“The Best Thing I Ever Ate in Disney!� Snacks (Vol. II)

Disney4me

We’re back with another installment in The Best Thing I Ever Ate in Disney series!

Snacks are a big deal around here. Heck, we plan entire events and crawls around them! And it’s clear Disney thinks snacking is where it’s at, too. We’re seeing more and more small plates restaurants open. Spots like Tutto Gusto, Spice Road Table, and The Hollywood Brown Derby Lounge cater to the grazing crowd.

Today, we’re talking about some of our favorite snacks that we enjoy nearly every time we visit Walt Disney World or Disneyland. Dig out your stretchy pants, or plan to do an extra lap on the treadmill, and let’s do this!

Cheshire Cake Cup

Who doesn’t love a ginormous cupcake? You know I’m a big fan of these edible works of art. But at the end of the day, I pretty much see them as frosting delivery systems. So you can imagine my delight when I got wind of Cake Cups at Magic Kingdom’s Cheshire Cafe!

Layers of alternating cake and frosting make a parfait-style dessert that’s hard to resist.

Cheshire Cake Cup at Cheshire Cafe

Cheshire Cake Cup at Cheshire Cafe

I know, I know. I talk about these a lot. But I figure if there’s something I NEVER miss when I’m at the Magic Kingdom, I should take every opportunity to suggest it so you don’t miss it either. ;-)

Frosting!!

Frosting!!

Two new, equally gorgeous varieties have recently made an appearance — White Rabbit and Queen of Hearts versions! Expanding the cake cup line? We are ALL IN.

White Chocolate Rabbit and Queen of Hearts Strawberry Shortcake Cake Cups

White Chocolate Rabbit and Queen of Hearts Strawberry Shortcake Cake Cups

These are the closest snacks I’ve found to them just giving me a bowl of frosting and a spoon, soooooo, yeah.

Dole Whip

Next up is one of my favorite Disney snacks of all time, the classic Dole Whip.

Oh, sure, you have your cult classics. Your Turkey Legs. Your Mickey Bars. And they’re great. But if there’s one snack I must have every time I’m at either Disneyland (umbrellas and cherries!!!!) or Walt Disney World, it’s some variety of Dole Whip.

This creamy pineapple-flavored soft serve made news here on Disney Food Blog for a different reason last year, when we brought you word not of what it is — but what it isn’t! Seems that our favorite Disney chilly treat is now Vegan, Dairy Free, and Gluten Free!

Dole Whip Float at Disneyland's Tiki Juice Bar

Dole Whip Float at Disneyland’s Tiki Juice Bar — My Favorite!

So if you’re looking to indulge in a creamy, delicious snack, but you have reasons to watch what you eat — this is a great option! I personally go for a Dole Whip Float with straight Dole Whip every. Single. Time.

But others really prefer to temper the puckery goodness of pineapple with a hint of vanilla, and opt for the Vanilla Swirl.

Dole Whip at Captain Cook's

Dole Whip at Captain Cook’s

And remember, you can skip the long lines at Magic Kingdom’s Aloha Isle in Walt Disney World by heading to the Polynesian Resort for your Dole Whip fix instead!

Waffle Sandwich

It’s a snack. No, it’s a meal. Well, I suppose it depends on how many people are fighting for a share, and how hungry you are.

Magic Kingdom is home to another one of my favorite places to score great snacks — Sleepy Hollow Refreshments. This cute little building with a fun backstory serves up several treats that are big enough to count as a meal. But some of the brightest menu stars are the Waffle Sandwiches.

And you have so many options spanning all the meals in a day! If you swing by here for breakfast (or lunch, or dinner), one of my favorites is the Nutella and Fresh Fruit Waffle Sandwich. It’s huge. And supa yum.

Nutella and Fruit Waffle Sandwich

Nutella and Fruit Waffle Sandwich

If you happen to visit a little later in the day, you can still get the Nutella version, but your Waffle Sandwich options expand to include more savory choices. I can’t get enough of the Sweet and Spicy Chicken Waffle.

Sweet and Spicy Chicken Waffle Sandwich at Sleepy Hollow

Sweet and Spicy Chicken Waffle Sandwich at Sleepy Hollow

But the Swiss, Ham, and Prosciutto version has lots of fans, too!

Swiss Ham and Proscuitto Waffle Sandwich

Swiss Ham and Proscuitto Waffle Sandwich

Either way, bring help to eat these, or plan to count it as a meal. They’re delicious — and filling.

Carrot Cake Cookie

I try. Really. I try to spend a day in Disney’s Hollywood Studios and not succumb to the temptation of a Carrot Cake Cookie from Writer’s Stop and Sweet Spells. But it just isn’t gonna happen, guys.

Because every so often you need a break from cupcakes, right? I mean, I guess. Yes. Definitely.

Stopping by the little unassuming coffee shop back between Tatooine and the Streets of America is also a nice way to slow down and escape the crowds for just a bit. And while you’re at it, you may as well get a serving of veggies. (Because Carrot Cake Cookies totally count.)

Carrot Cake Cookie

Carrot Cake Cookie

And the spicy, cakey cookies are the perfect excuse for consuming that incredible cream cheese frosting.

Peanut Butter Sandwich

Don’t you love when a snack has a name like it’s a real food, but then it turns out to be a spectacular sweet?

The Peanut Butter Sandwich fits that bill. This is basically an open face Peanut Butter Graham Cracker Sandwich, smothered in Chocolate and drizzled in more Chocolate.

In other words, it’s salty-sweet perfection.

Peanut Butter Sandwich in Disneyland

Peanut Butter Sandwich in Disneyland

And that Peanut Butter Filling isn’t just PB right out of the jar — it’s that yummy, sugary sweet version that’s just this side of Peanut Butter Fudge.

Inside the Fabled Peanut Butter Sandwich

Inside the Fabled Peanut Butter Sandwich

And did I mention the Chocolate?

Sadly you won’t find this one in Disney World anymore; it’s a Disneyland exclusive these days. Pick yours up at Candy Palace to Trolley Treats (and sometimes Pooh Corner).

Cheesecake on a Stick

When is Cheesecake a Popsicle? When you put a stick in it and serve it frozen, that’s when.

Ok, so I totally get that you may not think that Frozen Cheesecake on a Stick from the Gelato Bars Kiosk in Disneyland’s Downtown Disney sounds all that great. I mean, will it be so hard you can’t eat it? Will it make a mess? Would it still taste as rich and completely awesome as the regular stuff?

No. No. And Yes.

Seriously — I only found this amazing treat a little while back, and it’s already a tried and true favorite! It’s surprisingly soft — owing to lots of amazing butterfat, no doubt! — and the flavor is incredible.

Disneyland's Frozen Cheesecake on a Stick!

Disneyland’s Frozen Cheesecake on a Stick!

I don’t know what kind of magic they’ve got happening here, but it’s definitely produced a keeper!

Nudel Gratin at Sommerfest

Here’s another snack that borders on a meal. But since it could sorta be considered a side dish, it’s makin’ the list.

Just when we didn’t think that Disney could make another incredible version of Macaroni and Cheese, they went and proved us wrong with the Nudel Gratin at Epcot’s Sommerfest.

The extra, over-the-top, super cheesy baked version appeared on the menu at this Germany Pavilion counter service stop a while back, and it’s quickly become one of our favorite all-time dishes!

It’s filling and at less than $4, it’s an incredible bargain, too! Wanna make at home? No problem. Here’s the recipe.

There are so many truly incredible snacks at Disney, but that wraps up my list of the Best of the Best…for this installment.  The best part of Disney is that they keep introducing new classics. Can’t wait till Volume III!

So let’s hear from you now — what’s the Best Thing YOU Ever Ate in Disney when it comes to snacks? Don’t be shy — sound off in comments below!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

Related posts:

1. “The Best Thing I Ever Ate in Disney!”: Snacks and Drinks
  2. “The Best Thing I Ever Ate at Disney!”: Desserts
  3. “The Best Thing I Ever Ate in Disney!”: Appetizers & Sides

View the full article