Review: Specialty Hot Dogs at The Lunching Pad in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom

Disney4me

Can’t wait for lunch? Head over to The Lunching Pad with us!

You’ll find this snack stop in Tomorrowland at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom. And while it looks pretty unassuming, it’s a great place to enjoy Cream Cheese Pretzels, or even Mickey Soft Pretzels!

But in addition to some of our favorite soft pretzel snacks and carbonated frozen drinks, there also an outlet for those delicious and inventive Gourmet Hot Dogs that you’ll find around the resort.

Today, we’re taking a look at not one, not two, but three of these deluxe dogs for lunch. C’mon!

Atmosphere

So, atmosphere at The Lunching Pad…well, what you see is pretty much what you get.

The Lunching Pad at Rocketeer Plaza

The Lunching Pad at Rocketeer Plaza

If you’ve been to Tomorrowland, you’ve seen the atmosphere of this spot. It’s really just a walk-up window.

Ordering Window

Ordering Window

There are a few tables scattered nearby, complete with those awesome, padded Tomorrowland seats.

And because The Lunching Pad is located beneath the PeopleMover and Astro-Orbiter, the overhang provides some much-welcomed shade when you stop here for a quick meal or snack.

Seating

Seating

But now that we’ve taken a (very quick!) tour around The Lunching Pad, let’s see about those dogs!

Eats

The menu at this snack stop is very small. You have a handful of frozen, carbonated beverages, which are so amazing on a hot day! And you can get them in plain cups or sport bottles. And as we mentioned before, this is also a good place to snag a soft pretzel.

Mickey Pretzel with Plastic Cheese

Mickey Pretzel with Plastic Cheese

But the star attractions here, if you’re looking for real sustenance, are the line up of over the top hot dogs.

Menu -- Click to Enlarge

Menu — Click to Enlarge

Let’s just take a moment to admire them, shall we?

Today’s selections include, left to right, the BLT Hot Dog (NEW!), the Coney Island Dog, and the Philly Cheese Steak Dog.

Specialty Hot Dogs from The Lunching Pad in Disney World's Magic Kingdom

Specialty Hot Dogs from The Lunching Pad in Disney World’s Magic Kingdom

We’ll start with the brand new-to-the-menu BLT Hot Dog. So I gotta admit that at first glance, this one was a little weird. I mean, there was a salad on my dog.

BUT — there was also bacon. So that’s, you know, a salad I can get behind.

BLT Hot Dog

BLT Hot Dog

At any rate, if you distill this down to the sum of its flavors, it actually made more sense. After all, hot dogs have that same smokey, meaty flavor that you get in bacon. So, shockingly, this worked.

BLT Hot Dog -- Cross Section

BLT Hot Dog — Cross Section

Next, I came to what was completely familiar territory for me — the Coney Island Dog. Now this is more like it. Hot dog, chili, mustard, onions, done. The way it should be.

Coney Island Hot Dog

Coney Island Dog

And it was every bit as good as it looks! Your GI system may not thank you, but your taste buds sure will.

Coney Island Hot Dog --Cross Section

Coney Island Dog –Cross Section

Finally, we arrived at our third variety — the Philly Cheese Steak Dog. This one was BY FAR my favorite! PLASTIC CHEEEEEEEEESE!!!

This is hot dog, topped with cheese steak, onions, cheese, etc. or so it says. The authoritative statement that this is “cheese steak” may be challenged, and everyone knows that the cheese on a Philly Cheese Steak is hotly debated; but I don’t care what it is. It was gud.

Philly Cheese Steak Hot Dog

Philly Cheese Steak Hot Dog

Plus, did I mention plastic cheese?

Philly Cheese Steak Hot Dog -- Cross Section

Philly Cheese Steak Hot Dog — Cross Section

You can’t go wrong with meat on meat.

IMHO.

Overall

I’m a hot dog fan, so all of the hot dogs at Lunching Pad sounded pretty good, and tasting made a believer out of me. While we certainly had our individual favorites, I enjoyed them all.

The main issue with all of these, however, was that the bun was a foot-long, but the dogs were regular sized. Wha??!! Just eat accordingly.

So don’t worry if you find yourself famished, advance dining reservation-less, and the counter service location lines are snaking around your favorite attractions. You’ll find a hearty meal in the form of a hot dog at The Launching Pad.

Which Launching Pad Hot Dog will you be trying on your next visit to Walt Disney World? Tell us your pick in comments!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

Related posts:

1. Guest Review: Specialty Hot Dogs at The Lunching Pad
  2. New Specialty Hot Dogs at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
  3. Guest Review: New Specialty Hot Dogs at Casey’s Corner

View the full article