Dining in Disneyland: New Treats at the Jolly Holiday Bakery

Disney4me

Spending some time at Disneyland?  Head on down Main Street USA and take a pit stop at Jolly Holiday.  There are some delicious new treats that have been recently added the bakery case.

Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe

Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe

Mary Poppins and her penguins have obviously been busy in the kitchen.  There are several new baked goods in the case, all which look practically perfect in every way.  Most of these new treats are fruity flavors, which are my biggest weakness. I’d choose fruity over chocolate any day (GASP, I know!)…  I ordered 5 different new treats and hope to go back soon for the ones I missed. But for now, here’s a little sampling of the new offerings.

New Treats in the Bakery Case

New Treats in the Bakery Case

Let’s start with the Mickey Macarons.  These were rumored to be hitting Disneyland quite some time ago and appear to be very different than the macarons featured at Walt Disney World.  (Note that in Disney World, the signage on these was Mickey “Macaroon”; yes, we’ve had the “macaroon vs. macaron” definition discussion on the food blog many times before and it just doesn’t seem to be consistent across the Disney parks ;-D.) I’m not sure why it took so long, but HERE THEY ARE!  Priced at $4.99, the Mickey Macarons are very generously sized.  As of now they come in two fruity flavors; Passion Fruit and Raspberry Rose.

The Passion Fruit Mickey Macaron was very sweet; passion fruit cream sandwiched between two super soft Mickey Macarons.  I love the metallic purple swipe across the top.  I know it’s just decorative, but I’m a sucker for shine and sparkle. Especially purple shine and sparkle AND especially when it’s edible!

Passion Fruit Mickey Macaron

Passion Fruit Mickey Macaroon

The Raspberry Rose Mickey Macaron was

my favorite of the two.  Mostly because the sour fresh raspberries balanced out the sweetness of the raspberry rose cream, but also because it’s just so pretty!!!  Honestly I didn’t really taste the hint of rose at all.  This one has a shiny golden swipe across the top. More sparkly food!

Raspberry Rose Mickey Macaron

Raspberry Rose Mickey Macaroon

The fresh raspberries on this treat were juicy and sour. Just perfect.

Side View with Fresh Raspberries

Side View with Fresh Raspberries

Next up we’ll check out the Banana Eclair.  Banana anything is my favorite and this was no exception.

The Banana Eclair at Jolly Holiday is one of the less expensive treats in the case.  However, it’s also generously sized.  The pastry is topped with banana creme and a layer of decorative chocolate.  It’s filled with banana pudding.  Definitely heavy on the banana flavor, but it doesn’t taste overly artificial.  The filling really reminded me of Jell-O Brand Banana Pudding, which I love.  If you aren’t big on bananas, skip this one. But if you are, for sure go for it!

Banana Eclair

Banana Eclair

The Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake was amazing.  At $5.19 it’s a little more expensive, but again, plenty large and oh so good!

The bundt cake was extremely moist, with pineapple baked right in.  The glaze on top was caramelized, crispy and sweet.  And that custard swirl you see? Surprise! It’s not just on top, but piped all the way down, filling the center of the bundt cake.  It’s vanilla flavored and topped with Maraschino cherry.  I tried this one on the spot and then brought the rest home. It tasted just as delicious the next day!

Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake

Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake

The final item of the day was the Blueberry Cheesecake.  I have to say, I am usually not a fan of Disneyland cheesecake. It almost always tastes more cafeteria, less bakery.  I’m not sure what Disney has done to up their game, but this cheesecake was totally on par.

The not so mini cake is $5.29 and perfect for 2 people to share.  We actually shared it with about 5 people, but then again, we had a whole lot of treats at the table.  The cheesecake was creamy, with buttery graham crust.  There was a layer of blueberry jam type pie filling on top of the bottom crust layer, which you can’t see in the photo.  The cheesecake was topped with whipped cream and a perfectly placed star burst of fresh juicy blueberries.  This treat was the biggest hit at the table.

Blueberry Cheesecake

Blueberry Cheesecake

Overall

Overall, the new items at Jolly Holiday are a fantastic addition to the bakery.  The refreshing variety of fruity flavors make for a perfect summer treat.  Other items that I hope to get back for soon are the Orange Creme Brulee and a Lemon Cake that looked fantastic.

Have you tried any of the new bakery items at Jolly Holiday?  Do you have a favorite?

Heather Sievers is the Disney Food Blog’s Dining in Disneyland columnist. See more of her columns here!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

Related posts:

1. Dining in Disneyland: FIRST LOOK! The Jolly Holiday Bakery
  2. Dining in Disneyland: Saying Goodbye to Blue Ribbon Bakery…and Hello to Jolly Holiday!
  3. Dining in Disneyland: Jolly Holiday Bakery Construction Update

View the full article