Review: Okalani’s Shave Ice at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

Disney4me

Aloha from Okalani’s Shave Ice!

Okalani's Shave Ice

Okalani’s Shave Ice

This cute little kiosk at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort takes a keen eye to find, but it’s worth the tiny trek.

Okalani's Shave Ice on the Right

Okalani’s Shave Ice on the Right

You’ll find it located by the Resort’s Marina, which is directly down the path towards the pool coming from Trader Sam’s Tiki Terrace.

Okalani's Shave Ice

Okalani’s Shave Ice

For a small spot, it boasts a few snacks including Churros and Cinnamon Glazed Nuts. But the specialty of the hut is, of course, Shave Ice!

Okalani's Shave Ice Menu

Okalani’s Shave Ice Menu

Flavor choices as seen below are pretty much self-explanatory except for the Bahama Mama, which is a Strawberry and Coconut combo.

Okalani's Shave Ice Flavors

Okalani’s Shave Ice Flavors

I chose Sweet Florida Lime in a Flower Cup.

Sweet Florida Lime Shave Ice

I totally would have topped it with Sweetened Condensed Milk, but they were out of both that and the Sour Spray listed on the menu during my visit. I can’t vouch for the Sour Spray, which I’ve never tried, but I think the Sweetened Condensed Milk is worth coughing up the extra $1.41.

A few years ago, the Polynesian served Shave Ice  for a time at Kona Island inside the Great Ceremonial House. The Shave Ice machine moved VERY temporarily to Pineapple Lanai, but then disappeared for quite a while. And I was so bummed because what they served was that snow-like Shave Ice — not the slightly chunkier consistency of a Sno Cone that sometimes gets the name of “Shave Ice,” but just… isn’t.

Thankfully, though, Okalani’s is the same stuff!

This isn’t the best photo, but I think it really shows how fine the ice is shaved.

The day I got my ice was one of the first cold days (by Florida standards) in December; really breezy and in the low 50s. It was gorgeous, but not exactly what you would call “Shave Ice Weather.” So I was walking around eating my Ice while shivering, shaking, and dealing with one of the worst cases of brain freeze I’ve ever given myself.

And it was TOTALLY! WORTH IT!! I don’t know what it is about the mix of finely shaved ice and syrup that makes it so bright and refreshing, but I just love it. (Personally, I prefer it over the Kakigori at Kabuki Cafe in Epcot.) And I am so happy Okalani’s has given it a more “permanent” home at the Polynesian. Current hours are from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm daily, but the spot may close in inclement weather.

So, once again, Aloha! Oh, and Happy Holidays…

Polynesian Village Resort Christmas Tree

Polynesian Village Resort Christmas Tree

Poinsettias at the Polynesian

Poinsettias at the Polynesian

Polynesian Village Resort Entrance

Polynesian Village Resort Entrance

… from Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort!

Read More Reviews and News From Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort Here!

Are you a Shave Ice fan? Please let us know with a comment!

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com! Also, come on over and:

View the full article