Review: Boston Cream Cupcake at Contempo Cafe in Disney’s Contemporary Resort

Disney4me

Welcome back to the Contempo Cafe in Disney’s Contemporary Resort!

The last time we paid a visit to Contempo, we checked out a line-up of five new desserts that had hit the almost-famous Contempo Cafe bakery case. At the time, these included the Strawberry Blondie Banana Split, the Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwich, the Cream Horn, the Swirl Cone Cupcake, and the Peanut Butter Pie.

Yes, that fabulous Peanut Butter Pie is still there (confession: my main motivation for stopping by more recently was to make sure that it indeed was)! In fact, the only one of the five that hasn’t remained on a longer-term basis is the Swirl Cone Cupcake. Of course, that’s not altogether unexpected, seeing as Contempo Cafe has a great reputation for changing up cupcakes quite often. Which is exactly why it’s fun to stop by… you never know what you might find.

This time, my search resulted in finding the Boston Cream Cupcake.

Boston Cream Cupcake

Boston Cream Cupcake

Taking inspiration from the famous Boston Cream Pie (which, in actuality, is a cake as opposed to a traditional pie), this yellow cupcake has a pastry cream filling and is topped with chocolate buttercream icing. The garnish is a chocolate ganache, with an added touch of white and dark chocolate swirls as a bit of decoration.

Boston Cream Cupcake sign

Boston Cream Cupcake sign

Boston Cream Cupcake

Boston Cream Cupcake

A note before we dig in: it can be a good idea to grab one of the Protective Cupcake Domes often available next to the bakery case at the Contempo, especially if it’s high dinner time. On my most recent visit, every space in the restaurant was claimed. So I’m really glad I had the carrier for my trip down the escalator to the comfy couches on the floor below.

Boston Cream Cupcake in Protective Cupcake Dome

Boston Cream Cupcake in Protective Cupcake Dome

But enough about that. Let’s take a look at all that chocolate topping the Boston Cream Cupcake! The chocolate flavor of the buttercream frosting is quite mild, which allows the chocolate ganache to really stand out — very fitting, since the ganache (as opposed to the icing) is more reminiscent of a traditional Boston Cream Pie.

Boston Cream Cupcake Icing and Ganache topping

Boston Cream Cupcake Icing and Ganache topping

In fact, had the rich ganache covered the whole of the frosting (a la a dipped cone), I wouldn’t have minded one bit.

But everyone knows that the best part of a Boston Cream Pie is the custard center, so let’s take a look at it in the cupcake…

Boston Cream Cupcake center

Boston Cream Cupcake center

Pastry Cream in the Boston Cream Cupcake

Pastry Cream in the Boston Cream Cupcake

The vanilla flavor and smooth texture of the pastry cream was spot on with a traditional Boston Cream Pie. YUM! Much like the ganache, though, I could’ve happily welcomed more of it. Essentially, though, all of the elements are there with the Boston Cream Cupcake, offering a fun spin and a way to enjoy this classic dessert in a very “Contemporary” setting!

Would you like to try the Boston Cream Cupcake? Please let us know with a comment!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com!Also, come on over and:

View the full article