News! And Review: Waffle Fry Menu Debuts at Magic Kingdom’s Golden Oak Outpost

Disney4me

The next time you’re stepping into the Wild West of Magic Kingdom’s Frontierland, you simply MUST mosey on up to Golden Oak Outpost.

Not exactly what you’d expect to hear, I know, seeing as the Outpost typically featured a fairly simple menu of items like Chicken Sandwiches, Chicken Breast Nuggets, and fries made to feed hungry cowpokes who don’t feel like facing the lines at Pecos Bill’s.

But not anymore! Golden Oak Outpost just received yet another menu revamp.

They’ve introduced not two, not three, but FOUR variations of over-the-top, loaded-up Waffle Fries! We tried them ALL. And one of them is awfully close to the Figaro Fries of yore…

Golden Oak Outpost

Golden Oak Outpost

New Golden Oak Outpost Menu

New Golden Oak Outpost Menu

So join us on a veritable FRY FEAST, friends! And we’re not going to make you wait to see what the Figaro fuss is about…

BLT Waffle Fries

We’re starting with the BLT Waffle Fries. Just like the sandwich it’s named after, you’re looking at bacon, lettuce, and tomato, with the addition of Ranch dressing.

BLT Waffle Fries

BLT Waffle Fries

BLT Waffle Fries

BLT Waffle Fries

You can barely spy a fry at first for all that BACON!! And this is the good stuff – nice and crispy. None of that wimpy, soggy bacon here. The ample amount of Ranch dressing oozes nicely over the whole batch, and the lettuce and tomato add variation to the texture.

And, yes, as you can now tell, there are indeed waffle fries underneath it all, ready to fulfill their yummy, starchy, potato-y destiny!

BLT Waffle Fries underneath toppings

BLT Waffle Fries underneath toppings

BLT Waffle Fry

BLT Waffle Fry

So. ARE these Figaro Fries given a second life?! Not exactly. No cheese here. And, obviously, these are waffle fries as opposed to regular. But it’s as close as we’re gonna get for now, and I — for one — will take it!

Brown Gravy and Cheese Waffle Fries

Next up: Brown Gravy and Cheese Waffle Fries. Oh, my word… it’s Poutine in Magic Kingdom, y’all!

Our Canadian friends can verify whether or not I’m correct on that assessment, since I’ve never had real poutine in real Canada, sadly. But in a nutshell (or on a fry), this batch is topped with brown gravy and white cheddar cheese curds.

Brown Gravy and Cheese Fries

Brown Gravy and Cheese Fries

CURDS!!!!

Curd closeup!

Curd closeup!

Gravy. And. Cheese. What more can be said? This is one step up from my beloved Gravy Fries at Everything Pop Food Court. (I still love you, Gravy Fries. You know that, right?)

Brown Gravy and Cheese Fry

Brown Gravy and Cheese Fry

(By the way, all of these Waffle Fries are totally fork-and-knife operations — I just held them to show you at a better angle. Grab those utensils, folks!)

Because one of the main ingredients is gravy, this topping variation doesn’t have the mile-high-pile factor that the others do. Don’t let that discourage you. All of that gravy seeps to the bottom of your tray in a pile of cheesy gravy deliciousness. Plus, it’s quite filling.

But if you’re looking for the most filling option, you’ll want to turn your attention to these…

Barbecue Pork Waffle Fries

Topped with barbecue pork and coleslaw, The Barbecue Pork Waffle Fries are highly reminiscent of the Barbecue Slaw Dog found at Casey’s Corner and Fairfax Fare.

Pork Barbecue Waffle Fries

It’s that mildly spicy-yet-tangy combo that – as it turns out – works every bit as well on a fry as on a hot dog!

The portion here is what is most remarkable, though. It’s one of those the-more-you-eat-the-more-seems-to-appear-on-the-plate deals.

Pile of pork!

Pile of pork!

Pork Barbeque Waffle Fry

Pork Barbeque Waffle Fry

Since it is so similar to the Barbecue Slaw Dog, this one was the least intriguing to me; but it is still an impressive snack that could easily serve as a meal. Plus, for those less into the whole meat-topped-meat thing, this could be your chance to try this fun flavor combo.

Tex-Mex Waffle Fries

Last – but not least – we bring you Tex-Mex Waffle Fries. Toppings here include salsa, “warm cheddar” (plastic cheese!!), and a black bean and cucumber relish.

Tex-Mex Waffle Fries

Tex-Mex Waffle Fries

And the jalapenos on top didn’t come to play – they delivered a serious kick. At first, I didn’t catch it much. But then the heat built up nice and quick.

Jalapenos on top

Jalapenos on top

I thought the huge amount of salsa made these a bit too soupy.

Tex-Mex Waffle Fries

Tex-Mex Waffle Fries

I’d prefer more of that cheese, and less of the salsa. In general, the flavors came together well – especially with the heat from the jalapeno — but this was my least favorite variation from a texture perspective.

Overall

I liked the BLT and Brown Gravy and Cheese fries the best. But really, this whole menu revamp comes together like the most awesome potato bar ever. Way to step it up, Golden Oak Outpost!

I recommend grabbing your traveling companions – along with some forks, knives, and napkins – and hosting an impromptu Waffle Fry Tasting Party in the heart of Frontierland to try to pick your favorite. The choice won’t be easy, believe me!

How would you order up your Waffle Fries? Please let us know with a comment!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

Related posts:

1. News and Review: Corn Nuggets at Golden Oak Outpost in Disney World’s Magic Kingdom
  2. Review: Golden Oak Outpost in Magic Kingdom’s Frontierland
  3. Review: Nutella Waffle Sandwich in Magic Kingdom Park

View the full article