Guest Review: Eats and Treats at Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea

Welcome guest author Audrey B. with a review from Tokyo Disneyland!

When I recently had the opportunity to spend the day at the Tokyo Disney Resort, I was ecstatic but a bit apprehensive about the food situation.

tokyo-disney-1.gif

Tokyo Disneyland

Although I had originally planned to spend the entire day at the DisneySea park, thanks to meticulous tour planning and FastPass I was able to enjoy all of the attractions by 2pm.

I could not resist jumping on the monorail and heading over to Disneyland Park, and here’s where you’ll find one of the most popular food items in Tokyo Disney!

Souvenir Popcorn Buckets

One thing you will notice if you ever make it to this park is that nearly everyone carries a souvenir popcorn bucket!

Popcorn-Tokyo-Disneyland-600x470.jpg

Popcorn in Tokyo Disneyland!

The popcorn is quite a big deal and a popular snack in Tokyo Disneyland. Carts can be found throughout the park, each offering unique flavors such as Black Pepper, Sea Salt, Curry, Milk Tea, Cranberry, and Soy Sauce & Butter.

After riding Pooh’s Hunny Hunt (arguably the most advanced, whimsical, and unique dark ride ever in the entire world!), I followed my tummy for a little smackerel of Honey Popcorn! It was undoubtedly my favorite out of everything I ate on the trip!

Tokyo DisneySea

Because I spent most of my time at DisneySea, a remarkably beautiful and unique counterpart to Disneyland, we’ve got a lot to talk about here.

tokyo-disney-2.gif

Maple Balls

In the Agrabah Marketplace, I found a stand called Sultan’s Oasis, which served juice, ice cream, and something called Maple Balls, which I had to try!

Maple-Balls-346x625.jpg

Maple Balls.

Not quite like doughnuts, but not quite like cake, either, these scrumptious little nuggets had a slightly chewy texture, complimented with the crunch of the walnut topping.

New York Deli

For my full meal, I headed over to New York Deli! I’ve spent lots of time in Japan, and while the warmth of the people always makes it an enjoyable experience, the cuisine is quite exotic. And most Japanese I’ve encountered find my vegetarianism perplexing, to put it mildly. The New York Deli offers several salads and sandwiches, but no vegetarian choices.

I tried my luck requesting that a Reuben be made without the beef. There was a bit of a language barrier, but the young man was very patient and helpful.

New-York-Deli-600x303.jpg

New York Deli Vegetarian Meal.

While not exactly what I’m used to getting in the States, it was very tasty. The Thousand Island dressing looked the same as you’d expect, but there were definitely some unrecognizable flavors in there. The fries and Coke were exactly the same as you’d expect to get in the U.S.

One note if you do find yourself here: near the dining area, usually near a condiments station,

you will find a sink where you can (and should) wash your hands before you eat, as is customary in Japan.

Ice Cream

Had I not indulged in the Maple Balls, I might have been tempted to try one of these treats available in the nearby Mysterious Island section of the park!

Ice-Cream-DisneySea-600x378.jpg

Ice Cream at DisneySea!

Churros

I had read that the Tokyo Disney Resort offers varieties of Churro that are unavailable elsewhere. Apparently the selections (such as maple, honey lemon, and sesame) change periodically, and they are very popular among the guests.

While I was there, the only available churro was Strawberry Milk with a chocolate dipping sauce. Initially I thought I would give it a try, but each time I came upon a Churro stand, I was confronted with a line like this!

Queue-for-Churros-600x304.jpg

Queue for Churros.

The line continues all the way around and behind those trees! Note to self: get in line for churros early!

Menus and Plastic Food

If, like me, you feel apprehensive about the food situation, rest assured that the attentive staff will take care of you. You might also be comforted to know that, as is customary in Japan, each menu is posted out front (including English translations) along with plastic molds of exactly how each dish will appear, as seen here at Sebastian’s Calypso Kitchen in the Mermaid Lagoon section of DisneySea.

Menu-Choices-in-Japanese-and-English-600

Menu choices translated in English.

Plastic-Food-Tokyo-600x569.jpg

Plastic food representing menu items!

Overall

If you are planning a trip to the Tokyo Disney Resort, you are in for a rare treat. Not only are there unique and wonderful Disney experiences to be had, but the incredible warmth and spirit of the Japanese visitors will live in your heart and memory forever.

I will never, ever forget seeing the gleeful faces and squeals of joy as the gates first opened in the morning, or hearing grown men belt out along with “Paint with All the Colors of the Wind.” The Magic of Disney knows no language or cultural barriers!

Have you visited one or both of the Toyko parks? Let us know your thoughts on the food selections. And if we’re ever lucky enough to get there, what MUST we try? Chime in now!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

No related posts.

View the full article