The Boathouse is now open!

The restaurant is located in what will be The Landing Area of Disney Springs (still officially Downtown Disney, but it seems to be getting closer to the changeover everyday.)

The Boathouse opened its doors on Monday, but don’t rush out to get an Advance Dining Reservation just yet. While we’ve had success booking through the Open Table website for May 15th and after, Disney still isn’t offering ADRs — a signal that this is clearly a soft opening period, and a time for the staff and kitchen to work out the kinks.

There’s been a ton of hullabaloo over what we can expect, food and price-wise. We have lots of information and pics to share with you — as well as some information to clarify! So let’s get started.

Atmosphere

I’ve been dying to get a peek behind those walls forever — and now they’re down! And the new restaurant is pretty beautiful.

As You Approach the Boathouse

As You Approach the Boathouse

You’ll see the entrance to the restaurant to the left. The big green tower that we’ve all been watching for a while now is the entrance to the Ship’s Store, the Boathouse’s gift shop.

Entrance

Entrance to Ship’s Store

Between the two entrances on the day we visited, there was this tiny little boat right by the front door. I’m thinkin’ it would be pretty fun to take it for a spin. :-)

Another Tiny Boat

A Tiny Boat By the Front Entrance

Here’s a shot from across the water. This is a great way to sort of get your bearings if you’re still wondering where in the grand scheme of Downtown Disney that The Boathouse is located. This also gives you a glimpse of how The Boathouse has “grown” rather organically. I’m looking forward to hearing the story here. Because we all know — this is Disney. There’s always a story.

The Boathouse as Seen from the Water View

The Boathouse as Seen from the Water View

But The Boathouse will be more than just a place to eat. It will also be home to several boat-themed attractions. In other words, it really is a boathouse.

We gave you a glimpse of Amphicar dress rehearsals taking place the other day ahead of Monday’s soft opening. And today, we have a few more pics to show you! You’ll find the Amphicar Launch around the side of restaurant, to the left of the main entrance.

Amphicar Launch

Amphicar Launch

So you think they just hop in the car and drive it into the water, right? Well, of course, it’s not quite that simple.

See this Amphicar Captain? That wheel behind him is more than just a fancy prop. The captain’s wheel has many gears just behind and under it. When a member of the staff turns the wheel, it actually rotates the turntable that the Amphicars are parked on. When they come in from the lake, they are facing the street. The car wheels are locked down, and the captain turns this wheel, which rotates the car 180 degrees, so that it’s facing the water again. Pretty swift, eh?

Amphicar Captain Stands at the Ready

Amphicar Captain Stands at the Ready

And in case you aren’t tired of looking at these cute little overachievers, here’s another shot. The teal one may just be my favorite.

One of the Amphicars on the Ramp

One of the Amphicars on the Ramp

And…off he goes! Super fun.

One of the Captains Taking an Amphicar for a Spin

One of the Captains Taking an Amphicar for a Spin

But the amphicars aren’t the only game in town. While we haven’t yet seen the 40-foot Italian Water Taxis that are touted as another Boathouse draw, there are plenty of interesting watercraft to check out.

Like this gorgeous option. I wouldn’t mind cruising the harbor in one of these.

Another Beautiful Boat

Another Beautiful Boat

And then, there’s the U-22 Alter Ego, a vintage racing boat. This thing is fierce; it looks like it’s about to blast off to the moon, doesn’t it?

Rocket Boat!

Rocket Boat! U-22 Alter Ego

While it looks like they’re still trying to get everything arranged and situated, you can definitely tell that this area is going to offer some fantastic opportunities for vintage boat fans to enjoy a look around.

But now, let’s get back to the restaurant. Behind The Boathouse, you’ll find one of the restaurant’s three bars, the Dockside Bar.

Dockside Bar

Dockside Bar

While you take a walkway to get to the bar, there’s quite a bit of seating situated closer to the building. The sense here is that it will be walk up seating — an outdoor extension to the first inside dining and bar area (which we’ll show you in just a sec).

Check out this awesome firepit! I can’t wait to hang out here with an adult beverage.

Outdoor Seating

Outdoor Seating

Teak Tables and Chairs with a View

Teak Tables and Chairs with a View

And I thought this was a pretty fun detail. You may ask, “What happens if one of those fancy vintage Amphicars suddenly loses power?” Well, these little guys will come to the rescue and tow the Amphicars back to the dock.

Amphicar Rescue Vehicles -- Just in Case

Amphicar Rescue Vehicles — Just in Case

Whew! How’s that for a look around outside! Now, let’s head inside for even more touring.

When you walk into The Boathouse, you enter directly into the first bar — the Captain’s Raw Bar. This area features a cathedral ceiling and lots of rich wood accents. The feeling is refined, although it has almost a workshop-like vibe.

Bar 1 -- Another View

Bar 1

The Raw Bar is actually part of a bar which also serves drinks. Those crazy multitaskers.

Raw Bar

Raw Bar

Raw Bar

Raw Bar — Up Close

Good news if you’re looking to catch part of a game or your favorite team’s score — there are large TVs situated over the bar area.

Bar 1 Televisions

Bar 1 Televisions

There is seating at the bar, of course. And it’s important to note that, while comfortable, none of the designated bar seating includes chairs with back support. If you topple over easily, you may want to request a spot in the dining room!

Bar 1 Seating

Bar 1 Seating

Trendy communal seating has made its way to The Boathouse as well. While these tables seating 8 are termed “family seating”, especially during the soft opening phase, walk up patrons may find themselves seated here with other parties.

Bar 1 Family Style and Communal Seating

Bar 1 Family Style and Communal Seating

There are smaller tables available too, though.

Bar Seating

Bar Seating

One detail we learned early on was that The Boathouse planned to offer live music, and we found that to be the case during our visit. Over the duration of our meal, two different musicians played in this area, and the music was piped throughout the entire venue.

Live Music is Played and Piped Throughout the Restaurant

Live Music is Played and Piped Throughout the Restaurant

As you would expect, boats and parts of boats figure strongly into the decor of The Boathouse — especially in this first room.

Model Boat with Working Motor

Model Boat with Working Motor

Outboard motors of all makes and sizes are mounted on the walls and displayed on stands. The staff was very quick to tell us that the models were actually working motors. Why this is important, I’m not sure. But I guess…authenticity?

Wall of Motors

Wall of Motors

Close Up for Functioning Outboard Motor

Close Up of Functioning Outboard Motor

But the other detail that you’ll see plenty of are these whimsical Rubber Ducks. While the duckies you spy throughout the restaurant are affixed in place to make sure they don’t walk off ;-) , there are plenty of cute varieties for sale in the Ship’s Store. We’ll look at a few options in just a bit.

Quack Craft Ducks Can Be Found Throughout

Rubber Ducks Can Be Found Throughout

Another fun feature of this area is the booth in a boat! Would you expect anything less from Schussler Creative, who gave us a booth in in the belly of a triceratops at T-Rex? (I must sit at this table.)

Boat Booth Seating

Boat Booth Seating

The custom Chris Craft Boat features a nifty niche cut out, big enough to accommodate at least five.

Booth in Boat -- Up Close

Booth in Boat — Up Close

From here, you segue into the the next dining room. Ceiling heights come down, but the boat touches remain.

Dining Room 2 -- Another Shot

Second Dining Room

We saw spare use of aquamarine in the first dining area, and that same color is carried through here. It serves to unify the spaces, as the decor here is drastically different from the entrance. A large central fan keeps air circulating. Chairs in this area have backs, but there are also a few semi-circle booths that you can choose from.

Dining Room 2

Dining Room 2

From here, you move to the third dining area, which seems to me much more refined and upscale. This is also where you’ll find the Admiral’s Club Bar.

Wide View of Dining Room 3

Wide View of Dining Room 3

Bar in Dining Room 3

The Admiral’s Club Bar

This room feels more like a private club. The aquamarine and bright white color scheme differ drastically from the more rustic areas we’ve seen prior to this.

Dining Room 3 Table Setting

Dining Room 3 Table Setting

More Seating in Dining Room 3

More Seating in Dining Room 3

Be sure to check out the glass “fish tank” that’s the centerpiece of this room. What a fun, low-maintenance way to incorporate marine life into the decor!

Glass "Fish Tank" in Dining Room 3

Glass “Fish Tank” in Dining Room 3

Finally, we move on to an area that will be reserved for private dining functions. The rooms are appropriately called The Regatta and The Trophy Room.

Dining Room 4

The Regatta and The Trophy Room — Private Dining Area

Outside Windows and Lighting

Outside Windows and Lighting

The rooms, which may be used for overflow dining during busy times, have two main focal points. This large, built-in wine storage area showcases some of the restaurant’s wine collection.

Wine Rack

Wine Rack

The other is a stately fireplace with a marble surround and a mantel that holds The Boathouse’s trophies. Impressive!

Now, clearly, the area is being used to store extra chairs during soft opening. Still, you get a sense of how nicely appointed it is.

Mantel with Trophies and Models

Mantel with Trophies and Models

And this is a really cool detail — check out the photo of the boat, and a replica of a boat that’s very similar to the one in the photo, displayed together!

Picture and Model of the Same Boat

Picture and Model of the Same Boat

Seating here is very similar to what we found in the previous dining room.

Dining Room 4 Seating

Seating

Don’t you love the lights?

Ceiling Detail Dining Room 4

Beautiful Lights

Whew! Hang on! We are almost to the food!

The last space that I’d like to show you before we dig in is the Ship’s Store. Remember back at the front of the restaurant? You veer right if you’d like to shop a bit.

Here you’ll find all manner of merch, from apparel and mugs, to models, and even board games.

Cast Member and Display Counters in Ship Store

Cast Member and Display Counters in Ship Store

Boathouse Hoodie

Boathouse Hoodie

Boathouse Amphicar Mug

Boathouse Amphicar Mug

Boat Replica

Boat Replica

Classic Boat Replicas

Classic Boat Replicas

Miniature Outboard Motor Models for Sale

Miniature Outboard Motor Models for Sale

Boat-Shaped Game Sets

Boat-Shaped Game Sets

And yep — there are rubber duckies, too.

Quack Craft Ducks Come Come in All Kinds of Fun Themes

Rubber Ducks Come Come in All Kinds of Fun Themes

More Quack Craft Ducks

More Ducks

Kangaroo...Duck?

Kangaroo…Duck?

Okay…now that you’ve had a look around, let’s get to the food.

Eats

During this time, The Boathouse is featuring two menus: a Bar Menu and a Table Service Menu. Essentially, the bar menu includes raw bar items and more casual fare. There is some overlap to the menus, but if you’re looking for a burger, head to the bar. If you want steaks, it’s the dining room for you.

However, if you’re sitting in the bar area, you can order from either the bar or table menu. At least for now.

Bar Menu -- Front -- Click to Enlarge

Bar Menu — Front — Click to Enlarge

Bar Menu -- Back -- Click to Enlarge

Bar Menu — Back — Click to Enlarge

Table Menu -- Front -- Click to Enlarge

Table Menu — Front — Click to Enlarge

Table Menu -- Back -- Click to Enlarge

Table Menu — Back — Click to Enlarge

For our first time out, we decided to stick to entrees, sides, and dessert. But we were lucky to snag a few pics of some raw bar items. Everything that we saw looked extremely fresh and well prepared.

Anastasia Gold Farm Raised Caviar -- A Boathouse Exclusive

Anastasia Gold Farm Raised Caviar — A Boathouse Exclusive

Lobster Cocktail and Oysters on the Half Shell

Lobster Cocktail and Oysters on the Half Shell

Wild Caught Baja Shrimp Cocktail

Wild Caught Baja Shrimp Cocktail

If you’re very observant, you’ll see that we’re seated in the second dining room, right next to the boat booth. Alas, maybe it will be my turn to sit there another day. :-)

Our Table Setting

Our Table Setting

You may have noticed during our tour of the dining rooms earlier, but Crystal Hot Sauce is the preferred brand here. You’ll find a bottle on every table.

Crystal Hot Sauce on the Table

Crystal Hot Sauce on the Table

We began our meal with Complimentary Bread Service and Butter. It was perfectly fine, but nothing out of the ordinary. Interestingly, they also brought a Carafe of Ice Water so that we could help ourselves.

Complimentary Bread Service

Complimentary Bread Service

We dug right into our entrees. We began with the Swordfish, which is served on a bed of Sweet Corn, Fennel, Andouille and Potato Hash, and Creole Butter.

Swordfish

Swordfish

Definitely a Louisiana and Cajun vibe here.

Swordfish -- Different Angle

Swordfish — Different Angle

While we couldn’t identify every spice used here, we really enjoyed the dish — especially the savory components. Apparently, chefs are doing a lot of sweet sides with swordfish these days, but this was a good approach. While some have thought the dish too salty, we didn’t feel this way.

Swordfish -- Up Close

Swordfish — Up Close

Of course, we also had to give a steak a try — so we ordered up one of my favorites — the 8-Ounce Filet Mignon. Steaks are served with your choice of Sauce — Béarnaise, Peppercorn, Red Wine, or the signature Boathouse Steak Sauce. We asked to try them all, and our server cheerfully obliged. (We somehow ended up with a bonus sauce…I’m pretty sure it was an extra order of Hollandaise. And who in the world would complain about that??)

Eight-Ounce Filet Mignon, Pictured with All Sauce Choices

Eight-Ounce Filet Mignon, Pictured with All Sauce Choices

The steak had a nice crust and was well-prepared. It may have been cooked slightly longer than I would have liked, but it wasn’t tragic. The meat had good flavor and was very tender. In fact, we joked we could have cut it with a spoon.

Eight-Ounce Filet -- Cross Section, Up Close

Eight-Ounce Filet — Cross Section, Up Close

A word about the sauces…while they were all good, I really liked the signature sauce. Our server shared with us that it actually came about as a result of an internal contest among the chefs. This was the winner! And it’s made fresh in-house, daily.

We opted for a couple of extra sides as well. Our first choice was the Grilled Asparagus.

Now, first thing I have to clear up — the side is $12, not $21, as was previously discussed. I know, I know. It’s still expensive. But I can tell you that it was incredibly good quality, came with a side of Hollandaise (woo!), and was more than enough for two people.

The Legendary Side of Asparagus

The Legendary Side of Asparagus

But we also couldn’t pass up the Shrimp and Andouille Mac and Cheese.

Shrimp and Andouille Mac and Cheese

Shrimp and Andouille Mac and Cheese

It was, in a word, awesome. And huge! I could easily have made an entree of this side dish and happily called it a day.

Shrimp and Andouille Mac and Cheese -- Up Close

Shrimp and Andouille Mac and Cheese — Up Close

Even though we were more than satisfied with our large meal, we couldn’t pass up a chance to sample The Boathouse dessert menu. (If you’re looking for it on the menus above, you’ll find the sweet stuff in the lower left hand corner of the bar menu.)

To be honest, the only thing that jumped out at us was the Whiskey Caramel Cornbread Cake.

Whiskey Caramel Cornbread Cake

Whiskey Caramel Cornbread Cake

Basically, this was a take on an old fashioned berry shortcake, but with a cornmeal cake.

Whiskey Caramel Cornbread Cake -- Up Close

Whiskey Caramel Cornbread Cake — Up Close

The flavor combination was delicious, even though we would have preferred a sweeter cake. Still, it was fresh and well prepared. And the texture of the cornmeal cake held up nicely to the thin caramel sauce.

Whiskey Caramel Cornbread Cake -- Cake Detail

Whiskey Caramel Cornbread Cake — Cake Detail

And with that, our very first meal at The Boathouse was in the books!

Overall

So. What do we think of The Boathouse? Well. The jury is still out.

Across the board, the food that we ordered was good to great, and we enjoyed friendly, relaxed service. The setting is beautiful, with thoughtful, upscale detail. You really do feel like you’re dining at your chi-chi yacht club.

But — those prices. When I take a step back and look at them, they’re a little…well, pricey. $19 for Chicken Fingers? And still, we have sticker shock — albeit less so than previously — from that asparagus.

Yes, when The Boathouse comes online with the Disney Dining Plan (and we expect that it will), it will very likely be a Signature restaurant; and participating in the DDP will alleviate the issue of cost for some guests. But still, for these prices I want to have the best meal of my life. Can The Boathouse deliver that? We’ll see!

Are you excited to try The Boathouse at Downtown Disney? Leave a comment and let us know your thoughts!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

View the full article