Gluten-Free on the Disney Cruise Line

Disney4me

About the Author: Karen Horan is a consultant specializing in Gluten-Free living as well as an avid Disney Fan. Her web site is www.eattolearn.net. They even have a section devoted to Gluten-free dining at Disney!

During our trip, I had the good fortune to have coffee with the Executive Chef of the Disney Magic. Stefan Larsson has worked with various cruise lines for the past ten years and been with Disney for two years. He gave me a ballpark estimate that the Disney Magic has 25 to 35 gluten-free guests per voyage in addition to passengers with other dietary restrictions such as dairy, soy, and nuts. He was able to give me some insight on how DCL is able to accommodate allergy dining.

I learned that DCL has protocol set up for special dietary needs in which dinner orders are taken a day in advance, reviewed by the executive chef and prepared by the head and assistant chefs in the kitchen. With a day's lead time the kitchen can modify most anything on the menu to be gluten-free. DCL attempts to make much of their food allergy friendly by using dedicated fryers and non-gluten thickeners whenever possible. All crew members receive continuous training, including accommodating food allergies. In particular, the staff is trained to politely say no if a dish cannot be verified gluten-free. I especially appreciate this honesty rather than taking a risk with our health and completely ruining our vacation. DCL regularly stocks over twenty different gluten-free products including bagels, donuts, muffins, pasta, rolls, pizza crust, waffle and pancake mix, cookies, brownies, and mac and cheese. Of course items change over time and are subject to availability.

• Notify Disney of food allergies at the time of booking.

• Send in a detailed Medical Form at least three weeks before departing. This form is available on the DCL web site's online check-in area approximately 90 days before departure date.

• Upon boarding the ship, meet with your head server to review menus and needs.

• Be aware that there are 2,000 other non-allergy cruisers on board. Due to the number of meals the kitchen must prepare each day, they must have special orders in advance.

• Buffets are at the guest's own discretion and risk. Although DCL can tell you what each dish contains, it is impossible to be sure other guests have not accidently contaminated them.

• In lieu of eating from buffets, the chefs will be happy to prepare food in the kitchen for you. Please be aware that this is made to order and will take additional time. Giving them advance orders is always appreciated.

• Seven night cruises are recommended over 3 or 4 night cruises. This gives the chefs and servers a chance to really get to know you and accommodate your needs.