Review: Coconut-Lychee Lemonade at Drinkwallah in Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom was chock full of surprises on a recent visit! While Chester & Hester’s Dino-Rama debuted the Cotton Candy Carnival Cocktail, the Asia section’s Drinkwallah held a refreshing adult beverage find of its own: Coconut-Lychee Lemonade.

Drinkwallah Sign

Drinkwallah Sign

Coconut-Lychee Lemonade

Coconut-Lychee Lemonade

One of the reasons I was intrigued by this new drink (aside from the whole “Coconut Rum” thing, that is ;) ) is that it gives us a reason to explore this unique location a little more.

Welcome sign

Welcome sign

Sure, it’s pretty much a small kiosk dedicated to its typically limited menu of frozen non-alcoholic beverages (Coke, Blue Raspberry, and Lemonade are the choices) and a few grab-and-go snacks.

Drinkwallah Menu

Drinkwallah Menu

But that’s exactly what makes the high level of detail in this small snack stop so impressive. Like many places in Animal Kingdom, you could stroll right past Drinkwallah without realizing it, since it blends in so well with its surroundings.

Drinkwallah kiosk

Drinkwallah kiosk

You can spot a few clues, however, as to what’s available inside…

Outdoor signage

Outdoor signage

Ice Cold Refrigeration!

Ice Cold Refrigeration!

… as well as what’s not :).

Drinkwallah signage

Drinkwallah signage

Should you decide to stop inside based on the promise of cold beverages on a hot day, you’ll find that this is where the details really kick in. Just about every inch is packed with a huge array of trinkets, photographs, and artwork.

Inside Drinkwallah

Inside Drinkwallah

Inside Drinkwallah

Inside Drinkwallah

Coke bottles inside Drinkwallah

Coke bottles inside Drinkwallah

Poster on the wall

Poster on the wall

Inside Drinkwallah

Inside Drinkwallah

I always like the detail of exposed electrical wires that you’ll find all over the Africa and Asia sections of Animal Kingdom.

Light fixture

Light fixture

Forgive the awkward angle of this shot of the Coke freezer, but I love the weathered look of it, and it at least gives you some idea as to how small this space is — I had just enough room to lean back and take this picture.

Coke freezer

Coke freezer

In fact, I took the majority of these pictures through the outdoor windows – feeling oddly like a Disney-detail paparazzo ;) — since there is so little room to move inside.

The only thing that reminds you that you are in a theme park is the glow coming from the frozen drink machines themselves, and even they have been enhanced with unique fonts and topped off with materials marked by the “Anandapur Sheet Metal Company.”

Frozen beverage machines at Drinkwallah

Once you ‘re set with your drink or snack, you’ll do best to follow the posted advice.

Indoor signage

Indoor signage

It’s a great feeling to score a spot in this little building just behind Drinkwallah, equipped with a tall chair and – obviously – lots of shade.

Building behind Drinkwallah

Building behind Drinkwallah

But since that’s often already claimed, you can plan an escape to the lower garden.

Lower Garden direction sign

Lower Garden direction sign

What a lovely little space… There isn’t much in the way of seating here, with most opting to grab their cold drinks and continue towards Expedition Everest. But if you do have a few moments to enjoy the view, you can grab a stool at one of the few umbrella-covered tables and look out over the water.

The Lower Garden

The Lower Garden

The boat sits docked, ready to make its delivery of more Coke bottles.

Delivery boat

Delivery boat

Coke crates in boat

Coke crates in boat

And those unique details from inside continue outdoors as well.

The back of Drinkwallah

The back of Drinkwallah

The back of Drinkwallah

The back of Drinkwallah

Masks hanging from trees around the Lower Garden

Masks hanging from trees around the Lower Garden

I pulled up next to this guy…

Statue in the Lower Garden

Statue in the Lower Garden

…and now we’re finally ready to indulge in the whole reason for this little visit: the Coconut-Lychee Lemonade!

Coconut-Lychee Lemonade

Coconut-Lychee Lemonade

The base of Odwalla Lemonade gets its coconut kick entirely from Parrot Bay Coconut Rum. The coconut came through more in the aftertaste, thanks to the just-tart-enough tang of the lemonade in the forefront. I didn’t pick up on a ton of the Lychee fruit flavor — only a subtle hint of something different. But I loved the overall flavor combo of this beverage, and how it provided just enough relaxation to take the edge off.

Coconut-Lychee Lemonade

Coconut-Lychee Lemonade

At $6.75, it’s a teeny bit easier on the pocket than most adult beverages on property, which is great news because this is easily one I would come back for time and time again. I’m really hoping it stays around!

I enjoyed seeing this spot expand its options just a bit, and will definitely remain on the lookout for any new treasures in this unique kiosk!

Have you been tempted to grab a cold beverage at Drinkwallah? Please let us know with a comment!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

Related posts:

1. Guest Review: Dino Diner Snacks at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
  2. Review: Epcot Haiti Drinks Booth (or “The Best Frozen Lemonade EVER”)
  3. Review: Cotton Candy Carnival Cocktail at Chester & Hester’s Dino-Rama in Animal Kingdom

View the full article