Is Tiffins in Disney’s Animal Kingdom Worth Two Disney Dining Plan Credits?

Disney4me

If you are looking for an eclectic meal in the heart of Walt Disney World’s Animal Kingdom, Tiffins could be the right choice. Open just under two years, Tiffins is a Signature Dining experience — which means it requires two Disney Dining Plan table service credits (or quite an investment from your wallet).

But guests agree that dining in Tiffins is as much about the atmosphere as it is the food. The restaurant is inspired by travel and the wonderful adventures that take place when one steps out of one’s comfort zone. You’ll see nods to travel quite literally everywhere — from wall to wall. You’ll also find love for animals and conservation in the artwork at Tiffins, in keeping with the Park’s theme.

The food at Tiffins is an interesting blend of flavors and ingredients from around the globe, and it’s generally enjoyed by guests who yearn for something adventurous in their dining. Tiffins, and her sister Nomad Lounge, adjust their menus with some regularity (particularly on the Small Plates menus), so if you plan on dining here, you’ll want to keep an eye on the menus.

Tiffins Sign, with tiffins on top

Tiffins Sign, with tiffins on top

Atmosphere

You will never be at a loss for what to see at Tiffins as the dining room galleries are chock full of amazing pieces of art. We recommend taking a stroll before or after your meal to really get a sense for the variety and integrity of the decor. Some, like these totem poles, speak to the origins of Animal Kingdom (they’re a rescue from Camp Minnie-Mickey!).

Mickey Minnie Campground Pillars

Mickey Minnie Campground Pillars

This wall of three dimensional butterflies and artwork depicting close-ups of insects celebrates the Earth’s largest class.

Insects and Tiles Portraying Insect Skin Patterns

Insects and Tiles Portraying Insect Skin Patterns

More unusual pieces embrace the odds and ends of travel — like this collection of wires reminiscent of that which travelers sometimes see in villages and towns around the globe.

Electric Wires in Artwork

Electric Wires in Artwork

Seating varies from tables and chairs to comfy booths. The upholstery reminds me of old fashioned suitcases.

Seating

Seating

So what did we eat in this warm and stimulating environment? Let’s find out.

Eats

Tiffins and Nomad Lounge are known for their creative cocktails, so before I could think about food, I had to check out the Specialty Cocktails Menu. You’ll probably want to spend some time with this one because the descriptions of drinks are intriguing.

Cocktails!

Cocktails!

I started with a Snow Leopard Salvation — a combo of Snow Leopard Vodka, Belle de Brillet Pear Liqueur, Mint, Lime Juice, and Ginger Beer.

Snow Leopard Salvation

Snow Leopard Salvation

This drink was super refreshing and tasty. It gives me mint julep vibes.

Snow Leopard Salvation

Snow Leopard Salvation

Lambu Libation is a beautiful drink. It’s comprised of Starr African Rum; Cruzan Banana Rum; Guava Puree; Orange, Lime, and Pineapple Juices; and Gosling’s 151 Rum.

Lambu Libation

Lambu Libation

If you think it looks like POG juice (pineapple/orange/guava combo found in spots around the World), you aren’t far off. It’s like grown up POG juice — and it’s awesome! It might be a bit sweet before a heavy meal, but we definitely recommend it if you think you can handle that!

Lambu Libation

Lambu Libation

Small Plates are all the rage at Nomad Lounge and Tiffins, which share a Small Plates menu. We do see items on this menu change with some frequency, so you might find some of these items have changed if you visit in the future.

Small Plates

Small Plates

There’s also an Appetizer Menu at Tiffins — and it’s loaded with yummy eats like Tiffins Signature Bread Service and Marinated Grilled Octopus!

Don’t Forget To Check Out Our Original Full Review of Tiffins Here!

Apps

Apps

But I opted to skip the Small Plates and Apps and go straight to the Main Courses on this visit, but you can check out some appetizers on our original Tiffins review here!

Main Courses

Main Courses

Main Courses and Enhancements

Main Courses and Enhancements

A meal at Tiffins begins with their lovely complimentary Pomegranate Focaccia Bread, which comes with a mix of Pomegranate, Molasses, and Olive Oil for spreading or dipping.

Pomegranate Foccacia

Pomegranate Foccacia

Some guests find this bread and oil combination a little on the sweet side — but I like it. The oil goes a long way, so pace yourself! But the bread is beautifully baked and seasoned, and the use of pomegranate is unexpected.

Pomegranate, Molasses, and Olive Oil

Pomegranate, Molasses, and Olive Oil

As for Main Courses, the first of the day was Wagyu Striploin and Braised Short Rib. We absolutely devoured this on our first visit to Tiffins in 2016, but this time it fell a little flat for me. The roasted purple potatoes and carrot ribbons are good accompaniments (though not overly creative) — and the chimichurri is outstanding! But the steak was pretty standard and really didn’t wow me. Also, I found the portion to be small for the seriously WAY TOO HIGH price.

Wagyu Striploin and Braised Short Rib

Wagyu Striploin and Braised Short Rib

But the Pan-Seared Duck Breast was outstanding! It comes with a selection of incredible accompaniments, including confit duck leg, parsnip puree, and huckleberry compote.

Pan-Seared Duck Breast

Pan-Seared Duck Breast

It was seriously very very good. The duck was super flavorful and the seasonings and spices were spot on. Again, I do wish the portion size was larger, or the sides more substantial for the price of the entree.

Pan-Seared Duck Breast

Pan-Seared Duck Breast

Dessert time!!

Dessert Menu

Dessert Menu

I opted for the South American Chocolate Ganache, which we also loved on our first visit. And though the composition has changed some, it’s still incredibly indulgent and a decadent way to end the meal.

South American Chocolate Ganache

South American Chocolate Ganache

I loved the caramelized banana slices and the chocolate nib tuiles. The pomegranate sauce was a great foil to the rich chocolate too.

Chocolate Ganache

Chocolate Ganache

Nosh or Not?

You’ll want to give Tiffins a try if: 

• You love to try adventurous and creative food.
  • You’re looking for a cultural experience to go along with your meal.
  • You’re an Animal Kingdom fan and want to explore all of the decor (though you could do this for free).
  • You’re on the Disney Dining Plan. (This restaurant isn’t worth the money paying out of pocket IMO.)

You might want to adventure elsewhere if: 

• You have a tight budget for your trip (or prefer not to spend two DDP table service credits on one meal).
  • You prefer quick service meals in order to maximize your time in the parks.
  • You or your party aren’t very adventurous eaters.
  • You’re looking for a larger portion size for your entrees.

Overall

Tiffins has gotten some very good and some very bad reviews since it opened. The food is fine — and definitely imaginative — but there are definitely better signature dining locations in Disney World. Let us know what you think in the comments!

Check out our Disney World Signature Dining Restaurants RANKED Video here! This will give you a good idea of where to spend those two DDP credits!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com! Also, come on over and:

View the full article