Review: Cheesy Bread Cones at Fantasmic! in Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Disney4me

Have you ever found yourself in this scenario: sitting in the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater, waiting for Fantasmic! – the nighttime spectacular at Disney’s Hollywood Studios — to begin?

Amphitheater seating for Fantasmic!

Amphitheater seating waiting for Fantasmic!

If you are planning to see Fantasmic! (the official show title has an explanation point in the name, which moving forward I’ll omit for your ease of reading :), you should know that it’s best to arrive well before show time, especially if you are attending the first show of the evening.

So, what should you do in the meantime? Aside form join in The Wave, of course… which you can — and should — do.

Here comes The Wave!!

Here comes The Wave!!

But when you’re not Wave-ing, you might as well eat! Fortunately, there are oodles of opportunities around the amphitheater to do just that.

Prior to moving directly into the amphitheater, there are a couple of stands serving up snacks such as Mickey ice cream bars, roasted nuts, frozen lemonade cups, churros, Mickey pretzels, and the like.

Snack kiosks outside of amphitheater

Snack kiosks outside of amphitheater

Cast Members also wander the outside and inside of the amphitheater right up until show time, carrying items like popcorn and cotton candy, which somehow adds to the festive vibe.

Popcorn

Popcorn

Cotton Candy

Cotton Candy

Once you head into the amphitheater, there are two large concession stands in the back, both by the name of Hollywood Hills Amphitheater Refreshment. They have the same menu, so you can just head to the one closest to where you are seated.

Hollywood Hills Amphitheater Refreshments

You’ll find an extended menu from what you’ll see in the outer snacks stands, and on this visit, my husband and I decided to try something we hadn’t previously: the Bread Cones, which come in your choice of Fiesta Chili-Cheese or Macaroni and Cheese.

Concessions Menu

Concessions Menu

Bread Cone dishes have been a huge hit in Disneyland ever since they made their debut in Cars Land at Cozy Cone Motel. But the Bread Cones at Fantasmic are noteworthy because this is the only place you can find them at Disney World currently. Previously you could grab them at Min & Bill’s Dockside Diner and Marketplace Snacks (a snack kiosk in Downtown Disney), but that’s no longer the case.

Ever since I realized they have them here, I’ve had my eye on the Macaroni and Cheese Bread Cone.

Macaroni and Cheese Bread Cone

It’s presented to you in a medium-size drink cup, and this really helps it feel more secure when you’re weaving through a lot of people back to your seat. It’s also helpful since typically each party designates a “snack runner” while someone else holds the bench :).

The “with chips” mentioned on the menu are a bag of Lay’s Potato Chips.

Macaroni and Cheese Bread Cone and Chips

Macaroni and Cheese Bread Cone and Chips

When I removed the cone from its cup, I was really surprised by the portion. I don’t know if it comes across in the picture, but this thing is pretty huge!

I should mention that the Cast Member checked to be sure I wanted bacon on it when I placed my order. If I recall correctly, my answer was, “Yes, please. Woo!” (I’m not kidding. Sometimes I lose all sense of decorum when it comes to bacon.)

Bacon on the top. Woo!

Bacon on the top. Woo!

The cone was full-to-overflowing with all sorts of Disney mac-and-cheese goodness. Perfectly ooey, gooey, and cheesy, and that bacon pile from the top dispersed well throughout.

Macaroni and Cheese

Macaroni and Cheese

Several bites in

Several bites in

Loved. It.

My husband chose the Fiesta Chili-Cheese Bread Cone.

Fiesta Chili-Cheese Bread Cone

He thought the chili was full of flavor flavor and enjoyed the mild spice, and really liked the addition of the jalapenos on top even more than he thought he would.

The chili isn’t just meat – you can spy and taste the beans and corn in there. And, of course, it’s all topped with melting cheese.

Chili inside the cone

Chili inside the cone

Chili inside the cone

Chili inside the cone

While I loved my Mac and Cheese, we both thought the bread itself paired more naturally with the chili. As he tore through it, it was terrific when dipped into the chili, like a chip.

Regarding both dishes, the cones were exactly the same – the bread was soft and pliable, while still being sturdy and thick enough to hold everything inside without worry of food or sauce leakage.

"Inside" the bread cone

“Inside” the bread cone

We held one up from the bottom so you could check it out.

Bread Cone

Bread Cone

Also, both bread cone dishes were seriously hearty. I didn’t walk into Fantasmic expecting a stick-to-your-ribs meal, but that’s what I ended up with.

My husband made a good point, though: while we were both surprised at how much we enjoyed our bread cones, he labeled them as “somewhat climate inappropriate” for an August evening. Basically, you’re downing chili or hot mac while evening temps can still hover in the 80s. But he also shared that he would absolutely get this again on any one of those picture-perfect nights during the cooler months.

Once we finished snapping pictures, it was time to bring what we had left to enjoy in the amphitheater while we waited for the show to begin. I learned something on the evening of our visit: I’m not talented at pyrotechnic photography ;).

But I’d still like to try to bring a little “Fantasmic” to your day (I! LOVE! THIS! SHOW!), so here are a few of my attempts. If you’ve never seen Fantasmic and don’t want to know anything before you see it with your own eyes, you should stop scrolling now :) .

Fantasmic!

Fantasmic!

Fantasmic!

Fantasmic!

Fantasmic!

Fantasmic!

My very favorite part is when the boat with about 9 million of our closest Disney pals appears as if from nowhere, captained by Steamboat Willie himself!

Fantasmic! Boat

Fantasmic! Boat

Fantasmic! Boat

Fantasmic! Boat

Fantasmic! Boat

Fantasmic! Boat

Mickey in Fantasmic!

Mickey in Fantasmic!

Thanks again, Mickey, for saving the day :) ! You’re the TOPS!

Would you like to enjoy a Bread Cone while watching Fantasmic? Please let us know with a comment!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

Related posts:

1. The Fantasmic! Picnic Package Returns to Disney’s Hollywood Studios for a Limited Time
  2. Tables in Wonderland May Event: Fantasmic! Dessert Party at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
  3. Review: Hollywood Scoops at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

View the full article