Snack Series: The Macarons Collection from Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie in Epcot’s France

Disney4me

We’re headed back for more macarons! Ready?

We’re on our way to that lovely spot where you can get house-made ice cream, mimosas at 9AM, frangipane, and more – Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie in the France Pavilion of Disney World’s Epcot.

This spot underwent an enormous expansion a while back. And while there are things that we miss about the old bakery, on the whole it’s been a terrific success!

Not only do we have the amazing new L’Artisan des Glaces to tempt us, but the expanded bakery and pastry outlet means that you can enjoy a full meal.

Or you can continue to stop by for a treat between meals. :-)

Box -- Up Close

Box of Deliciousness

And that’s what we’re doing today as I finally get to sample a treat that’s part pastry and part art.

The Macarons Collection

On my recent visit to Walt Disney World, I knew I had to carve out some time to visit Les Halles for one reason: I had to try The Macarons Collection for myself.

They come packaged in this awesome little box — perfect for taking and enjoying one or two while strolling around World Showcase, and saving the rest for later. The packaging also makes for a great take home treat for you or a loved one — if you can stay out of them on the plane ride/car trip home. (Good luck with that.)

Box of Macarons from Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie

The Macarons Collection from Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie

Open the lid, and you see the assortment of beautiful colors that make up your gift box of goodies.

Under the Lid

Under the Lid

And I’m not kidding about these sweet little treats being as much fine art as culinary art. Just look at them!

Now, here’s where we need to talk. Because some of you out there may be tempted to dismiss macarons as frivolous, tasteless, silly little things.

All the Pretty Flavors!

All the Pretty Flavors!

That would be a mistake. Yes, several of them are beautifully dyed to suggest the flavors that hide inside. But they’re still delicious.

Let’s take a closer look at the Chocolate Macaron. The “cookie” portion of the little sandwich is just what you would want it to be — a chewy, slightly moist mixture of egg whites, sugar, nuts, and in this case, chocolate. Basically, it’s a baked nut meringue, if you’re looking for a way to wrap your mind around the picture.

Chocolate Macaron -- Up Close

Chocolate Macaron — Up Close

But the inside is where the poetry is. That little disk of flavor right there is like a stiff ganache. So you basically have a truffle married with a cookie. This one just melts in your mouth.

Macaron -- A Peek at the Filling

Macaron — A Peek at the Filling

Chewy and rich, macarons always surprise me with just how wonderful they are. I mean, they just look like little sandwich cookies! But somehow, they are so much more than the sum of their parts.

Chocolate Macaron -- Cross Section

Chocolate Macaron — Cross Section

And I don’t even like meringue! How do they accomplish this? Ah, the French and their magical culinary ways. :-)

The pricetag on this one is a little steep — the box of 6 will set you back just over $10, and the macarons themselves are fairly small — but they’re made fresh in house, and they’re honestly outstanding. So if you’re a macaron lover and you don’t want to roll up your sleeves and make some yourself (and really, making 6 different kinds would take a LOT of time), give them a try. It’s the perfect treat to nosh on while you enjoy this little corner of France, tucked into Disney.

Don’t Miss Out on the Best Snacks in Epcot!

Epcot is a snack lovers dream! Where else can you find delicious dishes from all four corners of the world, all gathered in one spot for your snacking pleasure?

epcotsnacks_miniguide_3d

But with so many choices, deciding what to spend your dollars, calories, and snack credits on can become challenging.

And that is precisely why we came up with The DFB Guide to Epcot Snacks e-Book, 2014 Edition!

With over 290 pages of information and advice on over 200 delicious snacks, you can see at a glance all the best that Epcot has to offer. And with our convenient PDF format, there’s no waiting — download your copy right now and start planning!

We’ve updated our detailed snack guide to help you find the best eats (and treats!) in Walt Disney World’s Epcot. You’ll see some of your old favorites as well as some snacks that you might have missed. We’ve kept most of the snacks in the $1-5 range, but there are a few big spenders in there. (Yep, that turkey leg or frozen mojito is gonna cost you!)

Don’t forget — for easy access in the parks, put the guide on your smartphone or iPad! Don’t forget to use code Epcot14 for a discount!

Will you be trying the Macarons Collection the next time you stroll through the France Pavilion? Let us know if you enjoy these gem-like treats!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

Related posts:

1. Review: The New Napoleon at Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie in Epcot’s France
  2. Review: A Lunch Stop at Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie in Epcot’s France
  3. Snack Series: Raspberry Macarons at Epcot’s France

View the full article