Review: La Cava del Tequila in Epcot’s Mexico Pavilion

Disney4me

Aaaahhh, La Cava del Tequila… what’s a trip around World Showcase without walking inside your doors?

Well, we’re back, and we’re here to celebrate a very special birthday…La Cava del Tequila just turned five years old! For a place that’s still relatively new (in Disney World terms, anyway), it sure has earned its place on the absolute MUST list ever since opening its doors in August 2009.

We’re celebrating this special occasion with a few of my favorite things (cue the song!) and branching out with a few sips I’d never tried before.

As the saying goes, it may be “5 o’clock somewhere,” but we’re just happy when it’s 12 o’clock at La Cava del Tequila!

La Cava del Tequila Sign

La Cava del Tequila Sign

"We Open at Noon"

“We Open at Noon”

Is it noon yet ;) ? Then let’s step in!

Atmosphere

Small and cozy (and often crowded due to its well-deserved reputation), there’s still plenty for the eye to take in. Obviously, the tequila gets the spotlight – both figuratively and literally!

La Cava Tequilas

La Cava Tequilas

When you first walk in, the highlight to your left is the bar itself. If your visit is anything like mine often are, there will already be lines four people deep here. Take a deep breath and dive on in!

At opening time, the lines aren't too bad.

At opening time, the lines aren’t too bad.

Once you get up to the bar, you’ll be welcomed by the best in the business. We’ve always found La Cava bartenders and staff to be welcoming, knowledgable, and willing to share their expertise on what to choose.

La Cava Bartenders hard at work

La Cava Bartenders hard at work

The best in the business

The best in the business

If you decide you don’t want to drink and dash — and we highly recommend taking a little time to chill out and relax here at La Cava — you can always have a seat and be waited on as you would be in a regular lounge.

Small tables line the main wall, underneath the mural depicting the process of tequila-making.

La Cava Seating

La Cava Seating

You can also choose to stand if you so desire…

La Cava Standing Table

La Cava Standing Table

And while this little haven truly has its own distinct feel, it’s not without some of that famous Disney detail.

Backs of chairs

Backs of chairs

La Cava decor

La Cava decor

You might just catch a bit of whimsy on your visit, too ;). They brought Margarito out of hiding for us to enjoy. See a video here.

La Cava buddy

Margarito de La Cava

That’s the feeling in a nutshell, but we’re here for the tequila. And the experts at La Cava wouldn’t have it any other way…

Eats

The La Cava menu is full of dozens of blanco, reposado, and anejo tequilas; specialty margaritas; Mezcal; flights; infused tequilas; and other drinks. On this visit, we enjoyed a cocktail we love, and sampled some new-to-us drinks as well.

Here’s a (bad) pic of the menu of specialty margaritas. For the full menu, click here.

Specialty Margaritas

Specialty Margaritas

In the past, we’ve sampled and reviewed just about all of the specialty margaritas that cycle on and off the menu, including Passion Fruit, Avocado, Pineapple, Blood Orange, Jalapeno, Cucumber, Midnight Blue, Coffee, and the Skinny Margarita (you can see many of these reviews here, and here). This time, we went back to the Avocado Margarita, which was my first surprise — and my first favorite — at La Cava.

The rundown remains the same: tequila, melon liquor, and fresh avocado mixed with fresh lime juice and agave nectar syrup, served frozen with a hibiscus Himalayan salt rim. But the result is so creamy and refreshing that it still manages to surprise me.

Avocado Margarita

Avocado Margarita

Next? Okay, I’d mentioned that I was going to branch out a bit on this visit, so here we go… I hadn’t yet tried the Horchata Margarita: Horchata cream rum, Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey, “agua de Horchata” (Horchata is a rice milk), and tequila, all topped with cinnamon powder.

Horchata Margarita

Horchata Margarita

The first words out of my mouth after tasting this drink were, “It tastes like Christmas.” Like creamy, cinnamon-y Christmas on the rocks! I’m not a sweet drinks fan, so this isn’t one I’d order often PERSONALLY; but if you love all things Egg Nog, Bailey’s Irish Cream, etc, you’re going to really enjoy this one.

This was also my first time trying the Mexican Sangria. All the fruitiness you love in a red wine sangria laced with orange liquor, with a bit of an edge thanks to the addition of… what else? Tequila! So pretty, right?

Sangria

Sangria

This might provide an easy transition into the world of tequila for the strictly-wine folks out there.

Of course, you can’t say you’ve been to the House of Tequila without sampling some of it straight. I had a little splash of anejo in my own personalized glass. (This was my first time trying out my glass! So fun! You can find out more about the personalized glasses here.)

AJ Glass

AJ Glass

Now, how can you improve upon specialty margaritas? By adding a serving of chips and guacamole, salsa, and some of that ridiculous La Cava queso.

Trio Combo -- Salsa, Guac, Queso, and Chips

Trio Combo — Salsa, Guac, Queso, and Chips

Finally, I’m adding one more to my list of new experiences at La Cava. This time, I’m not leaving without dessert.

That’s right, I had a chance to sample the Dessert Flight: a selection of five dessert liqueurs ranging in flavors from spicy and fruity to creamy and chocolaty.  After all, what’s a birthday party without a little something sweet?

Liqueur Flight

Liqueur Flight

Included were Agavero, a blend of aged tequila and the Damiana flower; Rumchata, a creamy rum drink; 1921 Cream, the Mexican version of Bailey’s featuring coffee and cream flavors; Patron Cafe Cocoa, tequila with coffee and cocoa; and Almond Ultimo Agave, tequila infused with almond flavor.

La Cava "Dessert Flight"

La Cava “Dessert Flight”

I was happily surprised by how flavorful and distinctive each of these were. My favorites were the 1921 Cream and the Almond Ultimo Agave. Definitely a good way to end an evening of apps and drinks, and fun to share!

Oh, and for those who are interested, here’s a fun event the team at La Cava (and the other Mexican eateries in Disney World) are putting on soon.

Cava del Tequila event

Overall

Fantastic beverages, killer queso, comfortable vibe, expert staff… it all adds up to a high-quality hangout in the heart of Epcot. Five years in, and they just keep adding creative and fun options to something that was already pretty awesome straight out of the gate. So, a huge thanks and Happy Birthday to La Cava del Tequila! Here’s to many more great times within your walls!

Have you had a chance to enjoy La Cava del Tequila? Please let us know with a comment!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

Related posts:

1. Coming Soon?? Personalized Glasses at La Cava del Tequila in Epcot’s Mexico Pavilion
  2. La Cava del Tequila Appetizer Menu Update
  3. Chips and Queso “To Go” at La Cava del Tequila

View the full article