Review: Pomegranate Lime Frozen Mojito and Empanadas at La Cantina in Epcot’s Mexico Pavilion

Disney4me

Happy NATIONAL MOJITO DAY, EVERYONE!! OK, I’ll be honest. We’d PLANNED to share this post with you on the ACTUAL National Mojito Day, but a big news item came up and we had to bump it. So this is our STAND-IN National Mojito Day. I hope that works for you. :-D

Still, crazy how time flies, isn’t it? I remember last Mojito Day like it was yesterday! It feels like I was just putting up my Mojito Tree, baking mojito cookies and singing all my favorite mojito carols…

Oh, wait, was that just me?

Anyway, on this day as we gather with family and friends to celebrate Mojitos all around the world ;), we thought we’d show you a mojito in Epcot’s Mexico Pavilion that has more than a bit of a twist… the Pomegranate Lime Frozen Mojito found at La Cantina de San Angel.

La Cantina Sign

La Cantina Sign

La Cantina Drink Menu

La Cantina Drink Menu

The drink serving is huge – it fills every inch of the glass and beyond, as you can see. (At $11.50, I should hope so.)  As a bonus, it’s also looks terrific!

Frozen Pomegranate Lime Mojito

Frozen Pomegranate Lime Mojito

A traditional Mojito is a mix of fresh mint, lime, club soda, sugar, and white rum on the rocks. The Pomegranate Lime Frozen Mojito has… well, it’s got lime :) . And pomegranate!

Tequila – as opposed to rum – is the featured liquor here, and I can’t say I picked up one hint of mint. What I did pick up on was a refreshing blast of cold, fruity sweetness nicely balanced by the tart lime.

Pomegranate Lime Frozen Mojito

Pomegranate Lime Frozen Mojito

For all my joking about Mojito Day traditions, I’m actually not a huge mojito fan myself, so this version is far more up my alley.

You know what goes well with a tart-and-sweet beverage like this? Something

salty. Better yet, something salty and cheesy… I paired mine with the Empanada de Queso (cheese empanadas).

La Catina Entrees

La Catina Entrees

I mean, it’s melted cheese in fried dough… what more could you want?

Cheese Empanadas at La Cantina de San Angel

Cheese Empanadas at La Cantina de San Angel

As the menu mentions, the empanadas are topped with green sauce, queso, and Mexican cream. While the description makes it sound like it will be swimming in sauce, it’s really just a touch to add a nice bit of extra flavor.

Inside Cheese Empanadas

Inside Cheese Empanadas

I also got a side of refried beans. If you haven’t had the refried beans at La Cantina, they’re a little different from what you might expect, since they are refried black beans. I used the beans as a dip for my chips. But the serving remained largely untouched since the portion was huge, especially when served with an already rich entrée.

Beans

Beans

All in all, my meal was a nice mix of traditional cuisine and something unique and unexpected — a combo you can really aim for in any World Showcase Pavilion.

Until next time, adios from the Mexico Pavilion! Oh, and a Happy (belated) National Mojito Day to you and yours ;) !

epcotsnacks_miniguide_3d-350x371.jpg

Want Even More Epcot Snack Details?

Let’s face it: snacks are a big deal during your Disney vacation. And we’ve got all the info you need to get the biggest bang for your buck! The DFB Guide to Epcot Snacks e-Book, 2014 Edition helps you to make the most out of your trip.

Our fully guaranteed, convenient e-Book format is available for instant download and use on any mobile device, so you’ll be able to enjoy it immediately!

Inside the DFB Guide to Epcot Snacks e-Book you’ll find full-color photos and reviews of over 250 of our favorite Epcot snacks, pricing and dining plan info, bonus items, and more!

And for a limited time only, we’re thanking you for supporting this blog by offering the Guide for a $3 discount! To secure the discount, use code Epcot2014 at check-out.

And all of our DFB Guides come with a 100% money back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose!

Would you like to try the Pomegranate Lime Frozen Mojito? Please let us know with a comment!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

Related posts:

1. Review: Crispy Fried Shrimp and Bacardi Frozen Mojito at Epcot’s Refreshment Port
  2. Review: Epcot’s Mexico Pavilion Margarita Stand
  3. News! Epcot’s Mexico Pavilion Celebrates Cinco de Mayo with Special Menu Items

View the full article