Review: Black Forest and Apple Spice Cupcakes at Epcot’s Sunshine Seasons

Disney4me

It’s dessert time, and we’re heading to Epcot’s Sunshine Seasons!

Located on the ground floor of The Land Pavilion, Sunshine Seasons is one of my favorite spots for discovering delectable sweet treats. Their Strawberry Shortcake is legendary, and I recently discovered an absolute must-eat treat, the Warm Peanut Butter Brownie, while visiting here.

But Sunshine Seasons is also a best-kept secret for some of the most interesting and delicious Disney Cupcakes as well. We’ve enjoyed seasonal options like Pineapple Coconut and Guava Cream Cheese Cupcakes.

On a recent visit, I also spied two brand-new-to-me cupcakes that I just had to share with you guys! Settle in, ’cause this is gonna be good.

Sunshine Seasons at The Land pavilion in Epcot

Sunshine Seasons at The Land pavilion in Epcot

Apple Spice Cupcake

First up, I spied the Apple Spice Cupcake. At least, that’s what we’re gonna call it. And how could you not spy it from like a mile away? With that solid covering of sparkly Red Sugar, this one was stunning, and certainly stood out from the crowd. Piped Green Icing Leaves completed the pop of color, and a Pretzel Stick made a good apple stem.

But I couldn’t wait to dig in and see what was under that sugar!

Apple Spice Cupcake

Apple Spice Cupcake

As soon as I got it, I cut it in half to check out the contents (as per usual). The construction of this one is kind of interesting to me, since the frosting is applied in a dome-like fashion, rather than piped.

Beneath the sugar, that frosting turned out to be one of the very best kind — Cream Cheese! At least I THINK it was cream cheese. It had a little apply flavor to it as well! Either way, it was dense and delicious.

The cake was, predictably, Apple Spice-Flavored. But that makes it sound boring, and this was anything but. It was super moist and perfectly spiced. There were no fancy fillings, but honestly, there didn’t need to be.

Apple Spice Cupcake -- Cross Section

Apple Spice Cupcake — Cross Section

The combination of dense Cream Cheese Frosting, Moist Apple Cake, and the Crunch from the Sugar were all this one needed to be tops on my list of cupcakes.

Black Forest Cupcake

The other cupcake I sampled provided a major contrast, both visually and flavor-wise. The Black Forest Cupcake will definitely attract the attention of cherry chocolate fans. The Chocolate Dipped Cherry on top was a great addition.

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcake

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcake

A closer look at the Chocolate Frosting beneath indicates that it’s probably Buttercream, and the Chocolate Sauce Drizzle provided a really nice contrast.

The Buttercream is whipped and light, but very sweet. It’s interesting that they went with Chocolate Buttercream here instead of the more traditional Whipped Cream.

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcake -- Up Close

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcake — Up Close

Cutting into this one, I found what I hoped for — a surprise filling of Cherry Pie Filling!

They’ve done that little trick where they cut out the middle in a cone shape, add the filling, and put the inside back on upside down. The result is you get a yummy, surprise filling, and the cone of cake is the perfect base for piping buttercream. The only downside is that frosting lovers might be disappointed when they find the top isn’t a giant helping of frosting.

This one was good, but I’ll give huge edge to the Apple Spice Cupcake.

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcake -- Cross Section

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcake — Cross Section

But — I do love me some Cherry Pie Filling!

Want Even More Epcot Snack Details?

Let’s face it: snacks are a big deal during your Disney vacation. And we’ve got all the info you need to get the biggest bang for your buck!

DFB Guide to Epcot Snacks  DFB Store - Mozilla Firefox 7212014 30032 PM

The DFB Guide to Epcot Snacks e-Book helps you to make the most out of your trip.

Our fully guaranteed, convenient e-Book format is available for instant download and use on any mobile device, so you’ll be able to enjoy it immediately!

Inside the DFB Guide to Epcot Snacks e-Book you’ll find full-color photos and reviews of over 250 of our favorite Epcot snacks, pricing and dining plan info, bonus items, and more!

And all of our DFB Guides come with a 100% money back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose!

Will you make a beeline for Sunshine Seasons to try the Black Forest Cupcake or Apple Spice Cupcake? Join in the conversation by leaving a comment below!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

View the full article