Review: Hummus with Vegetables and Pita at Mr. Kamal’s in Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Disney4me

On the pathway from Africa to Asia in Disney’s Animal Kingdom stand two unmarked kiosks that are definite gems for those searching for vegetarian fare, or even just a nice change of pace: Mr. Kamal’s and Bradley Falls.

Today, we’re paying a visit to Mr.Kamal’s (and, since Bradley Falls is open seasonally for peak crowds, Mr. Kamal’s is typically your best bet).

Of course, we’ve visited Mr. Kamal’s before, most recently after it changed to its current vegetarian menu. We sampled the Falafel Sandwich and Samosas, and were impressed with the Asian Noodle Salad as well.

Still, there was one item we’d yet to try at Mr. Kamal’s – the Hummus with Vegetables and Pita. You can pretty much figure out exactly what’s coming to you from the name :).

Mr. Kamal's menu

Mr. Kamal’s menu

Hummus with Veggies and Pita

(By the way, if the menu is missing the Asian Noodle Salad or Edamame on your visit, just make a very short trip across the street to Bradley Falls. It picks up those items from the menu when it’s open.)

The presentation is simple, as are the flavors. The olive-garnished hummus is accompanied by pita bread, carrots, and celery.  I appreciated the handy carry-along box, since it can take some time to find seating in this area.

The chickpea hummus is flavored with garlic, as you’d likely expect.

Hummus

Hummus

The pitas are your basic mini pita circles. (Does anyone else call them “Pita Pillows”?)

Pita

Pita

I made little hummus sandwiches from mine :).

Hummus sammy!

Hummus sammy!

And, yes, I ate my veggiesaren’t you proud, Mom?

Carrot with hummus

Carrot with hummus

Even though everything here is fairly basic doesn’t mean I thought it was boring. I don’t know what kind of amped up refrigerator they have tucked in this tiny kiosk, but my package was so well chilled that it elevated what could have been a very plain snack (or even a light lunch) to something entirely refreshing. Nothing ever got lukewarm even in the summer heat, and the end result was that I enjoyed this dish a lot more than I expected.

My top choice at Mr. Kamal’s remains the Samosa, but if the summer Florida heat sometimes affects what you find appetizing, this is a great option to have something simple and light, as well as filling, fresh, and cold. It definitely helped put some pep back in my step, and it may do the same for you.

Do you have a go-to snack at Mr. Kamal’s or Bradley Falls? Please let us know with a comment!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

Related posts:

1. Review! New Vegetarian Fare and Allergy Kiosk at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
  2. Top 5 Restaurants at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park
  3. Guest Review: New Quick-Service Eats at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

View the full article