Review: Breakfast at Sassagoula Floatworks & Food Factory, Port Orleans French Quarter

Disney4me

Sassagoula Floatworks & Food Factory — it’s a long name for dining spot, and kind of a tongue twister — but it has some unique menu items and is definitely worth a visit if you’re a beignet fan!

Or a New Orleans fan.

Or a Mardi Gras fan.

Or just like big, giant parade float heads hanging from ceilings.

Not sure what I’m talking about? Let’s take a look inside… .

Atmosphere

Sassagoula is, of course, the river running through the resorts around Downtown Disney, including the sister Port Orleans resorts — Riverside, and French Quarter. Upon arrival at the Port Orleans French Quarter resort, a welcoming indoor courtyard complete with an ornate fountain creates a relaxing atmosphere.

If you’re hungry, you’ll find Floatworks — named as such because it’s themed after a warehouse storing Mardi Gras parade props —  opposite the Registration area. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks are offered throughout the day.

Entrance to Float Works

Entrance to Float Works

Look closely and you’ll see some hidden dining references in the Sassagoula sign. Utensils, seafood, lemon, asparagus… what else?

Look for hidden food references

Look for hidden food references

A display reminds guests of their dining choices while visiting the Port Orleans resorts.

Dining Choices at the Port Orleans Resorts

Dining Choices at the Port Orleans Resorts

Here’s your first glimpse of the “floatworks.” Crazy, eh?

It's Mardi Gras time!

It’s Mardi Gras time!

While the weird parade props have always disturbed me, some guests enjoy the whimsical decor. I understand the theme but find the decor outdated. (I’d love to see a refresh here). Of course, you’ll find whimsy around the resort — from Scales (the serpent pool slide) to jazzy tunes, the vibe is casual and relaxing. Just as it should be on vacation!

I spy a yellow piece of candy!

I spy a yellow piece of candy!

Entertain the kids with a game of “I Spy” while dining!

A great snack option is ice cream!

A great snack option is ice cream!

I do like the dining room’s dark wooden tables and mismatched chairs; it just feels cozy. Brick accents and lantern lighting adds to the quaint ambiance. In fact, the whole resort is a mixture of playfulness and charm.

Mardi Gras props in dining room

Mardi Gras props in dining room

Most importantly, the dining area and serving stations are kept very tidy. (During our stay, we did not find this to be the case over at the Riverside Mill.)

Artwork reflects the Cajun and Creole flavors on the menu such as the Gumbo and Jambalaya dishes served later in the day.

Louisiana is known for  spicy Cajun and Creole dishes

Louisiana is known for spicy Cajun and Creole dishes

Take your breakfast to the adjacent Scat Cat’s Club for a quieter meal.

Additional seating at Scat Cat's

Additional seating at Scat Cat’s

Inside the club, your morning meal can be savored with a dose of cartoons!

Cartoons

Cartoons

Eats

Guests on the Disney Dining Plan can use their quick service credits to redeem meals at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Use your Disney Dining Plan credits

Use your Disney Dining Plan credits

Snack options are also available!

Got a Rapid Fill mug? Head to the beverage island for hot and cold drinks!

Hot and cold beverages

Hot and cold beverages

At the Rapid Fill station, fill up on water, Sprite Zero, Barq’s Root Beer, Fanta Orange, Coca-Cola Zero, Minute Maid Light Pomegranate Lemonade, Coca-Cola Cherry, Sprite, Powerade Mountain Berry Blast, Hi-C Fruit Punch, Diet Coke, and Coca-Cola.

Cold beverages at the Rapid Fill station

Cold beverages at the Rapid Fill station

Breakfast
Breakfast here at Sassagoula often includes their “you-can-only-get-’em-here” made-to-order beignets. Many Disney guests visit this spot solely for these doughy treats.

Port Orleans French Quarter Beignets

Port Orleans French Quarter Beignets

But we’d had beignets the previous day, so my husband opted for the Bounty Breakfast Platter served with scrambled eggs, a Mickey waffle, bacon, sausage, and a biscuit. For a quick service meal, he deemed all of the elements to be worthy of a thumbs up.

A bountiful start to the day

A bountiful start to the day

I love breakfast foods. My choice here was easy though, as I always enjoy the cheese omelet and breakfast potatoes served at many of the Disney value and moderate resorts.

Seasoned breakfast potatoes

Seasoned breakfast potatoes

Here, the fluffy texture of the omelet and the smooth, melted cheese were done just right.

Fluffy cheese omelet

Fluffy cheese omelet

Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
On a separate visit, I just had to snack on an ice cream sandwich. With your choice of homemade cookies and ice cream, these dessert sandwiches are over the top! I went with the old-fashioned chocolate chip cookie and vanilla ice cream combo. Yum!

Chocolate Chip cookies with vanilla ice cream

Chocolate Chip cookies with vanilla ice cream

I like my cookie with less crunch, and a chewier cookie would have made this combination perfect.

Ice cream nestled between two homemade cookies

Ice cream nestled between two homemade cookies

Overall

Overall, I really enjoyed being able to take our breakfast to Scat Cat’s. It made for a much quieter start to the day.

While some of the food items here can be found elsewhere in Walt Disney World, guests with more adventurous palates will appreciate the themed food options including Po’ Boys, Jambalaya, and Gumbo.

What do you think about the decor at Sassagoula? Any recommendations beyond the must-have beignets? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

Related posts:

1. Guest Review: Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory Breakfast
  2. Snack Series: Beignets at Port Orleans Resort, French Quarter
  3. Review: Cherry Cobbler at Port Orleans, Riverside Resort

View the full article