Review: New Samosas and Naan Dipping Safari at Namaste Café Food Truck in Downtown Disney

Disney4me

When the Namaste Café Food Truck made its debut in Downtown Disney’s West Side last November, we happily sampled the Butter Chicken (BUTTER CHICKEN!!!!!!!!!!), a favorite dish of ours from Sanaa.

The dishes at Namaste Café were chosen to reflect some of the best cuisine to be found in Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge, and I remember thinking, “Cool… now, if only we could get a little of Sanaa’s fabulous bread service, we’d be set.”

But I didn’t really think it would happen. I just didn’t think the setting was conducive to it.

Well, apparently I was wrong, because IT HAS ARRIVED… kind of! Introducing, the Namaste Café Samosas and Naan Dipping Safari!!

Namaste Cafe Menu

Namaste Cafe Menu

Samosas and Naan Dipping Safari on Menu

Samosas and Naan Dipping Safari on Menu

Now, we’re talkin’!!!

Before we “dip in,” I should let you know where I found Namaste Café, because the Food Trucks are still moving all around Downtown Disney as they await their ultimate destination in the upcoming Food Truck Park.  On this most recent visit, I found it right outside of the World of Disney Store in the Marketplace.

Namaste Cafe in the Marketplace

Namaste Cafe in the Marketplace

A few standing tables like this were propped nearby.

Standing Table

Standing Table

But there is some pretty great seating just across from World of Disney, right by the water.

Marketplace Outdoor Seating

Marketplace Outdoor Seating

I needed stronger shade for my photos, so I took my dish to some additional seating by the currently-under-refurbishment Margarita Bar.

Seating by Margarita Bar area

Seating by Margarita Bar area

No matter where you find your choice of the four Disney Food Trucks, it’s much easier to find some sort of table nearby, which is a big improvement over the early days.

Okay, that’s out of the way – back to the food! There are some pretty major differences from the official bread service, of course: at Sanaa, the service comes with your choice of three breads, and you select three from a variety of nine accompaniments (unless you choose to get all nine accompaniments at the Sanaa Lounge – Hello!!).

With the Dipping Safari, you receive two slices of Naan bread, two Samosas, and three pre-selected accompaniments.

Samosas and Naan Dipping Safari

Samosas and Naan Dipping Safari

On my visit, the dipping sauces included a Cucumber and Yogurt Raita, Hummus, and Coriander Chutney.

Cucumber Raita, hummus, and Coriander Chutney

Cucumber Raita, hummus, and Coriander Chutney

So, now that we’ve gone over the components, let’s break this down a little further, starting with those Samosas, which are the size of flippin’ baseballs!

Samosas

Samosas

Okay, so… no, they aren’t actually the size of a regulation MLB baseball ;) . But still, compared to the smaller ones I’m used to from Mr. Kamal’s and Tusker House, they’re huge! The filling is the same potato and pea mixture.

Inside the Samosa

Inside the Samosa

Potato and Pea filling

Potato and Pea filling

It is so nice to see a vegetarian option at the Disney Food Trucks; something that has really been lacking since they opened last year.

I found that these samosas were unusually spicy compared with those I’ve enjoyed before. Like many Disney foods prepared for a variety of palates, it wasn’t “blow you away” spicy, but it definitely had a real kick, which I loved — especially in this case, because I was able to cut the spice with the Cucumber and Yogurt Raita.

Cucumber Raita

Cucumber Raita

The coolness of the yogurt and cucumber along with the mild hint of mint was the perfect pairing with the heat of the samosa.

Samosa with Cucumber Raita

Samosa with Cucumber Raita

Honestly, this match was so great that I could’ve stopped right there. But since we are on a “safari,” there is more exploring to do… Next up, the hummus!

Hummus

Hummus

Really, it’s just a simple hummus. Which — if you like hummus — that’s not a bad thing at all! Cool and slightly garlicky (hooray!), I preferred this with the Naan bread.

Hummus with Naan

Hummus with Naan

The Naan here, you’ll notice, isn’t the pillow-y, bubbly Naan like you’ll find at Sanaa or Landscape of Flavors. It’s thin, but super soft, nicely charred, and I loved how mine came hot off the grill.

Two slices of Naan bread

Two slices of Naan bread

I remain impressed with the fresh quality I’ve experienced with every Food Truck dish I’ve had so far.

Finally, we have the Coriander Chutney.

Coriander Chutney

Coriander Chutney

I should note that, when I placed my order, the Cast Member asked if I wanted the Dipping Safari as it comes (which I did, so I could sample everything for you). So, it seems you can customize. If you’re not a fan of – oh, say cilantro, like AJ :) — you’ll want to lay off the Coriander Chutney.

I love the stuff, so I’m always happy with a big ‘ol pile of cilantro, garlic, and spice!

Naan with Coriander Chutney

Naan with Coriander Chutney

The consistency on this one, though, wasn’t what I’d hoped. No matter how I mixed it, the oil remained separated. I know Disney can do chutney, though, since this is similar to the excellent batch I sampled with the side of Naan at Landscape of Flavors, so I remain hopeful for this one in a future batch.

Whew! I gotta say, I was happily stuffed when it was all over! There is a LOT to this… oh, and I still haven’t mentioned the slaw! It’s the same mix of pickled cucumber, radish, golden beet, onion, and carrots that accompany the Butter Chicken and carries a crazy amount of kick. It was more of an afterthought in this dish for me — just a garnish, but I did like the option for even more spicy heat here.

Slaw garnish

Slaw garnish

Should you choose to go on your own Dipping Safari, may I make a suggestion? Consider bringing a mint along for after to counteract all this garlicky goodness… your traveling companions will appreciate it ;) .

Well, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I do believe I’ve found a new favorite Disney Food Truck item. I thought nothing would top the Hand-dipped Corn Dog at Fantasy Fare for me, but the Dipping Safari has managed to do it. Granted, I adore anything even remotely resembling Sanaa’s Bread Service. So, if you’re like me in that regard, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed if you choose to hit up Namaste Café on your next trip to Downtown Disney!

Would you like to try the Dipping Safari? Please let us know with a comment!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

Related posts:

1. News! and Review: Downtown Disney’s Namaste Cafe Food Truck
  2. Super Snack VALUE: Naan Bread with Dipping Sauces at Art of Animation Resort
  3. Review: Fantasy Fare Food Truck brings Hand-dipped Corn Dogs to Downtown Disney!

View the full article