Review!! Woody’s Lunch Box at Disney World’s Toy Story Land!!

Disney4me

Howdy, Partner! We’re so happy to be greeting you from the brand new Woody’s Lunch Box in TOY STORY LAND!!

Woody’s Lunch Box serves up Quick Service breakfast, lunch, and dinner to all of us “toys” visiting Toy Story Land in Disney’s Hollywood Studios. And that’s a good thing, because all of this play time is gonna make all the toy sheriffs, Bo-Peeps, Green Aliens, and Space Ranger heroes mighty hungry!

You see, when you enter Toy Story Land as a guest, you “shrink” — through some pretty incredible Disney Imagineering magic — to the size of a toy. Setting foot into Andy’s backyard, you’re surrounded by Tinker Toys, building blocks, game board pieces and more… no matter where you look!

Speaking of Andy, he’s turned his very own lunch box right on its side, and that’s how this spot changed into WOODY’S LUNCH BOX.

Woody's Lunch Box

Woody’s Lunch Box

So let’s check it out! Because it’s time to play big — and EAT BIG — in Toy Story Land!

Atmosphere

Woody’s Lunch Box blends right in with in the colorful and insanely detailed setting in Toy Story Land. The key identifiers surrounding the walk-up window are the overhang of the lid of Andy’s lunch box and his Woody’s Roundup thermos propping it all up.

Woody's Lunch Box

Woody’s Lunch Box

So, it’s established that the lunch box belongs to Andy, and the story tell us that he propped it on its side in order to create a picnic environment for his green army men.

Green Army Man

Green Army Man

But Andy has stepped away, and it’s the toys who have turned it into Woody’s Lunch Box, serving quick service eats for all of us honorary toys.

Woody's Lunch Box

Woody’s Lunch Box

You’ll even spot a few green army men scoping out the area to keep an eye out for Andy’s return!

Green Army Man

Green Army Man

Green Army Man

Green Army Man

Sure, Woody’s Lunch Box is essentially a walk-up window as far as serving style, so you may think it’s not such a big deal. I mean, you just place your order at Lotso’s Bear-y Bites or Trixie’s Treats…

Lotso Bear-y Bites Order Station

Lotso Bear-y Bites Order Station

Trixie's Treats Order Station

Trixie’s Treats Order Station

… and you’d think that’s it, right? But just wait until you take in the sights around the Lunch Box!

Woody's Lunch Box area

Woody’s Lunch Box area

Whimsical and colorful details can be found everywhere (just like in the rest of the new Land)! The seating areas themselves provide a Field Day all their own.

Table Seating

Table Seating

With most the tables topped with umbrellas, you can take your pick of tables in bright, primary colors.

Table and umbrealla

Table and umbrealla

And some tables carry extra details of their own. For example, this tabletop is formed by a note from Andy’s mom to her favorite deputy!

Woody's Lunch Box table

Woody’s Lunch Box table

And a wheel of Mini Babybel Snack Cheese — as the Official Snack Cheese of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, and Disney Cruise Line — splits up to make the tables and chairs with this one!

Woody's Lunch Box seating

Woody’s Lunch Box seating

Lunch and Dinner Eats

Remember, Woody’s Lunch Box is open for breakfast, too, but we’re starting our visit with Lunch and Dinner! Both mealtimes offer the same menu, starting with an array of hearty sandwiches — like the BBQ Brisket Melt, Monte Cristo, and Grilled Three-Cheese Sandwich — along with a bowl of “Totchos.”

Sandwiches & More Menu

Sandwiches & More Menu

That’s right — TATER TOT NACHOS, topped with chili, cheese, and corn chips! Sides for the sandwiches include Tomato-basil Soup, Potato Barrels, and Vegetable Macaroni Salad.

You’ll also find Mini Babybel Snack Cheese in a pack of three, as it’s the Official Snack Cheese of Walk Disney World and other Disney destinations.

Mini Babybel Snack Cheese 3-pack

Mini Babybel Snack Cheese 3-pack

“Desserts” are the Lunch Box Tarts in Raspberry and Chocolate-Hazlenut (and I put “dessert” in quotes because you can have these for breakfast, too, as they’re on the morning menu)! And Kids’ Meals include a Turkey Sandwich and Grilled Cheese.

Desserts, Kids Meals, and Specialty Drink Menu

Desserts, Kids Meals, and Specialty Drink Menu

The Specialty Drink of the house… I mean, the Box, is the Mystic Portal Punch. Other Specialty Beverages for lunch and dinner include Soda Floats (and though it says Ice Cream Float with Barq’s Root Beer, you can have it made your choice of fountain beverages).

Drink Menu

Drink Menu

And, of course, the highly anticipated Grown-Ups’ Lemonade! It’s the signature — and only — cocktail at the Lunch Box.

Let’s dive into ALL OF IT by starting with the BBQ Brisket Melt!

BBQ Brisket Melt

BBQ Brisket Melt

I ordered this one with a side of Tomato-Basil Soup. Now, you know I love a good Tomato-Basil Soup, and this one’s tasty. But I imagine it will hold more appeal when the days aren’t topping off at ninety million degrees ;) . But that BBQ Brisket Melt, though…

BBQ Brisket Melt

BBQ Brisket Melt

Can you see just the small bit of crispy char on the edge of the piece of tender beef in the bottom of the picture? And the Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses ooooozing all over it? Yeah… this one’s a winner. There’s even a bit of barbecue sauce (as the name will tell you, though you can’t see it in the picture) to up the flavor, along with sliced pickles.Wrap it all up in sourdough (which is always the ultimate choice for a hot grilled sandwich, in my opinion, and you’ve got what would have been my favorite thing here, if not for the next item.

THIS is the Grilled Three-Cheese Sandwich (or, as I like to call it, Grown-Ups’ Grilled Cheese! You Captain Cook’s fans know what I’m talkin’ about.)

Grilled Three Cheese Sandwich

Grilled Three Cheese Sandwich

I know, it looks simple. But not only is the ample amount of Provolone and Cheddar cheese combined with a cheddar cream cheese spread enough to make this ooey-gooey perfection… it’s also grilled on an artisan bread that retains some crispness and crunch on the outside, and it comes together just right around the melty center. Oh, and did I mentioned there’s a hint of garlic, too?

C’mon. Let’s look at it again.

Grilled Three-Cheese Sandwich

Grilled Three-Cheese Sandwich

THAT’S my new fav-o-rite!!

Now, if you were expecting a Monte Cristo akin to the signature must-have in Disneyland’s Cafe Orleans… well, that’s not what you’ll receive with the Monte Cristo with raspberry jam here.

Monte Cristo with raspberry jam

Monte Cristo with raspberry jam

Sure, you’ve got your turkey, your ham, and your Swiss cheese. And I do like the softer brioche bread, which was a nice choice. And the raspberry marmalade does provide a nice hint of sweetness which goes so nicely with the meats. There’s nothing that I can specifically find fault with, and there’s plenty to it in regards to portion. It’s just not memorable the same way Disneyland’s Monte Cristo is, and I find it impossible not to compare. And it’s not memorable even compared to the Grilled Three-Cheese here, so I’m sticking with that in future visits.

By the way, for those not craving a hot dish in the Orlando heat (can’t say I blame ya), your option is the Smoked Turkey, Tomato, and Lettuce on Multigrain Bread.

Smoked Turkey, Tomato, and Lettuce on Multigrain Bread with Potato Barrels

Smoked Turkey, Tomato, and Lettuce on Multigrain Bread with Potato Barrels

What can I say? It tasted very fresh, and I always love the mutligrain bread (you’ll find it served with several cold sandwiches around Disney World). In fact, overall Woody’s is already killing it in the Bread Game. But, the sandwich is basically exactly what you’d expect.

You can always dress it up (or any of the other items) with some of the plentiful condiments.

Condiments

Condiments

Condiments

Condiments

Condiments

Condiments

By the way, I grabbed that one with the Potato Barrels (tater tots), and I would mention those, except you’re about to see a LOT more of them.

Because it’s time for TOTCHOS!

Totchos

Totchos

The tater tot “nachos” are topped with chili, cheese, and green onions. And there are even some corn chips tucked in there for a bit of crunch. Essentially, though, these are just chili-cheese fries with the fries switched out for tots. If you love Disney chili, you’ll like this.

Totchos

Totchos

And I do want to give it a couple of extra points for the flavorful queso in addition to the shredded cheddar. That was an unexpected bonus.

Mystic Portal Punch is the Specialty Drink at Woody’s Lunch Box. You can get this one in a Souvenir Alien Sipper, too. And it’s hued to match those Little Green Men.

Mystic Portal Punch

Mystic Portal Punch

I wasn’t expecting much from this drink, honestly, with its Powerade base (Mountain Berry Blast). But the added flavors of lemon-lime and tangerine make this one surprisingly — I have to say it ;) — out of this world! No, seriously, I did really enjoy it!

But not quite as much as I enjoyed the Grown-Ups ‘ Lemonade. Lemonade paired with the interesting choice of black cherry puree are combined with Three Olives Cherry Vodka.

Grown-Ups' Lemonade

Grown-Ups’ Lemonade

Have at it, my fellow grown-ups! For real, it’s really good and refreshing.

Let’s see… what else do we have to eat here in Andy’s backyard? Oh, yes… why, it’s the Lunch Box Tarts!

Raspberry Lunch Box Tart

Raspberry Lunch Box Tart

I ordered the Raspberry Lunch Box Tart, but you can also try a Chocolate-Hazelnut. The Raspberry one is topped with crispy pearls and candied bacon. But the coating is strawberry fondant. It’s the filling inside where you’ll find the raspberry marmalade.

Raspberry Lunch Box Tart

Raspberry Lunch Box Tart

No matter what the filling, the pastry is nicely golden brown.

Raspberry Lunch Box Tart

Raspberry Lunch Box Tart

It’s an obvious play on the popular breakfast toaster tarts we all knew and loved as kids. (Or, let’s be honest — even now!) That’s why these are available for breakfast, too. But I don’t care what time of day you visit Woody’s Lunch Box — just be sure you walk away with a Lunch Box Tart! They’re fun, well-priced for a snack, and the perfect nostalgic and tasty treat!

So before we sign off from Andy’s backyard, let’s discuss if you want to Nosh or Not at Woody’s Lunch Box!

Nosh or Not

You might want to eat at Woody’s Lunch Box if:

• You want to experience absolutely every aspect in Walt Disney World’s newest Land!
  • You love dining in immersive atmospheres — indoors or out!
  • You love tasty grilled sandwiches and comfort food served with a twist!

You might want to pass by Woody’s Lunch Box if:

• You look forward to enjoying air conditioning as part of your rest break when you dine in Disney World.
  • You want to wait for the lines at EVERYTHING in Toy Story Land to calm down a bit before you partake… because this is going to be THE spot for some time to come!
  • You’re worried that the Green Army Men might notify Andy of your presence because you’re a well-behaved toy :) !

Overall

HOORAY for Woody’s Lunch Box!! It is simply awesome to have a fun, tasty, and well-themed counter service meal in Hollywood Studios. In fact, it’s just great to have a strong Counter Service offering in the Studios no matter the meal. All truths told, it’s been a long time coming. Woody’s Lunch Box fills a much-needed void in Hollywood Studios. As much as I’ve always liked Backlot Express, it’s been just about the only counter service spot I’ve been able to recommend in this park for some time now. And since this park is going to be hoppin’ for the foreseeable future, Woody’s Lunch Box is a truly welcome addition in every way, with so much fun theming not only in the area, but in the food as well. And it’s super tasty, to boot! Let’s hope Andy doesn’t return any time soon, because we want Woody’s Lunch Box to feed all of us toys as long as possible!

Want to stay informed of ALL the Disney News?? Sign Up for the Disney Food Blog Newsletter and don’t miss a thing! Click HERE to subscribe!

Are you hoping to eat at Woody’s Lunch Box? Please let us know with a comment!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com! Also, come on over and:

View the full article