Review: Lunch at Crystal Palace in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom

Disney4me

Welp, boys and girls — it’s time to head into Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom and take in lunch at Crystal Palace! This is a beloved character spot for many Disney fans, and a must-do character experience for lots of you.

Me? I hadn’t been to Crystal Palace in foreva…not since an ill-fated late-night visit a couple of years ago when the food was AW-FUL! Yep, it was the end-of-the-night dregs of the buffet and we were pretty much just grossed out. (Have you ever seen a buffet about 15 minutes before a restaurant is about to close? Not pretty.) We ate very little and left as soon as we could. Sad, since we do love dining with Pooh and friends.

But it was time to revisit the 100 Hundred Acre Wood — after all, we’d had lots of great meals here previously — and I made reservations with some friends for lunch.

We have tons of shots to show you, so let’s get started!

Atmosphere

You’ll find Crystal Palace to the left of Main Street USA’s end, just as you approach Cinderella Castle. The beautiful glass building, inspired by ornate conservatories of the late Victorian Age, is a slice of Disney history as well. The restaurant has been around since opening day in 1971.

Entrance to Restaurant

Entrance to Restaurant

And here’s a tip if you’re looking for an extra-special experience during your Disney vacation: try and book Crystal Palace for an early breakfast. You’ll be one of the first guests into the Park when you do this, and visiting a nearly empty Magic Kingdom is an event to remember.

Once you step inside, you’ll see whitewashed walls that carry the bright, light decor throughout. Artwork depicting inspiration for the architecture as well as photos of lush palms cover the walls.

Artwork and Framed Photos

Artwork and Framed Photos

The soaring atrium above is gorgeous — especially on a sunny day!

Crystal Palace Atrium

Crystal Palace Atrium

After you check in, you’ll wait for your table outside on the shaded veranda. But once you step in, pause a moment to take it all in.

Dining Rooms

Dining Rooms

Tons of windows and glass domes allow for plenty of natural light in the two dining areas.

Dining Room from Another Angle

Dining Room from Another Angle

And really — look up. Because the windows are really stunning. I love the beautiful stained glass detail.

Stained Glass Windows

Stained Glass Windows

The decor puts you in mind of a Victorian conservatory, with its outside-but-inside feel. Lush flowers and what reminds me of patio furniture finish the area.

Evening Light

Afternoon Light

Crystal Palace is, of course, a character dining experience, and you’ve stumbled onto a party!

Center Atrium -- Up Close

Center Atrium — Up Close

In fact, visit here, and you’ll take part in a Friendship Day Celebration with Winnie the Pooh and his friends.

Banner -- Up Close

It’s Friendship Day!

Just check out these gorgeous flower topiaries of the whole gang!

Pooh and His Hunny Pot

Pooh and His Hunny Pot

Eeyore Topiary

Eeyore Topiary

The sweet little figures appear to be made of dried roses, and foreshadow the characters you’ll meet while you dine.

Piglet Topiary

Piglet Topiary

Bouncing Tigger Topiary

Bouncing Tigger Topiary

And beautiful hanging arrangements of tropical flowers complete the classic conservatory feel.

Fresh Flowers

Fresh Flowers

Seating is standard and fairly comfortable. Heavy, padded chairs share the space with booths, but some tables are situated a bit too closely for our comfort.

Seating for Two

Seating for Two

Seating along windows gives you a glimpse of guests waiting to be seated! But beyond them, you’ll also see a beautiful view of Cinderella Castle as you dine.

Seating

Seating

And look! Real napkins! You may need those when the celebrations begin. ;-)

Seating -- Up Close

Seating — Up Close

Crystal Palace is an all-you-care-to-enjoy buffet set up. All-American flavors are the feature here.

Buffet

Buffet

During morning hours, the central area of the buffet plays host to an omelet station. At lunch and dinner, you’ll find Rotisserie Meats, hand carved while you wait.

Both sides of the main buffet are mirror images of one another, so don’t worry about missing anything; if you hit one side, you’ve seen everything.

Close Up of Buffet Area

Close Up of Buffet Area

There are also several dessert offerings. Save room for a sweet ending to your meal!

Dessert Buffet

Dessert Buffet

And you know that meats on the Carving Station are fresh, because you can see them prepared right before your eyes!

Spit Fire at the Carving Station

Spit-Fired Meats Are Prepared Behind the Carving Station

Now that we’ve looked around a bit, let’s meet the company you’ll be keeping.

Characters

As we’ve seen, you won’t find Mickey or Princesses here. But you’ll find a gang of classic characters that fit into the vintage setting perfectly — Winnie the Pooh and some of his friends from Hundred Acre Wood.

Now, Crystal Palace is a pretty busy place, and the four characters are kept active making rounds in the two seating areas. So be prepared with cameras and autograph books! It usually takes about an hour to see everyone.

Seating and Character Interaction

Seating and Character Interaction

There’s Pooh Bear, all stuffed with fluff!

Winnie the Pooh...

Winnie the Pooh…

And everyone’s favorite extrovert, Tigger!

And Tigger Tooooo!

…And Tigger Tooooo!

Since Tigger’s never met a stranger, you’re guaranteed some pretty awesome shots with this guy. :-)

Tigger

And Tigger…

Tigger, Mugging for the Camera!

Tigger, Mugging for the Camera!

Eeyore could probably be prevailed upon for a hug or two as well. He’s so cuddly!

Eyeore

Eeyore

Eeyore

Eeyore

And then there’s sweet little Piglet! (Well, he’s kind of giant version of the little guy. But you know.)

Piglet

Piglet

Periodically during your meal, characters will lead a fun parade through the restaurant. Encourage little ones to join in the fun! It’s a great photo op.

Piglet -- So Cute!

Piglet Leading the Parade!

And here’s where those napkins may come in handy…there may be twirling involved.

Eats

Disney buffets are extensive affairs with lots of choices! To break it up and make sense of it all, we’ve organized things into groups. Time to take a tour of your food choices!

The traditional American menu features plenty of familiar choices, but you’ll also find some unique items to spice things up a bit.

Breads and Salads

Start with a selection of breads, like Yeast Rolls, Multigrain Rolls, and Cornbread flavored with Jalapeno. (Sorry, no regular cornbread. I was sad to find this out, as I’m not a huge jalepeno cornbread fan.)

Yeast Rolls with Butter

Yeast Rolls with Butter

Multigrain Rolls

Multigrain Rolls

Jalapeño Cornbread

Jalapeño Cornbread

And then you’re off to sample a selection of cold dishes. There are Deli Meats and Cheeses as well as Butter for your bread. For purists, there are plain Apple Slices and Carrots, and you can add a Pickle to your plate, too.

Once you pass those selections you’ll find a large variety of prepared Salads.

Deli Cheese and Meats, Butter, Apples and Carrots, Pickles, and Salads

Cheese, Butter, Apples and Carrots, Pickles, and Moroccan Couscous Salad and Edamame Salad

The day we visited, lots of international flavor was on display. We found Moroccan Couscous Salad, Edamame Salad, Tomato and Mozzarella Salad, Cucumber Salad, Mediterranean Pasta Salad, Roasted Beet Salad with Arugula.

Salads

Morocco Couscous Salad, Edamame Salad, Tomato and Mozzarella Salad, Cucumber Salad, Mediterranean Pasta Salad, Roasted Beet Salad with Arugula

You’ll also find Mixed Fruit.

More Salads

Mixed Fruit and Other Salads

Down a little further, you can choose from Green and Caesar Salads as well.

Lettuce, Caesar Salads, and Other Salads

Lettuce, Caesar Salads, Other Salads, and Salad Toppings

Toppings and Dressings round out the offerings.

Sides and Vegetables

Next we’ll move on to Sides and Veggies!

Like most buffets at Disney, Crystal Palace does have a few signature standout dishes that you should try if possible. At breakfast, it’s the Breakfast Lasagna that garners rave reviews. And at lunch and dinner, be sure to try the Fire Roasted Corn Spoon Bread. It’s similar to dressing/stuffing, with a slightly sweet flavor.

Fire Roasted Corn Spoonbread

Fire Roasted Corn Spoonbread

The Stir Fry Vegetables with Rice Noodles would make a hearty vegetarian option.

Stir Fry Vegetables with Rice Noodles

Stir Fry Vegetables with Rice Noodles

Creamy, fluffy Mashed Potatoes are always a welcome menu item. These are sort of rustic, with a few lumps and peels, proving they’re the real deal. And they don’t skimp on the butter, either!

Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes

Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes

We also spied plain Basmati Rice.

Basmati Rice

Basmati Rice

Healthy Broccoli gets an extra boost of flavor from Roasted Garlic Oil.

Broccoli with Roasted Garlic Oil

Broccoli with Roasted Garlic Oil

And Sauteed Green Beans are bright and slightly crunchy.

Sauteed Green Beans

Sauteed Green Beans

You can eat a full rainbow of colors here with Carrots too!

Sauteed Carrots

Sauteed Carrots

Pooh’s Corner Kids’ Menu Items

Every Disney buffet has a special section for kiddos, and Crystal Palace is no exception. Look no further than Pooh’s Corner for foods that will please the pickiest of palates.

The counter is also lower here — don’t you love that? — so kids can see the selections and help themselves.

Pooh's Corner -- Selections for the Kiddos

Pooh’s Corner — Selections for the Kiddos

And if you sneak and get some Macaroni and Cheese — well, we won’t judge.

Pooh's Corner -- Macaroni and Cheese

Pooh’s Corner — Macaroni and Cheese

There’s a selection of kid-pleasing veggies, like Corn and Peas.

Pooh's Corner Veggies --Corn and Peas

Pooh’s Corner Veggies –Corn and Peas

Meatballs with Marinara and Multigrain Pasta are also an option.

Pooh's Corner -- Multigrain Pasta with Meatballs

Pooh’s Corner — Multigrain Pasta with Meatballs

Corn Dog Nuggets come in a Turkey variety.

Pooh's Corner -- Turkey Corn Dog Nuggets -- Up Close

Pooh’s Corner — Turkey Corn Dog Nuggets

I assume this is part of Disney’s measure to provide healthier dining options.

Main Dishes and Meats

Beyond the bounty of side dishes, there are several main dishes to tempt you as well. We found Chipotle Pasta, a cream-based penne dish accented with Veggies.

Mediterranean Pasta Salad

Chipotle Pasta

Mediterranean Chicken takes its inspiration from the addition of Feta Cheese, Olive Oil, and Tomatoes.

Mediterranean Chicken with Feta and Tomatoes

Mediterranean Chicken with Feta and Tomatoes

For a completely different flavor profile, you’ll find German-inspired Sausages and Braised Red Cabbage.

Mixed Grilled Sausages with Braised Red Cabbage

Mixed Grilled Sausages with Braised Red Cabbage

Paella with Shrimp, Mussels, and Chicken is a hearty dish that’s Spanish-inspired.

Paella with Shrimp, Mussels, and Chicken

Paella with Shrimp, Mussels, and Chicken

In addition to the dishes that feature meat, there are also several standalone options.

For guests who prefer a more straightforward approach, there’s Roasted Chicken.

Roasted Chicken

Roasted Chicken

And would it be a Disney buffet without a bountiful supply of the World’s Best Chicken Nuggets?? I think not. :-)

Chicken Nuggets

Chicken Nuggets

There are condiments to complement your Nuggets — or anything else you find that needs embellishment!

Condiments -- Honey Mustard, Ketchup, and Barbecue Sauce

Condiments — Honey Mustard, Ketchup, and Barbecue Sauce

Fish lovers can choose from a couple of selections. Atlantic Salmon was finished with an Herb Topping during our meal.

Salmon

Salmon

Tilapia was topped with a Creamy Sauce and colorful Vegetables and Olives.

Tilapia

Tilapia

But the highlight of the buffet is always the Carving Station. Meats change up regularly, but we found Beef Strip Loin and Turkey Breast the day we visited.

Carving Station -- Strip Loin

Carving Station — Strip Loin

Strip Loin -- Up Close

Strip Loin — Up Close

Chunky Cranberry Sauce makes for a tangy, colorful touch!

Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry Sauce

Nothing says celebration like a meal that reminds me of the holidays!

Carving Station -- Roast Turkey

Carving Station — Roast Turkey

And who can resist Turkey and Cranberry Sauce any day of the year?

Desserts and Sweets

Are you still with me? Good! Because now it’s time to visit the Dessert Spread!

You’ll find a mixture of large desserts interspersed with individually-sized options. There’s always a Fruit Cobbler, and during our visit, Apple was the featured flavor. It’s nothing to write home about, but it serves as a decent stand in for a comfort food favorite, especially when you top it with a little Vanilla Soft Serve.

Apple Cobbler

Apple Cobbler

White Chocolate and Raspberry Bread Pudding is a super sweet take on this crowd pleaser. It’s doesn’t equal my favorite ‘Ohana version of the dessert, but if you enjoy extra rich and sugary desserts, give it a try.

White Chocolate and Raspberry Bread Pudding

White Chocolate and Raspberry Bread Pudding

We also spied Coconut Flan. I’m not a big fan of the flan/panna cotta genre of desserts — milk flavored jello just isn’t my thing — but kudos to Disney for providing something a little off the beaten path here.

Coconut Flan

Coconut Flan

Brownies and Cookies are a good go-to option, and are always fresh.

Brownies

Brownies

Cookies

Cookies

And you know I can’t pass on Key Lime Pie! This version offers no surprises, but that’s not a bad thing, right? And the little portions mean you can try a few other desserts as well…or just go back for more of these!

Key Lime Pie

Key Lime Pie

It’s the perfect two bites of sweet and tart. Crystal Palace tops theirs with Meringue. But I don’t hold that against them.

Key Lime Pie -- Up Close

Key Lime Pie — Up Close

Raspberry Tarts were the Sugar-Free Dessert offering the day we visited.

Sugar-Free Raspberry Tarts

Sugar-Free Raspberry Tarts

The Turtle Cheesecake Squares were impossible to resist!

Turtle Cheesecake

Turtle Cheesecake

Cheesecake meets Chocolate and Caramel? Sign me up!

Turtle Cheesecake -- Up Close

Turtle Cheesecake — Up Close

And hooray for never ending Soft Serve Ice Cream!

Soft Serve Ice Cream

Soft Serve Ice Cream

Choose from Vanilla, Chocolate, or swirl the two together!

Soft Serve Flavor Options -- Chocolate, Vanilla, or Chocolate and Vanilla Swirl

Soft Serve Flavor Options — Chocolate, Vanilla, or Chocolate and Vanilla Swirl

And of course, there are a variety of Sprinkles to dress things up a bit!

Ice Cream Sprinkles

Ice Cream Sprinkles

For me, the real brilliance of the soft serve offering is that you can add it all of the other desserts for the win!

Overall

Crystal Palace — what is there to say? You must. You must at least once.

And there are many reasons for that. To begin, there’s history. As much as I love new stuff, there’s that sense of nostalgia from dining in a spot that opened with Magic Kingdom. You remember gazing at this beautiful restaurant during every visit to the Park, just like I do. Eating here is as much a part of the Disney experience as donning Mickey Ears.

But add to that good food with varied offerings and interesting character interactions, and you have the makings of a beautiful tradition. Even though I had a bad food experience here on my last visit (now I know not to go to a buffet during the last 30 minutes that the restaurant is open), this lunch excursion has brought the restaurant back up in my opinion.

To be sure, it’s an expensive meal. And there are more interesting buffets at Disney. But there is a magic about Crystal Palace that is unrivaled. The combination of location, decor, and menu come together in a way that prevents it from feeling overrated. And don’t forget — if you’re here during Wishes and can grab a window table with a view of the castle, you’ve got an awesome vantage point!

If you haven’t dined at Crystal Palace, give it a try. And if you’re on the fence about an Advance Dining Reservation, well…I think you should go for it.

Is Crystal Palace one of your favorite Disney dining destinations? Leave a comment and tell us what you think!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

Related posts:

1. Guest Review: Crystal Palace Restaurant in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom
  2. Guest Review: Crystal Palace Breakfast in the Magic Kingdom
  3. Crystal Palace and Magic Kingdom Refurb Pics: 1/16

View the full article