Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Sometimes, it can be too easy to open your wallet without thinking in Hollywood Studios.

2023-wdw-dhs-mickey-and-minnies-runaway-

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway Merch Stand

Between the immersive theming, the ride hype, and the “you can only get it here” souvenirs, the park is basically designed to make you shop on instinct. And hey, sometimes it works out — I’ve bought stuff I still love years later. But today, we’re not talking about those wins. Today, we’re talking about the “why did I do that?” purchases I’d probably skip if I had a do-over. Here are four things I regret impulse buying in Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Click here to subscribe

Fantasmic! Dining Package

Here’s the thing: that amphitheater is massive. You absolutely do not need the dining package to get a decent view, especially if you’re willing to show up just a little early.

2024-dlr-Disneyland-Fantasmic-steamboat-

Fantasmic! returns!

If you’re already planning to eat at one of the restaurants included in the package, fine — it’s a nice perk to tack on. But don’t book it just for the reserved seating. It’s not worth locking yourself into an expensive (and potentially underwhelming) meal just to sit a few rows closer in a theater that fits thousands. Save your money — and your appetite — for something better.

The Remote-Control Droid I Built at Droid Depot

This one hurts because the process of building the droid was actually really fun. You get to choose your parts, put the whole thing together on a conveyor belt, and activate it with lights and sound. It’s one of those immersive Galaxy’s Edge experiences that feels super unique in the moment.

2023-wdw-atmos-DHS-star-wars-galaxys-edg

Droid Depot

But now that I’m home, well, that droid is just… sitting in the corner of my office, collecting dust. I’ve used it maybe three times total. It doesn’t do much beyond roll around and beep, and unless you’re a hardcore collector or planning to display it, it doesn’t really serve a long-term purpose.

2024-dlr-disneyland-swge-droid-depot-dro

Droid and droid backpack

It’s also not cheap. And while it was a cool memory, I’d honestly rather have spent that money on another snack crawl through the park or even saved it for a second round on Rise of the Resistance with a Lightning Lane purchase. If you’ve got a kid who’s really into it or a specific plan for how you’ll use it after the trip, go for it. But for me? Definitely an impulse buy, I didn’t think through.

Character-Specific Lightsabers

Let me preface this by saying the lightsaber-building experience at Savi’s Workshop is still one of the coolest things I’ve done in a Disney park. If you’ve never done it, it’s incredibly immersive, and you walk away with a custom saber that feels like real movie merch.

2023-wdw-DHS-star-wars-galaxys-edge-ligh

Peace and Justice Pieces

But the specialty lightsabers — the ones based on specific characters, like Luke, Vader, or Ahsoka — aren’t built through the experience. You buy them straight off the shelf at Dok-Ondar’s. They’re detailed and beautifully made, but unless you’re planning to display them in a case, they don’t really do much.

2024-dlr-disneyland-swge-dok-ondars-den-

Darth Maul Legacy lightsaber set

I bought one on a whim because it looked amazing, and I got caught up in the Star Wars hype. But once I got it home, well, it went into a closet. It’s heavy, a little awkward to store, and not really something I feel the need to take out and show people. If you’re a diehard fan or collector, this could still be a worthwhile buy. But for most people, I’d say think twice before dropping a lot of money on a saber that won’t see the light of day after your trip.

Pressed Pennies

These get me every time. They’re cheap, they’re cute, and they feel like the perfect little “souvenir that doesn’t take up space.” I swear I have spent more time standing in front of those machines trying to pick which character to get than I have actually looking at the pennies once I’m home.

2023-wdw-dhs-hollywood-studios-sunset-bo

Pressed Penny Machine

The truth is, I never keep them in a place where I’ll see them. They either end up buried at the bottom of a bag, lost in a drawer, or forgotten completely. And they don’t exactly hold up as keepsakes the way pins or magnets do. So even though they seem harmless at just a couple of bucks each, they add up fast, and for me, they usually just become tiny metal regrets.

2021-wdw-walt-disney-world-hollywood-stu

Pressed Penny Machine

If you’re someone who collects them in a book or makes a point to organize and display them, they could be a fun tradition. But if you’re like me and don’t have a system, you’ll probably forget about them before you even get to the parking lot.

2021-wdw-walt-disney-world-hollywood-stu

Pressed Pennies

Hollywood Studios has some seriously cool stuff, but just because something looks awesome in the moment doesn’t mean it’s going to feel worth it later. Our advice? Don’t let the hype — or the theming — talk you into something you’re not 100% sure about.

Keep following Disney Food Blog for all the latest from Disney!

7 Things I Regret Impulse Buying in EPCOT

Join the DFB Newsletter to get all the breaking news right in your inbox! Click here to Subscribe!

WE KNOW DISNEY.
YOU CAN, TOO.


DFB-Guide-Covers-Fan-11-11-24-2.png

Oh boy, planning a Disney trip can be quite the adventure, and we totally get it! But fear not, dear friends, we compiled EVERYTHING you need (and the things to avoid!) to plan the ULTIMATE Disney vacation.

Whether you're a rookie or a seasoned pro, our insider tips and tricks will have you exploring the parks like never before. So come along with us, and get planning your most magical vacation ever!

What’s the best souvenir you’ve bought in Hollywood Studios? Tell us in the comments.

The post 4 Things I Regret Impulse Buying in Disney’s Hollywood Studios first appeared on the disney food blog.

View the full article

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...