Review: Flour and Sugar Cookie Kiosk at the New Downtown Disney Village Causeway

Disney4me

It was fun seeing some of the progress amidst all the Disney Springs construction on a recent trip to Downtown Disney. While the main purpose of my visit was to check out the new Erin McKenna’s Bakery NYC, I was also able to do some exploring and check out a few new features in the area, including the recently opened Village Causeway on the Marketplace side.

Village Causeway

Village Causeway

This also gave me a chance to try a little something from Flour and Sugar, one of four new retail kiosks on the Causeway.The reason for interest in Flour and Sugar is that is specializes in cookies — and not just any cookies, but cookies inspired by the Sunshine State. Let’s have a look!

Flour & Sugar sign

Flour & Sugar sign

Atmosphere

As mentioned, Flour and Sugar itself is simply a kiosk. We’ll be exploring the stand itself momentarily, but the “atmosphere” I’m mainly referring to revolves around the Village Causeway itself, where Flour and Sugar finds its home.

Village Causeway

Village Causeway

We’ve been keeping an eye on the Causeway since its earliest construction days when it looked like this:

The beginnings of the Causeway

The beginnings of the Causeway (April 2014)

The Village Causeway allows easier access from the area surrounding T-Rex and the Lego Store to the Rainforest Cafe side of the Marketplace. The view below of Fulton’s Crab House is from the start of the bridge on the T-Rex side.

The view from the T-Rex and Lego side of the Causeway

The view from the T-Rex and Lego side of the Causeway

The Rainforest Cafe side of the Causeway

The Rainforest Cafe side of the Causeway

What used to be solely water space now provides a roomy passage, and if you’ve ever been caught in the gridlock around the World of Disney store (also rumored to receive its own expansion one of these days), I don’t need to tell you what a great thing the Causeway is.

Aside from the walkway, there are a few benches here and there to relax and take in the views, and the

lamp posts are already displaying the Disney Springs logo for when the time comes.

Bench area

Bench area

Lamp post

Lamp post

Ready for Disney Springs!

Ready for Disney Springs!

And finally, there is a group of small kiosks. Flour and Sugar has three neighbors: Florida Bath Co., Icon Jewellery, and Kate & Leo (featuring toys and games).  The vibe is pretty casual — just have a quick peek as you walk by and see if anything catches your fancy.

Kiosks on the Causeway

Kiosks on the Causeway

Of course, we’re most interested in the one selling food, so let’s stop by!

Eats

Flour and Sugar sells cookies inspired by cities, towns and areas here in the Sunshine State of Florida, and you can catch the theme right off the bat from the wording on the kiosk: “Florida Inspired Cookies.”

Flour and Sugar kiosk

Flour and Sugar kiosk

Flour and Sugar kiosk

Flour and Sugar kiosk

Just stroll right up and have a look in the compartments to see the packaged cookie options. Some of the connections of the cookie recipe to its namesake city are obvious: for instance, a Toasted Coconut Key Lime Cookie presents tropical flavors for South Beach and a Strawberry Blend Shortbread Cookie represents Plant City (click on the image to enlarge).

Part of the cookie selection at Flour and Sugar

Part of the cookie selection at Flour and Sugar

Other connections are less obvious (to me, anyway; as a still-rather-new Floridian, there are plenty of places I’m not very familiar with yet – I could be missing something here), like the Cinnamon Pecan Cookie for Naples, the Chocolate Pecan Cookie for Celebration, and the PB&J Cookie for Hollywood, FL.

Celebration

Celebration Chocolate Pecan Cookie

Hollywood PB&J Cookie

Hollywood PB&J Cookie

W

Weikwa Chocolate Hazelnut S’more

Clearly, Flour and Sugar has no kitchen ;). A Cast Member shared that the cookies are baked in a local Orlando bakery and brought to Flour and Sugar. You can see the “Baked in Florida with Love” message on the colorful kiosk decorations.

"Baked in Florida with Love"

“Baked in Florida with Love”

I selected a Key Lime S’more inspired by Siesta Key, in honor of the return of tropical-type temps recently here in Florida.

Key Lime S'more for Siesta Key

Key Lime S’more for Siesta Key

The Key Lime S’more has a thick marshmallow center with graham cookies surrounding it.

Key Lime S'more

Key Lime S’more

Rather than chocolate, as with a traditional S’more, this version has a key lime icing lining the cookies. It’s a thin layer which is difficult to see without pulling the cookie apart, but you can definitely taste the citrus, giving it a fun tropical boost.

Key Lime flavored icing lining the cookies

Key Lime flavored icing lining the cookies

Like a graham cracker, the cookies are good and crumbly, and the marshmallow inside was soft.

Key Lime S'more

Key Lime S’more

The whole thing came together pretty well, and the key lime was fun departure from a regular S’more. But I can’t say it’s going to land on a must-have snack list for me. While it was fine, I’d probably still head to Ghirardelli’s or Goofy’s Candy Co. for my choice of sweet treats in the Marketplace, personally. But that’s not to say that I don’t think Flour and Sugar has a place, though. Read on to see what I mean…

Overall

I think the idea behind Flour and Sugar is super fun, and the cookies could make great souvenirs to enjoy a taste of the Sunshine State back home. Or, if you’re one who enjoys grabbing small gifts for your friends, family, or coworkers, this fits the bill for that purpose — especially if you’ve made other Florida destinations part of your travels.

For locals like myself, I could certainly see grabbing a few of these for some Christmas-time stocking fun for family members. And since shopping for souvenirs and gifts is one of the main things happening all over Downtown Disney, Flour and Sugar seems to fit right in!

Flour and Sugar logo

Flour and Sugar logo

And I can definitely tell you I’m all for their philosophy: “Happiness is only a cookie away…”

Will you be stopping by Flour and Sugar on your next trip to the Marketplace? Please let us know with a comment!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

View the full article