Review: Caramel Butter Bar at Karamell-Küche in Epcot’s Germany Pavilion

Disney4me

Karamell-Küche has become a destination all its own within Epcot’s Germany Pavilion.

And with good reason! Even among the Pavilion’s diverse offerings within Biergarten (a Table Service buffet complete with festive entertainment), Sommerfest (the Counter Service spot with NUDEL GRATINNNNN), and Bier Carts and HovelsKaramell-Küche focuses on one thing, and one thing only:

CARAMEL!

From seriously addictive Caramel Corn to Caramel Bacon Squares to the ah-mazing Caramel Pecan Bar (you gotta try it!), it’s hard to take in all the different iterations of caramel treats tucked within the Caramel Kitchen’s bakery case.

And speaking of different iterations…  I noticed a change to one of my favorite golden treats on my last visit when I spotted a sign for the Caramel Butter Bar. It was front and center ahead of what looked suspiciously like the old Caramel Covered Shortbread — also previously known as the Chewy Caramel Bar.

Caramel Butter Bar

Caramel Butter Bar

I wasn’t super concerned at first because this particular snack has been known by a few different names over the years, but basically remained a dependable combo of thick caramel poured atop and in between layers of buttery shortbread.

I figured I was good to go because the “new” Caramel Butter Bar looks… virtually identical to its predecessor. See?

Caramel Shortbread

Caramel Shortbread

It was sporting less of the shortbread topping back then, but otherwise? Twinsies. So, I asked a Cast Member about the update, and she reported that there’s now a layer of caramel fudge in the middle.

But if this is true, it was completely indecipherable in my Caramel Butter Bar.

Caramel Fudge Center?

Caramel Fudge Center?

What IS different about the Caramel Butter Bar, though, is that it’s super duper, duper, duper buttery… to the point that it was greasy.

OK, listen. I am THE LAST PERSON ON THE PLANET to say that something has too much butter in it. When I go to the movies, I specifically ask them to only fill the popcorn up halfway so that I can add enough butter, shake it all down, and then add more butter. And more. So I am as astonished as you are that I’m going to say… there was too much butter.

The shortbread was crumbly and clumpy, like there was too much butter mixed in and not enough sugary, bready goodness.

Caramel Butter Bar

Caramel Butter Bar

The caramel is as lovely as ever, but I could do without the grease slick in my mouth. It’s still caramel and shortbread and you can’t go too terribly wrong with those components. But texturally, it was an abomination. If you give it a try, let us know what you think!

After all, with the Epcot Festival of the Holidays in progress, we should all be spending a little extra time in Epcot’s Germany. Why? Because it’s home to the Caramel Kiss, of course!!

Check out our FAVORITE Karamell-Kuche Snack HERE!

Got a Disney World Trip Planned for November or December? CHECK THIS OUT!

The DFB Guide to the Walt Disney World® Holidays 2017 is a one-of-a-kind resource that will help you get the most out of your holiday vacation at Walt Disney World.
DFB Holiday Guide 2017_2D (1) March 6

It includes over 400 pages of must-have information, including:

• A full What’s New!! chapter for the 2017 Holiday Season
  • A full Monthly Schedule of Events for the Holiday Season
  • How to avoid the crowds on Disney World’s busiest days (and when Disney World closes their parks due to capacity!)
  • ALL of the events, activities, and holiday additions in Walt Disney World. ALL. OF. THEM.
  • And of course we’ll tell you where to eat! ;-D

Order your 2017 Guide now and get 20% off with code PEPPERMINT!

As always, our e-Books are 100% guaranteed! If you don’t love it, you get your money back!

Do you have a go-to Karamell-Küche snack? Let us know below! 

Disney Food Blog Fans, be sure to check out our DFB Disney World Dining Guide e-Books! Find great deals at DFBStore.com! Also, come on over and:

View the full article