News! Pineapple Lanai Opens at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort (Dole Whip!!)

Disney4me

Well, when we visited the newly refurbished Captain Cook’s at the Polynesian Village Resort, we said we’d be back soon… and here we are, because the brand new Pineapple Lanai is now open!

Pineapple Lanai sign

Pineapple Lanai sign

So, why is Pineapple Lanai so important? It’s the new home to Dole Whip at the Polynesian! (For anyone unfamiliar with this beloved treat, check out a little Dole Whip info here. Then be sure to schedule some of your own personal snacking research on this pineapple soft serve — you’ll be glad you did!)

Pineapple and Vanilla Swirl Dole Whip in Tiki Bowl

We’d love to take you on a quick tour of this new space.

Atmosphere

You’ll find Pineapple Lanai on the ground level upon exiting the Great Ceremonial House from the sliding glass doors in the back. If you’re exiting either outside door of Captain Cook’s, just take a turn to the left (or two, depending on which door you exit ;-D).

Coming from Captain Cook's

Coming from Captain Cook’s

The area is relaxed and casual. Basically just the ordering window where you can spy the menu on top, the fun Pineapple Lanai sign, and outdoor seating. (I took a few of these photos before the Lanai opened, so the window is shuttered in some of the shots.)

Pineapple Lanai

Pineapple Lanai

Pineapple Lanai

Pineapple Lanai

Pineapple Lanai

Pineapple Lanai

Pineapple Lanai

Pineapple Lanai

The dark wood accents in the direct area and palm trees just across the way spread the tropical vibe.

View from Pineapple Lanai

View from Pineapple Lanai

But it’s nice to know there is protection from the elements, which was needed several times the day the Lanai opened!

Rainy Day at the Polynesian

Rainy Day at the Polynesian

It’s just the spot to enjoy your tropical treat… because Dole Whip is what you’re here for, and Dole Whip you shall receive!

Eats

The menu features the flavors previously available when the Dole Whip machine could be found in Captain Cook’s: Pineapple and Vanilla. You can have them served individually or swirled together, and you also have the option of your choice of Dole Whip in a Pineapple Float, a la Magic Kingdom’s Aloha Isle.

Pineapple Lanai Menu

Pineapple Lanai Menu

As designated on the menu, each treat is available for a snack credit on the Disney Dining Plan (sans souvenir items).

Something unexpected is the addition of a souvenir Tiki Bowl (for the soft serve alone) or Tiki Sipper (for a Float).

Tiki Bowl menu picture

Tiki Bowl menu picture

As you can see, this location now greatly resembles the menu found at Disneyland’s Tiki Juice Bar. (Yet we’re still not going to get cherries and umbrellas in our Florida drinks, but I can always hold out hope!)

Tiki Sipper menu picture

Tiki Sipper menu picture

The Tiki Sipper for the Floats bears an uncanny resemblance to the Tiki Tankard found at Sunshine Tree Terrace in Adventureland :).

For those who mastered the art of creating your own self-serve Dole Whip towers at Captain Cook’s, you should know that the self-serve machines — as anticipated — are a thing of yesteryear. Now you’ll place your order at the window.

Pineapple Lanai is open!

Pineapple Lanai is open!

And the Cast Member will prepare your order with the machines inside the building.

Dole Whip machines

Dole Whip machines

My go-to Dole Whip is available at Aloha Isle (a Pineapple-Orange Swirl Float), so I had to change things up a bit here, and opted for the Pineapple and Vanilla Swirl in a Souvenir Tiki Bowl.

In order to keep my Tiki Bowl clean, the Cast Member served the Dole Whip itself in a paper cup and placed it in the bowl (not per request – it just came that way). At certain angles it looks like the three little Tikis circling the bowl are hard at work holding up the Dole Whip :).

Tiki Bowl

Tiki Bowl

I still prefer my pineapple Dole Whip swirled with orange, but I definitely get the appeal of the creamy, sweet vanilla alongside the tart pineapple. The whole thing was refreshing, just like always.

Pineapple and Vanilla Swirl Dole Whip

Pineapple and Vanilla Swirl Dole Whip

I was able to snag a picture of a Float while I was at it. Nope; no cherries. No umbrellas. Sigh.

Pineapple and Vanilla Swirl Dole Whip Float

Pineapple and Vanilla Swirl Dole Whip Float

Aaah, Dole Whip… I’ve had worse dinners ;).

No Dole Whips for breakfast, though… The Pineapple Lanai opens at noon, and stays open until one hour after “Wishes,” Magic Kingdom’s nighttime fireworks spectacular.

So, for me, the biggest loss here is that I can no longer get Dole Whip at 4AM (Captain Cook’s is open 24 hours and the self-serve Dole Whip machine was available for 23 of them each day).

Overall

It’s good to have Dole Whip back at the Polynesian, even with the loss of the self-serve machines (though that one will sting a bit – especially for those who perfected their Dole Whip Tower over many years) and all-nighter Dole Whip parties. But we welcome Pineapple Floats and a dedicated space to enjoy one of the most iconic Disney treats there is. Here’s to many more Dole Whips at the Polynesian Village Resort!

Will you be visiting the new Pineapple Lanai on your next trip to Disney World? Please let us know with a comment!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

Related posts:

1. News! Souvenir Tiki Dole Whip Cups Available to Celebrate Disneyland’s 59th Birthday
  2. News! Dole Whip Arriving at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
  3. Reader Question: Is Dole Whip Vegan and Gluten Free?

View the full article