Review: Cherry Cobbler at Port Orleans, Riverside Resort

Disney4me

It’s gotta be said… Port Orleans – Riverside has a lot going for it.

It just might be my favorite Disney World Resort – at the very least, it’s in my top three. So it’s entirely possible that my total bias towards all-things-Riverside may be coming into play when I think about the food options.

But, c’mon! This is the home of the great River Roost lounge, made all the greater thanks to our friend Yeeha Bob. (Oh, and those unreal Prime Rib Sliders don’t hurt, either. Trust me.) Aaaaand it’s got Boatwright’s, serving up Louisiana favorites like Jambalaya and Chicken and Andouille Gumbo.

And last, but not least, is the Riverside Mill Food Court.

Riverside Mill Food Court

Riverside Mill Food Court

It’s rustic-meets-comfy, and somehow — for a place with huge amounts of seating – manages to feel at least a little bit cozy, with its abundant natural light and mismatched chairs.

Riverside Mill Seating

Riverside Mill Seating

Riverside Mill Seating

Riverside Mill Seating

But the best part might be the slowly turning water wheel that you can view from inside.

View of water wheel

View of water wheel

In my head, it looks like this… totally sepia-toned!

Water wheel... in sepia!

Water wheel… in sepia!

Today we’re here to try a treat I’ve had my eye on for a while now (and I’ve only ever seen it at Riverside Mill). It’s the Cherry Cobbler, coming at you from the Bakery section!

Riverside Mill Bakery section

Riverside Mill Bakery section

The Cherry Cobbler doesn’t pop up on the menu until the evening, typically around 5:00 pm.

Bakery Menu at Riverside Mill Food Court

Bakery Menu at Riverside Mill Food Court

I’ve wanted to try it since the first time I saw a huge, bubbling pan-full!

Batch of hot Cherry Cobbler

Batch of hot Cherry Cobbler

What I received was definitely heavy on the cherry, but not so much on the cobbler.

Cherry Cobbler

Cherry Cobbler

That’s unfortunate, because every time I bit into some of the crumbled topping, it was a little pocket of buttery, brown sugar deliciousness.

Crumble topping

Crumble topping

I’m hoping to get back to try it again, to see if I fare better with more topping on another serving.

Fortunately, the cherry and glaze base has enough going on to stand pretty well on its own (and I was able to uncover a few more bits of crumble once I dug in).

Cherries

Cherries galore

I’m making a pure assumption that it’s just canned filling (and if that is indeed the case, it’s fine by us!), but it’s got more-than-a-hint of cinnamon spice that makes all the cherry taste as great as it smells (I had trouble making it to a table before digging in – it smelled sooo good).

Bite of cherry filling

Bite of cherry filling

If the Cherry Cobbler doesn’t ring your bell, the bakery is still worth a stop for a slice of Cheesecake (topped with fruit or chocolate sauce), or a Magic Cookie Bar (the only other spot you’ll find that bundle of butterscotch-and-coconut greatness is, I believe, Roaring Fork over at Wilderness Lodge).

Magic Cookie Bar at Riverside Mill

Magic Cookie Bar at Riverside Mill

Alas, no beignets here… you’ll need to stroll down the river to French Quarter’s Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory for those.

But then again, that’s part of the fun – finding those signature treats that play a part in making every resort unique. And, as they sing in the Riverside Mill, it’s always a fun time “down by the Riverside!”

Have you tried the cherry cobbler at Riverside? What is your favorite Disney resort snack? Let us know in the comments below!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

Related posts:

1. Guest Review: Riverside Mill Food Court at Disney World’s Port Orleans Riverside Resort
  2. Quick Look: River Roost at Port Orleans Riverside
  3. Guest Review: Boatwright’s Dining Hall at Port Orleans Riverside

View the full article