Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am in my 17th year of reporting and writing about Disney World. I’ve lived in Florida off and on since I was 19. I’m a Gen X Disney expert, and I’m here to say something loud and clear: The way you’ve always done Disney World? That plan’s done.

2024-wdw-atmo-mk-magic-kingdom-cinderell

Magic Kingdom

I’m not here today with my usual list of things to “beat the heat.” I’m not gonna tell you to pack a cooling towel. I’m not here to remind you to drink more of the free ice water Disney will give you in many locations (though you should). Not today. Today I’m saying blow up your entire vacation strategy.

Planning guide for the ultimate Disney vacation

Because this heat? This isn’t normal. One of the things I constantly remind the writers on our team is that it rarely-to-never hits 100 degrees on the Florida Peninsula. Like maybe once every 5 or so years. High humidity and sea breezes keep Florida temperatures lower than you will see out West, certainly, but even lower than Midwestern and Southern cities in July and August. I have surprised many people with these statistics over the past few decades. Well, guess what? I get to throw that whole “seasoned veteran” talk out the window now because the forecast has been full of days when Orlando is hitting 99 or 100 degrees lately.

IMG_1006-480x600.jpg

Hot day at MK!

As I write this, it’s 7:30 PM on a Thursday night in late July, and the “feels like” temperature is 106 degrees at Disney World – the actual temperature is still 96. At 7:30 PM. That is not vacation weather — that’s “don’t-go-outside-if-you-can-help-it” weather. But you’re already here, or your trip is coming up. You’ve spent a lot of money to bring your family to the Most Magical Place on Earth. So let’s talk realistically about how to survive — and still have fun.

Step 1: Rope Drop or Bust

If you’ve got breakfast reservations that keep you from getting into the park by 9 a.m.? Cancel them. Morning hours are the only reasonable time to hit outdoor attractions before the sun fully turns on the oven. Book those character meals in the evening while Florida’s afternoon thunderstorms pass through.

2024-WDW-EPCOT-Monorail-Atmo-2-1-700x525

The Monorail at EPCOT

You want to get in, ride your top priorities, and then get out before the stroller meltdowns start. (And yes, I was in EPCOT this morning and the stroller screams were loud and early — this heat is brutal on everyone, especially kids.)

Step 2: Make Your Own Shade

Buy a compact umbrella and carry it with you. I’m serious. I don’t care if it makes you feel like a weak, wilting flower. Shade makes it feel 10–15 degrees cooler, and when you’re in this kind of heat, that can be the difference between making it through the morning and tapping out by 10:30 AM. Bonus: Umbrellas give you a bit more personal space in the crowd. You’re welcome.

2023-wdw-dak-pandora-stock-700x525.jpg

Pandora in Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Step 3: Midday = Shut It Down

By 12:30 PM, it’s time to get out of the parks. Go back to your hotel. Take a cool shower. Shut the blackout curtains. Take a nap. Your kids will nap. You’ll nap. No one’s fighting it — this heat will wear you down, fast.

2021-wdw-disneys-pop-century-resort-room

Nap time!

Step 4: Shift Your Entire Day

You’re going to flip your schedule: parks in the morning, break mid-day, return at night. Kids’ sleep routines – what are those? We do not know them.

20250720-DFB-Disney-Starlight-Dream-the-

Disney Starlight

Disney is giving us nighttime shows for a reason. Happily Ever After and the new Disney Starlight Parade are worth staying up for — and guess what? The lines get shorter, the air gets cooler, and everyone’s happier after dark.

Step 5: Change Your Expectations

You’re not going to do it all. You just aren’t. And that’s OK.

2025-swan-and-dolphin-lagoon-games-lanes

Bowling! Inside! At Disney World!

Instead:

There is so much to do that doesn’t involve melting in the sun.

Pro Tips From a Local Who’s Over It:

  • Buses: Air conditioning = great.
  • Monorails: Hit or miss. Monorail Lime today? Fantastic. Monorail Coral? A sweaty regret.
  • Skyliner: You’re gonna be super hot up there if it stops for more than 12.4 seconds.
  • Indoor Attractions: Make time for Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, American Adventure, or any air-conditioned space where you can sit for 15 minutes. It’s not laziness — it’s survival.
20250629-DFB-The-Hall-of-Presidents-Attr

I’ve never been so interested in American history.

And if You Haven’t Booked Yet…

I’ll say it: Don’t come in peak summer.

I’m not a big fan of pulling kids out of school for a vacation, but if you can swing a long weekend in November, December, January, February, or March — you’ll actually get more done in the parks when you’re not constantly needing to hydrate and rest, and you’ll have a far better time doing it.

2024-wdw-atmo-dhs-hollywood-studios-towe

What’s more terrifying? This ride or an entire day outside in this heat?

Bottom Line?

This is the summer you need to completely change how you Disney. If you keep trying to stick to your usual all-day, go-go-go schedule, you will hit a wall. Your kids will hit it. Your parents will hit it. And someone’s going to have the kind of day you never want to remember.

2024-wdw-mk-ride-its-a-small-world-700x5

It’s my favorite ride, but I get it if it’s your least favorite. It’s still a dark, cool, 10-minute break from THIS HEAT.

Change.The.Plan. Embrace the A/C. Take the nap. Stay late. Make new memories — not heat stroke horror stories.

As for me, I’ll see you at the Starlight Parade — after dark, when the temperature has dropped at least a little.

“I’ve Never Seen an Airport Like This” — What To Do When Everything Falls Apart Before Security

Join the DFB Newsletter to get all the breaking news right in your inbox! Click here to Subscribe!

WE KNOW DISNEY.
YOU CAN, TOO.


DFB-Guide-Covers-Fan-11-11-24-2.png

Oh boy, planning a Disney trip can be quite the adventure, and we totally get it! But fear not, dear friends, we compiled EVERYTHING you need (and the things to avoid!) to plan the ULTIMATE Disney vacation.

Whether you're a rookie or a seasoned pro, our insider tips and tricks will have you exploring the parks like never before. So come along with us, and get planning your most magical vacation ever!

How have your Disney World plans changed? Let me know in the comments.

The post You Need a New Plan for Disney World. STAT. first appeared on the disney food blog.

View the full article

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...